Gooseberry Crumble

Loretta Lynn

On 01/01/2022 at 11:43, The Old Crem said:

Hear hear. Pleasantly surprised she remains on the list. 

Is she really famous in the US? Looking at Wikipedia, most of her albums struggled to scrape into the top 100 (or even 200).

She's had no success at all in the UK afaik, although her little sister (Crystal Gayle) had some hit singles going back 40 years or so.

Doesn't appear to be any news that would justify her being on the list, let alone so high.

11 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Is she really famous in the US? Looking at Wikipedia, most of her albums struggled to scrape into the top 100 (or even 200).

She's had no success at all in the UK afaik, although her little sister (Crystal Gayle) had some hit singles going back 40 years or so.

Doesn't appear to be any news that would justify her being on the list, let alone so high.

Have you seen some of the past DL picks? She's famous enough.

Loretta Lynn is a household name southern U.S, same with Dolly Parton or Reba McEntire

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Have you seen some of the past DL picks? She's famous enough.

Loretta Lynn is a household name southern U.S, same with Dolly Parton or Reba McEntire

And had a mainstream hollywood movie Coalminers daughters made about her in the 1980s. 

Definitely well known in US. Basically the type of name who is so big in country circles that it translates to name recognition outside of it, even if I wouldn't be able to hum any of her songs.

• Like 2

And in the UK documentaries about her have aired  more than once on major channels

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Definitely well known in US. Basically the type of name who is so big in country circles that it translates to name recognition outside of it, even if I wouldn't be able to hum any of her songs.

Strangely enough I have hummed to this song of Loretta Lynns on a few jukeboxes in  bars over the years. 

Before I'm over you is a fab little song!

Loretta serenaded  on her 90th birthday by  Dolly Parton .  What an emotional  tonic and  boost that would be.  Dolly is a pure joy.

A good 90th  and the emotional warmth that comes with it may well keep  her going a bit  longer. 

• Like 1

Blimey.

• Like 1

Figures one of the Muppet Show guest stars would die while I'm in the middle of marathoning it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

:rip: Wasn't expecting her to go this year, despite her past health problems.

• Like 1

On 30/09/2022 at 15:39, markb4 said:

If OK! Magazine is to be trusted, she's currently planning her own funeral:

https://okmagazine.com/p/country-queen-loretta-lynn-planning-own-funeral/

One of those rare instances where the clickbait website was onto something!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

^^ Heh, did she finish the planning in time?

• Like 1

I was introduced to Loretta Lynn musically through Sinead O'Connor. She did an absolutely amazing cover of Loretta's song "Success" which is now called "Success has made a failure of our home". For me personally one of the best interpretations, further developments and improvements of a song based on a nice song.

R.I.P. Loretta!

• Like 1

A triumph for the committee as she does not appear on the Crowdsourced or Drop 40 lists

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

A triumph for the committee as she does not appear on the Crowdsourced or Drop 40 lists

Ran out of steam on TCD nominations after an early start. 3rd name in 3 days to die who made the top 100 but didn't make the actual 50.

• Like 3

I'm saddened by this news but glad  the committee brought her back on to the  list.

I feel she is slightly underrated as a singer and songwriter.  Some of her songs such as Before I'm over you  are great little tunes. 

Pleased I originally  advocated for her back in 2017 when I started this thread. 

Rest in peace. 

• Like 1

RIP Loretta Lynn :(

Such a shame, I didn’t expected her to go this year, love her album "Don't come home a drinkin' man", I listen to it regularly as a huge fan of old country… a miss for me