gcreptile

Activists

Cynthia Heimel is dead according to this:

Well done TJS on the gamble (I assume she’ll obit). 

• Like 2

Turns out she had dementia. I had no clue what her illness was, went brave on her due to a single tweet and her complete Twitter silence for about a year. Now the wait is on for an obit, surely Guardian acknowledges her?

Must have been personally known information.  Alls fair of course....but Google provides nothing about Heimel being ill, sick, hospitalized, suffering or battling a disease, nothing.  No idea other than personal knowledge why she'd have been in anyone's radar.  Well done.  [If otoh it's tweet-referenced hinted info, I don't and won't tweet, my loss].
SC

(Edit - ok posted almost same time as explanation above.  As stated, good on you for following Twitter).

(Edit 2: Where the hell do you see she had dementia?)  

Well, DI ain't one of the GOAT based on only reading the Ideas thread every Christmas!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

(Edit 2: Where the hell do you see she had dementia?)  

One of the tweets mourning her.

Well Done, DI! Good to see you rewarded for the risk (I assume the Guardian is the only, but very likely obit source.). I tried the one-tweet + silence thing for my first B-Team with Roh Tae-Woo and Jim McLean - didn't work. I would have risked it again (and been rewarded) if Labour MP Frank Doran had survived that one tweet for more than 24 hours.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

One of the tweets mourning her.

Funny thing actually. On Facebook, there was a post dating back to September 2017 that she was suffering from dementia and was in a nursing home.

The strange things you learn while doing research sometimes...

EDIT: Well, link isn't working, so maybe someone else can post it if they know how to, but it's out there.

Funny you should post their deaths which coincidentally also means they're out of a job, no longer active.

Not a QO, but the New York Times write about how interesting of a person she really was. Really was a person that I wished I knew about, and she would've been a B Team lock next year for me if B team's (which I have a feeling that they'll go defunct) and Heimel were still around in 2019...

Noticed that one of Heimel's Twitter mourners is a Sunday Times columnist. Possible this won't be a Guardian-or-bust case?

I'm thinking of an Observer (Guardian weekend) obit. 

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Not a QO, but the New York Times write about how interesting of a person she really was. Really was a person that I wished I knew about, and she would've been a B Team lock next year for me if B team's (which I have a feeling that they'll go defunct) and Heimel were still around in 2019...

Well keep in mind, though the pinnacle source for celebrity obits in USA, it's also the local paper for NYC.  Just like your local paper.  She was a New Yorker, lived in Manhattan, wrote for the Village Voice.  So where you may be over-emphasizing her celeb, she is basically getting a local write-up.   You don't see  many other U.S. major rags giving an obit (yet) do you? (Washington Post, Phily paper). 
So yes it's a NYTimes obit, but not sure in this case it's going to go transcontinental.
SC

On 3/1/2018 at 15:43, Joey Russ said:

Well, the independent has an obit. Will be very dissapointing if that’s the only UK source that reports her...

Updating your disappointment as of April 24.

If guests were able to post, I could easily see them post her death in the June Brown thread claiming that Dot Cotton is dead...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

So when MLK was choosing who would be his top aide he was out picking Cotton?

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

If guests were able to post, I could easily see them post her death in the June Brown thread claiming that Dot Cotton is dead...

I was tempted.

Suman Virk, the mother of slain teen Reena Virk, who became an anti-bullying activist following her daughter's death, has died.  She was 58.  No specific cause of death was given but it was characterized as a 'tragic accident' on the CBC website.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/suman-virk-mother-of-slain-teen-reena-virk-dies-at-58-years-old-1.3979698