Sign in to follow this  
ObakeFilter

Stephen Hillenburg

I don't think he needs his own thread quite yet. He is someone I can see on the list in a few years, but I don't think he needs one right now.

23 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I don't think he needs his own thread quite yet. He is someone I can see on the list in a few years, but I don't think he needs one right now.

He does ALS is unpredictable .if he makes 2018 and he would be a good pick not great but decent enough.Incredibly notable and obitable.one to trace closely.

I agree he probably shouldn`t be on the main list next year...unless news comes in that he is going downhill fast.Hence why a thread is a good idea.

• Like 1

He strikes me as more of a DDP name, eventually, than one of the Deathlist 50.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, msc said:

He strikes me as more of a DDP name, eventually, than one of the Deathlist 50.

He created Spongebob Squarepants he is easily famous enough for the Death list.

Just now, Shaun of the Dead said:

He created Spongebob Squarepants he is easily famous for the Death list.

It's nothing to do with him being famous or not, but if he's the type of person the Cmme would go for.

Besides, as an example, Garfield the cat is world famous, who many folk can name his creator? Jim Davis, incidentally, but the point stands.

• Like 1

Same could be said for Sam Simon.Most people wouldnt know he was but his creation made him extremely notable.

• Like 1

Simon was more known by cultural osmosis, his name has appeared right at the start of every Simpsons episode ever - plus Taxi way back in the day (which the Cmme tend to be of the age to have enjoyed).

I'd never heard of Hillenburg prior to ALS.

Your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Actually, his name did show up at the beginning of the shows credits as well, iirc during when I did actually watch the show.

Msc you are obviously coming from a place of bias. Sponge Bob is one of the most popular kids shows ever. This argument is over Stephen Hillenburg the creator of spongebob is defiantly obitable. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Msc you are obviously coming from a place of bias. Sponge Bob is one of the most popular kids shows ever. This argument is over Stephen Hillenburg the creator of spongebob is defiantly obitable. 

He's not arguing over his obitability, we all know he will obit quite easily. He's arguing that he's not the sort of name you would see on the deathlist front page.

• Like 1

Definitely famous enough for the list.

He's more on the lower spectrum of DL fame, though, like Gord Downie.

• Like 1

He's famous enough. Do you remember Brother Theodore?

Weird thing is Brother Theodore is famous, just not in the UK at all and nothing he was on made it over to this country. Although the DL has always been Amerophilic....

I've known his name for many years, but SpongeBob was pretty much my bread and butter growing up so there might be some bias there...

I feel like his DL chances rely entirely on if any of the committee members had a child big on SpongeBob and thus they became familiar with him as a parent.

• Like 1

A source close to Hillenburg said he received the diagnosis recently and is in the early stages of the disease. ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, is a rare terminal illness that affects nerve cells in the brain and the spinal cord.

If he only got the diagnosis recently he should survive the rest of this year at least. He could be a good pick for 2018 though.

2 minutes ago, LilyForrester said:

If he only got the diagnosis recently he should survive the rest of this year at least. He could be a good pick for 2018 though.

I think the average is 5 years from early initial diagnosis.

9 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

I think the average is 5 years from early initial diagnosis.

True, but ALS is unpredictable, as you showed the Israeli sportscaster.

1 minute ago, LilyForrester said:

True, but ALS is unpredictable, as you showed the Israeli sportscaster.

On the other hand, there's also people who can last a long time with ALS, albeit Mr Stephen Hawking 

Didn't that one producer from God's Not Dead only survive like a month with ALS back in 2015?

And my DDP savior cancerless cancer mum Sara Hankins lived just a year.

12 hours ago, RadGuy said:

Didn't that one producer from God's Not Dead only survive like a month with ALS back in 2015?

And my DDP savior cancerless cancer mum Sara Hankins lived just a year.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/russell-wolfe-dead-dies-gods-not-dead-1201508419/

According to this he was diagnosed during the film’s release (which is in March 2014) and passed away in May 2015.