gcreptile

Olivia Newton-John

If she is in agony and struggling to leave her bed it is probably spread extensively into the bones.

31 minutes ago, ImNotHades said:

She will die but not in this decade. Set Your eyes on Kathy Bates instead. It's all fine unless it spreads to inner organs. She has enough money to win this one....Cancer can last for a decade and still not kill "the host".

I never knew Kathy Bates was ill? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

She was, she had Breast Cancer and Ovarian Cancer. I think they were comparing how it returned in Olivia Newton-John to how it returned in Kathy Bates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImNotHades said:

Unlike most people, she's rich so she'll have the best doctors. Bowie lived long with that thing, my aunt didn't. 18 months and 6 months is not the same for the same cancer. As doctor once said "More money, more music" (old Croatian wisdom....)

Sorry for your loss. Regarding the cancer though, I don't think that David Bowie's totally different kind of cancer (liver cancer) is in any way informative for Olivia's case. 

Yes, having enough money and living in a country where she can access high quality Western health care certainly won't hurt her, but she seems a bit too optimistic about this whole affair ('Just a bit of photon radiation treatment and a hint of a beetroot juice/hemp oil/... and I'll be back in no time'). 

Edited by GossipGabe
Typo (excess > access)

Just now, GossipGabe said:

Yes, having enough money and living in a country where she can excess high quality Western health care certainly won't hurt her, but she certainly seems a bit too optimistic about it ('Just a bit of photon radiation treatment and a hint of a beetroot juice/hemp oil/... and I'll be back in no time'). 

Optimism does add a little bit of time though, hopefully in 2018...

Aye Gabe.  Graham Chapman - metastatic spinal cancer (think his started off as cancer of the tonsils) - sadly gone in a few short months.  Yet Cleese still lives....

28 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Oh, I have to adjust the probabilities....

It says it's a 10 month prognosis and she's complained about back pain and being bedbound for about 2 months. With treatment it'll probably extend her life by 3-4 months. So about April or May 2018?

Was Paul Newman the last big name that we knew they had cancer but didn't make the starting line the following year? I think most big names celebrities usually last till the following year if they had cancer. 

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Was Paul Newman the last big name that we knew they had cancer but didn't make the starting line the following year? I think most big names celebrities usually last till the following year if they had cancer. 

Smokin' Joe.

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Stefan Karl and AA Gill come to mind. Not big names but are deathlisty.

2 hours ago, ImNotHades said:

She will die

No shit

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Pier Sellers and AA Gill come to mind. Not big names but are deathlisty.

FTFY, and I mean actual huge household names world wide, not people that are notable enough for the list (as I never heard of Sellers or Gill before this forum, but I knew they would've been good enough for the list). 

Socrates (he was bloody massive, Joey), Larry Hagman, and Joe Cocker also come to mind.

We only knew Gill and Sellers had cancer in the same year they died so that doesnt count.

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just now, Shaun of the Dead said:

We only knew Gill and Sellers had cancer in the same year they died so that doesnt count.

Fits in with Joey's query though.

PS Smokin Joe lasted 2 days (?) after announcement.

Christopher Hitchens John Hurt Lynne Stewart 

They all outlasted their original diagnosis in earlier years. 

1 hour ago, GossipGabe said:

she seems a bit too optimistic about this whole affair 

She's always been an optimistic person so her (public) reaction is going to be thus. Plus she's been a bit new agey for a while - definitely since her original cancer bout - so her comment about also using complimentary natural therapies isn't surprising either. They didn't do her any harm last time; indeed, she suffered the side effects of cancer treatment a lot less than many. Of course, she probably just got lucky but there's no harm in natural remedies *as well as* the usual treatment.

Given this news, and the fact it took her 35 years to play the UK, I'm *so* glad I got the chance to see her live in Brighton back in 2013. Second row seats and she was amazing *AND* she sang Long Live Love, which I'll admit to having a tear in my eye at. She's wonderful and I wish her all the best.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Was and has a family full of illnesses.

3 hours ago, GossipGabe said:

Sorry for your loss. Regarding the cancer though, I don't think that David Bowie's totally different kind of cancer (liver cancer) is in any way informative for Olivia's case. 

Yes, having enough money and living in a country where she can access high quality Western health care certainly won't hurt her, but she seems a bit too optimistic about this whole affair ('Just a bit of photon radiation treatment and a hint of a beetroot juice/hemp oil/... and I'll be back in no time'). 

I was just comparing it to normal people and "others", seems that people like Steve Jobs have 9 lives. We'll see....

1 hour ago, Vinegar Tits said:

No shit

You forgot "Sherlock".

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

All the houses then were treated to a showing of Bugsy Malone in the assembly hall, and we as winners also got a trip to the cinema to see Grease. It was utterly fantastic on the big screen with the huge speakers belting out the choons. A tear came during Hopelessly Devoted To You, I'll freely admit.

So what they say about gays loving musical theatre is true then!

Sorry, couldn't resist....  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Book said:

I really love Olivia Newton-John; Xanadu is one of my all time favorite songs for ever and ever!!! I know I know, the movie isn't that good, but the soundtrack is!!! :wub:

I'll happily trade the (half-)Australian Olivia Newton John for some of your cute German actresses! :D  

How about our Olivia in exchange for Alex Neldel, Jasmin Tabatabai and Liane Forestieri?  Good deal?  Only problem is Olivia's warranty might be about to run out...  

2 minutes ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

So what they say about gays loving musical theatre is true then!

Sorry, couldn't resist....  

I get it very much from my heterosexual parents who loved all those 1950s/1960s shows. And my very strict Presbyterian theatre going grandparents.

You just aren't human if you don't like or identify with at least one musical...

Ah, Bugsy  Malone is great,  though. (Last saw it about 27 years ago in school, mind.)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I get it very much from my heterosexual parents who loved all those 1950s/1960s shows. And my very strict Presbyterian theatre going grandparents.

You just aren't human if you don't like or identify with at least one musical...

That'd be Sweeney Todd for me then!  :o  Only kidding...

As I publically admitted in the Liza Minelli thread, I am a straight man who actually likes Judy Garland (well, before she totally lost the plot anyway).  Thatone with Leslie Caron and the giant puppets is fun, too... That's about the limit for me, though.  

EDIT:  The Caron/puppets film is called "Lili". 

• Like 1