gcreptile

Olivia Newton-John

6 hours ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Undoubtedly one of the most iconic film scenes and songs.Hard to believe she was nearly 30 here.

Stockard Channing was even older!!

My Dads cancer spread to his spine and that was it.

She has a few months if that.

Terrible, its a fucking awful way to go. :(

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

My Dads cancer spread to his spine and that was it.

She has a few months if that.

Terrible, its a fucking awful way to go. :(

Very sorry to hear that, LFN. :(  

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I get it very much from my heterosexual parents who loved all those 1950s/1960s shows. And my very strict Presbyterian theatre going grandparents.

You just aren't human if you don't like or identify with at least one musical...

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? :P  I didn't think the more hardcore Calvinists in the old days were too fond of plays and theatre, or was that only back in the 1600s?

Personal question, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to but were your grandparents okay about it when you came out or were they gone by then? (I guess I am just curious to know about how different religions react to these things.)

5 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Isn't that a contradiction in terms? :P  I didn't think the more hardcore Calvinists in the old days were too fond of plays and theatre, or was that only back in the 1600s?

Personal question, so you don't have to answer if you don't want to but were your grandparents okay about it when you came out or were they gone by then?

Oh no my grandfather was a minister. Loved Burns Nights and showing off, even pulled enough of a crowd and a collection to build a fully operational theatre in the Church where he preached (still there today).

I believe by the time I came out both granddads were dead and both grandmothers were suffering with what would now be called Alzheimers. So all beyond caring, I'd say.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh no my grandfather was a minister. Loved Burns Nights and showing off, even pulled enough of a crowd and a collection to build a fully operational theatre in the Church where he preached (still there today).

I believe by the time I came out both granddads were dead and both grandmothers were suffering with what would now be called Alheizeimers. So all beyond caring, I'd say.

Cheers.  I think it might have been more back in the 1600s that the early Calvinists and Puritans didn't like theatre, because of the alleged licentiousness.  That's why Shakespeare sometimes had a shot back at them in some of his plays.  I thought the attitude might have carried on down into the 20th C.  

Not really when you think about it. My grandparents would all have been brought up during the 1920s and 1930s when there was much more freedom and positivity after the end of WWI. I have no idea about my great-grandparents though, I think they all died quite young as my parents didn't really know them.

So the job of the Church was to show restraint, helped along by WWII and rationing. But I do know the theatre was a huge part of their lives.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

You just aren't human if you don't like or identify with at least one musical...

Generally not a fan of musicals (many of them are way too overblown now a days), but I can always smile watching Singing In The Rain.

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Generally not a fan of musicals (many of them are way too overblown now a days), but I can always smile watching Singing In The Rain.

Yeah, I liked Paddington Bear as a kid too.

B)

3 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Cheers.  I think it might have been more back in the 1600s that the early Calvinists and Puritans didn't like theatre, because of the alleged licentiousness.  That's why Shakespeare sometimes had a shot back at them in some of his plays.  I thought the attitude might have carried on down into the 20th C.  

When the Caledonian burned down in 1849, there were still voices that it were an Act of God.

Not sure why their God hated Shakespeare. Must have been a school kid with a crap English teacher.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Wait, just came up with this one:

She's Xanadoomed.

You went there?.........

........A place where nobody dares to go.

I am so nicking this for my work game where 3 players out of 58 have picked ONJ.

This has a bit of a Freddie Mercury feel to it. I think she might be gone sooner than we think.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I get it very much from my heterosexual parents who loved all those 1950s/1960s shows. And my very strict Presbyterian theatre going grandparents.

Oh no my alien origins have been revealed. Time to move to phase 2 of the invasion.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, msc said:

When the Caledonian burned down in 1849, there were still voices that it were an Act of God.

Change 1849 to 1984 and when York Minster Cathedral caught fire, there were still people claiming it was an act of God.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Change 1849 to 1984 and when York Minster Cathedral caught fire, there were still people claiming it was an act of God.

But equating David Jenkins with musical theatre is a bit harsh.

20 hours ago, msc said:

Oh no, not those Ali vs Bowie debates again! Hah.

Roger Moore is a far bigger star, imo. Newton-John was a pop culture icon, but Moore was Bond. You could go to any country in the planet, pretty much, point to a picture of him, and folk would know who it was.

Also, Grease is fucking awful, but that's just my view.

Agree that it wasn't a great film, but in terms of a hot leading lady it is right up there with the best.

Never heard of here before, but RIP.  Will check out her movies. 

7 minutes ago, RobertMugabe said:

:clivedunn:

3 hours ago, RobertMugabe said:

Almost jumped when you said RIP :facepalm:

• Like 1

Bad joke, but the Deathlist headline of her death is going to be "Sandy Dee-ceased", isnt it?

• Like 2

Surely it will be Olivia Newton-Gone?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Surely it will be Olivia Newton-Gone?

Olivia neutron bombed?

• Like 6

Hopelessly deadvoted to you.

• Like 1

She dared to go to Xanadu.