Wormfarmer

ABC Deadpool - a new one by Wormfarmer

Well, I can see where this is going.  I appreciate all the input.  I also like free play, but I just figured that it would be fun to have the extra incentive to have something to play for.  But I kind of see now that a lot of you guys already put a very high level of effort into it with or without the stakes.  So we will carry on as last year, with only a symbolic trophy to the winner. 

I also appreciate the ideas from Toast on how to get the game started.  But I am not sure if I have the gumption for all the organizing and retyping needed on my end . . . . .let me think. 

I don't see anything so far against the idea of jokers, so that may be the way to go this year.  Ears still open to more feedback until the end of June .  . . . .

5 minutes ago, Wormfarmer said:

I also appreciate the ideas from Toast on how to get the game started.  But I am not sure if I have the gumption for all the organizing and retyping needed on my end . . . . .let me think.

Maryportfc has a good system for this. 

You open a thread for the new game, and you make a couple more posts after the opening post.

These are reserved for the master list, scoreboard and list of teams.  You can fill them in later at your leisure, using the edit facility.

Teams are easy, most people will post their teams once the game has started and then you can just copy & paste them in.

So it's just the master list to be done from scratch, and you only have to do it once.

Having the scoreboard on the first page means you can periodically edit it for updates, and it's easy to find.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. If the entries are to be PMed to Wormfamer, than how can we know whether or not anyone else has designated any of the names as JOKERS? Maybe not have Jokers?

2. If a Choice we should make dies before the official start, should we just PM the replacement? (Having substitutes will not work in this game since there would have to be one for each letter.)

Hopefully this won't be a large issue though.

56 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

1. If the entries are to be PMed to Wormfamer, than how can we know whether or not anyone else has designated any of the names as JOKERS? Maybe not have Jokers?

2. If a Choice we should make dies before the official start, should we just PM the replacement? (Having substitutes will not work in this game since there would have to be one for each letter.)

Hopefully this won't be a large issue though.

1.  There's no need for jokers to be exclusive.

2.  Yes, substitutes to be provided only when necessary.

• Thanks 1

I think with the jokers part he could make a public list of used jokers so people are less likely to joker someone who’s been jokered already from someone...

50 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think with the jokers part he could make a public list of used jokers so people are less likely to joker someone who’s been jokered already from someone...

But why bother?   This rule was intended to replace the "protected" picks, but if as I suggested the entries are kept confidential until the pool starts, there's no need for it.  There's no opportunity to copy or be be influenced by other contestants' choices.

This is all becoming very unclear. If we are to submit teams by the end of the month, I do think we need clarity on a definitive set of rules.

Give me a minute to sort this all out.  I will end the speculation and set some clarity soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 05/06/2017 at 20:16, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

A - Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi (1971)
B - Bobby Heenan (1944)
C - Glen Campbell (PROTECTED) (1936)
D - Gord Downie (1964)
E - Clarissa Eden (1920)
F - June Foray (1917)
G - George H.W. Bush (PROTECTED) (1924)
H - John Hume (1937)
I - Iris Apfel (1921)
J - Katherine Johnson (1918)
K - Asghar Khan (1921)
L - Loretta Lynn (1932)
M - Jerry Maren (1920)
N - Olivia Newton-John (1948)
O - Orrin Hatch (1934)
P - Boris Pahor (1913)
Q - Quincy Jones (PROTECTED) (1933)
R - Roberta McCain (1912)
S - Prunella Scales (1932)
T - Prem Tinsulanonda (1920)
U - Kim Jong Un (1983)
V - Vera Lynn (1917)
W - Walter Mondale (1928)
X - Xxxtentacion (1998)
Y - Yoko Ono (1933)
Z - Lofti A. Zadeh (PROTECTED) (1921)

Seems I chose X in this pool too. 

@Wormfarmer Asghar Khan died on January 5th and got a QO via the Mail. Points should be added there...

Thanks Joey, for catching the missed hit way back in Jan.  It has been a big jump for Zsa Zsa since the last update, but it appears time will run out on his surge and pending a last minute hail mary from Wormfarmer, GC Reptile will take the title. 

I am in the middle of a move, and just now got my computer up and running at the new house.  So I have a lot of catching up to do before the new game starts.  Suffice to say, those who intend to play can get a list of 26 names together, very similar to last year, but keeping in mind I will be less generous with prefixes and titles (like Queen, unless that really is the person's name [as in Queen Latifah]).  Also, single named individuals (Beyonce, Cher) will be counted as a first name, unless it is clearly documented that they are using their surname. Finally for now, the 1937 bonus will become the 1938 bonus. 

I will try to start the new thread and lead off with the rules by Saturday.  Thanks for your patience.  It is a busy time for me to be starting a new pool!

On 17/04/2018 at 18:16, Wormfarmer said:

GC Reptile (Christie, Van Zandvliet, Wraw, Young, Johnson, Meads, Irwin, Hvorostovsky, Goodwin, Francis) 39 pts

Wormfarmer (Christie, Fawkes, Van Zandvliet, Ahmed, Heenan, Downie, Nevin, Graham, B Bush) 36 pts

Zsa Zsa's Leg (Campbell, Foray, Zadeh, Downie, Heenan, Maren, Khan, Xxxtentacion) 25 pts

Young Willz (Cant, Hefner, M. Young, Gilbert, Groning, J Jackson) 19 pts

The Unknown Man (Kohl, Lewis, Downie, Berkowitz, Fabray, Graham) 15 pts

Bibliogryphon (Hardy, Aldiss, Emberg, M.Wilson) 12 pts

Shaun of the Dead (Fawkes, Downie, Booth, Michael of Romania, Graham) 11 pts

Fixed Business - (Talabani, Kamprad, Dodd, R.Wilson, Maren) 9 pts

Joey Russ  (Forsyth) 2 pts

Young Willz slides in one more timely hit which puts him into solo 4th.  

Edited by Wormfarmer
another score

The hits are still coming at the end, but time is running out.  Meanwhile, the new thread has been started for ABC Deadpool II, so check it out as you have a couple more days to enter.  

Looks like year 1 of the ABC Deadpool is in the books!  GCReptile takes it with an impressive 10 letters and 39 pts.  Also on the podium are respectable finishes by Wormfarmer and Zsa Zsa's Leg.  Unfortunately it looks like Zsa Zsa will be opting to not defend his 3rd place finish in the pools' second year, which has already closed for entries in a new thread.  We have 18 entries for year 2, so the pool has exactly doubled in size.  Solo and duo bonuses will be in effect.  Thanks for playing in year 1, and good luck to you all in year 2!

1. GC Reptile (Christie, Van Zandvliet, Wraw, Young, Johnson, Meads, Irwin, Hvorostovsky, Goodwin, Francis) 39 pts

2. Wormfarmer (Christie, Fawkes, Van Zandvliet, Ahmed, Heenan, Downie, Nevin, Graham, B Bush) 36 pts

3. Zsa Zsa's Leg (Campbell, Foray, Zadeh, Downie, Heenan, Maren, Khan, Xxxtentacion) 25 pts

4. Young Willz (Cant, Hefner, M. Young, Gilbert, Groning, J Jackson) 19 pts

5. The Unknown Man (Kohl, Lewis, Downie, Berkowitz, Fabray, Graham) 15 pts

6. Bibliogryphon (Hardy, Aldiss, Emberg, M.Wilson) 12 pts

7. Shaun of the Dead (Fawkes, Downie, Booth, Michael of Romania, Graham) 11 pts

8. Fixed Business - (Talabani, Kamprad, Dodd, R.Wilson, Maren) 9 pts

9. Joey Russ  (Forsyth) 2 pts

• Like 3

Yay, I got the wooden spoon for this one. :) 

Congrats gcreptile on the win. 

• Like 1

Well done gcreptile, another Hall of Fame entry for you.

Thank you to Wormfarmer for hosting this. I look forward to improving on what may be my best finish in a deathpool!

• Like 1

Thanks!

Quite close until the end. The early submission might have helped as well, because it blocked Errol Christie and Connie Johnson for others. And Wormfarmer missed obits for Zoltan Sarosy and Barys Kit.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Thanks!

Quite close until the end. The early submission might have helped as well, because it blocked Errol Christie and Connie Johnson for others. And Wormfarmer missed obits for Zoltan Sarosy and Barys Kit.

Yes, I didn't want to sound like sour grapes, but I also missed the QO for Nabeel Qureshi, so that was 3 of my 4 protected names, plus 2 of my premium letters (Q and Z).  So that really hurt.  But nonetheless, it was a very well played list by gcreptile, congrats!