Gooseberry Crumble

Loretta Lynn

1401x788-455633634.jpg

Felt it was time that arguably one of the legendary Queens of Country and Western music singer Loretta Lynn who recently turned aged 85 had her own thread. 

Definitely one of the big name figures from this genre of music and she's still touring to this very day! 

Some random facts about Loretta 

She was a big supporter and friend of George Bush and his wife Barbara. Campaigned and sang for them when he stood for US President. 

But she apparently loathed Ronald Reagan and could not bring herself to like him. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn

Has been in the music business for nearly sixty years 

• Like 1

I like Rude Kid's write up on the DDP:

"Country & Western musician, who boasts that her ranch is "the seventh largest tourist attraction in Tennessee". Dizzy heights of fame indeed."

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

1401x788-455633634.jpg

Felt it was time that arguably one of the legendary Queens of Country and Western music singer Loretta Lynn who recently turned aged 85 had her own thread. 

Definitely one of the big name figures from this genre of music and she's still touring to this very day! 

She was a big supporter and friend of George Bush and his wife Barbara. Campaigned and sang for them when he stood for US President. 

But she apparently loathed Ronald Reagan and could not bring herself to like him. 

She has half a brain then.

Recently as in a few days ago thanked fans for their best wishes on her 85th birthday. She held a big celebration birthday concert. 

Not bad at all for 85!

6 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Have her political views changed in recent years? 

According to this, she "likes" Trump, Obama AND Clinton:  http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/262115-loretta-lynn-predicts-president-trump

I take back my statement about her having half a brain. She has 20% of a brain at max.

6 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

According to this, she "likes" Trump, Obama AND Clinton:  http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/262115-loretta-lynn-predicts-president-trump

I take back my statement about her having half a brain. She has 20% of a brain at max.

I think she is a republican but perhaps just likes Obama and Clinton in a personal sense rather than politically? 

I know that George Bush senior and his wife Barbara adore Bill Clinton on a personal level. 

Having said that liking Trump and downplaying his behaviour as Donald is Donald is just blurrghh! 

Not sure Loretta is one of ours on age alone. BBC Four ran a documentary not that long ago covering her working into her eighties and she's was on top of everything (plans, gigs, making records and talking about her history)

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Not sure Loretta is one of ours on age alone. BBC Four ran a documentary not that long ago covering her working into her eighties and she's was on top of everything (plans, gigs, making records and talking about her history)

Oh I get where you are coming from but I've known a few people in my own life who have been really active and able well into old age and then have a rapid decline or die "suddenly"  or unexpectedly. 

Appearances can sometimes be an unreliable predictor. 

There may be some truth in the saying that creaky old doors last the longest! 

At 85 and given her level of fame I felt a thread was a good idea. 

7 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

1401x788-455633634.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loretta_Lynn

Has been in the music business for nearly sixty years 

Is your needle stuck?

• Like 1

Hospitalized with a stroke, though expected to fully recover.

Weird how Gooseberry starts all these threads for people with no real health issues then suddenly one of them falls ill... I guess it's like National Enquirer with Michael Jackson's death, when you go through umpteen names, you'll inevitably land on one of them. :P

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Death Impends said:

Hospitalized with a stroke, though expected to fully recover.

Weird how Gooseberry starts all these threads for people with no real health issues then suddenly one of them falls ill... I guess it's like National Enquirer with Michael Jackson's death, when you go through umpteen names, you'll inevitably land on one of them. :P

OMG Thank you! 

I'd hate to think I had jinxed her! :o :(

I predict she might retire after this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I predict she might retire after this.

I suspect that you are right. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on her social media from now on. 

I mentioned this thread to the wife last night.

"Poster on Deathlist made shitloads of new threads the other week, including one for Loretta Lynn, who was neither ill or famous enough. Well, she's just had a stroke."

"What do you mean? Loretta Lynn is very famous!"

Well, that's me told by my own version of the Clapham bus knowledge test, then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

I mentioned this thread to the wife last night.

"Poster on Deathlist made shitloads of new threads the other week, including one for Loretta Lynn, who was neither ill or famous enough. Well, she's just had a stroke."

"What do you mean? Loretta Lynn is very famous!"

Well, that's me told by my own version of the Clapham bus knowledge test, then.

I guess this is just another example of cultural clash between Muricans and Brits.

Y'all don't think Loretta Lynn, Judge Wapner, or Pat Harrington are famous enough.

Meanwhile, I never heard of Brian Matthew, Colin Dexter, or Desmond Carrington until I read posts about their death on these forums.

• Like 1

I thought Loretta Lynn was the Katharine Hepburn of Country.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-7 at 13:35, RadGuy said:

I guess this is just another example of cultural clash between Muricans and Brits.

Y'all don't think Loretta Lynn, Judge Wapner, or Pat Harrington are famous enough.

Meanwhile, I never heard of Brian Matthew, Colin Dexter, or Desmond Carrington until I read posts about their death on these forums.

I too am genuinely surprised more poster's don't view her as a country and music legend -indeed One of the Queens of Country and Western which is a reasonably popular genre in the UK. 

Could also be generational. Their was an Oscar winning Biopic about her in 1980,and her heday in the charts was 60s and 70s. I could see people in the UK of a certain age knowing who she is, but people of a younger generation not knowing unless they specifically seek out earlier decades of pop culture .

I would say she is famous, yes. 

I've no idea who Judge Wapner is though, and I'd never heard of Pat Harrington until he was a DDP hit.

• Like 1

I know who Loretta Lynn is but couldn't name any of her songs or albums.I would not have said Pat Harrington JR or Joseph Wapner were famous enough for the DL but then again I wouldnt have said that Gord Downie or Errol Christie were so what do I know!

• Like 2

As always, say you were Family Fortunes/Pointless quizzing the UK general public "name a country singer". How far down would LL rank? My guess is the list would probably go something like:

1. Dolly Parton

2. Taylor Swift

3. Johnny Cash

4. Kenny Rogers

5. Tammy Wynette

6. Willie Nelson

7. Garth Brooks

Would all definitely beat her... would she be above or below Hank Williams, Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood?

• Like 1

Tammy Wynette would surely be above her?

Is Taylor Swift a country singer? Well this forum truly is a source of diverse knowledge. 

EDIT: And that one who sang 'That don't impress me much'

EDIT EDIT: Shania Twain - thank you Google.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Well this list http://www.billboard.com/photos/6721954/best-country-artists-of-all-time shows I know f'all about Country singers!! Never heard of half of them.

Shania would easily, yes.

And Glen Campbell, weird that we'd forget his name.

Also TayTay was a country singer, although she's abandoned the sound on recent albums. This is as hickory-smoked as it gets though: