gcreptile

Activists

Patson Dzamara, the brother of missing anti-Mugabe journalist/political activist Itai Dzamara, has died of colon cancer at 34. He was a politician and human rights activist in his own right. Itai, leader of the protest group Occupy Africa Unity Square was abducted from a barbershop in March 2015 and his whereabouts remain unknown.

5 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Twitter reporting the death of anarchist activist/theorist/anthropologist David Graeber, who coined the term "the 99% during his time in Occupy Wall Street and wrote the 2018 best-seller Bullshit Jobs on the theory that 2/3 of all jobs have no reason to exist. 

1/3 of all jobs across the UK can be replaced with automation, so I agree with him there. In fact, I bet automation will boom in the upcoming months... 

I always "kind of" wanted to read bis books. But he was always a bit looked down upon by more orthodox economists, even the mainstream center-left ones.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 08:53, drol said:

So, George Bizos is the last living figure linked to Rivonia Trials, right? Will turn 93 in November.

Apparently according to Twitter, George Bizos hasn't made it.

Awaiting a reliable news source though...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Apparently according to Twitter, George Bizos hasn't made it.

Awaiting a reliable news source though...

It’s not Twitter reporting it.  It’s his daughter, using her Twitter account.  I don’t need a journalist as a ‘more reliable source’ for Christ sake.  

SC

Seeing as all the lawyers and defendants are now deceased, here are the last living people associated with the Rivonia Trial:

Denis Kuny b. 1932 – defence counsel on the trial. Still enjoys a lot of coverage, interviewed as recent as 2019.

Abdulhay Jassat b. unknown – arrested and intended to be put on trial as a defendant, but escaped. Still making appearances a few years ago.
Moosa Moolla b. 1934 – arrested and intended to be put on trial as a defendant, but escaped. Still making appearances a few years ago.

Mac Maharaj b. 1935 – last living defendant of the Little Rivonia Trial, associated with the main one which preceded it.

F. W. de Klerk b. 1936 – latter President of South Africa who freed Mandela. Still quite active.
Ronnie Kasrils b. 1938 – latter Deputy Defence Minister who awarded the defendants medals for their activism.

Also can't find evidence of Lionel Stanley Gay being alive or dead. He was a defendant turned informer in the Little Rivonia trial so would have every reason to "disappear" afterwards for his own safety. Very little out there on him.

On 22/07/2020 at 09:38, CoffinLodger said:

That's right. Anyway it's the end of an era.R.I.P

On 22/07/2020 at 08:53, drol said:

So, George Bizos is the last living figure linked to Rivonia Trials, right? Will turn 93 in November.

No  he won't !  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-54094248

Lucille Bridges. Just saw daughter Ruby on Trevor Noah's Daily Show the other night who, remarkably, seems to bear no resentment to her former tormentors.

On 27/08/2020 at 19:19, drol said:

Varavara Rao discharged.

After being refused the bail, he is now back in hospital for a two weeks treatment, the report says he is "almost on the deathbed", he suffers dementia and an urinary tract infection. Looking for an early release or real life threatening situation?

10 minutes ago, Sideik said:

After being refused the bail, he is now back in hospital for a two weeks treatment, the report says he is "almost on the deathbed", he suffers dementia and an urinary tract infection. Looking for an early release or real life threatening situation?

"Tanto tuonò che piovve", my friend.

• Haha 1

Bruce Boynton, a civil rights icon who helped inspire the historic Freedom Rides of 1961, has died at 83.

The civil rights attorney and Alabama's first Black special prosecutor passed away earlier this week in Selma from cancer, according to former Alabama state Sen. Hank Sanders, a friend of Boynton's.

Boynton's place in the Freedom Rides movement began in 1958 while a student at Howard University Law School in Washington, DC. 

Traveling on a bus bound for Alabama, Boynton got out to eat when the bus stopped for a break in Richmond, Virginia.

He said he sat down in the "clinically clean" White area of the restaurant after seeing the unkempt "Blacks" section. He placed his order with the waitress. 

"She left and came back with the manager. The manager poked his finger in my face and said ... 'move,'" using a racial slur, Boynton recalled in his interview. "And I knew that I would not move, and I refused to, and that was the case."

Boynton was later convicted of trespassing but went on to challenge his sentence with his attorney Thurgood Marshall, who later became the first Black Supreme Court justice. The appeal sparked the historic US Supreme Court ruling in Boynton v. Virginia. In a 7-2 decision in 1960, the Court banned bus station racial segregation.

SC

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Look, I don't know or care who Ezra Nawi is, but as he is dead and picked for pools: https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/radical-leftist-activist-ezra-nawi-has-died-at-the-age-of-69-654825

Hardcore leftist activist in Israel. Also the partner of some Irish politician. A slight obit risk. But yes, picked by a few people here and there. 

41 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Hardcore leftist activist in Israel. Also the partner of some Irish politician. A slight obit risk. But yes, picked by a few people here and there. 

Fun fact: Said politician, David Norris, was a cult DDP pick in 2014, being picked by DDT and a few others. The interesting ways these past DDP picks are all connected.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

I wonder if Greta Thunberg will die a virgin.

Nah. Someone out there will shag her. She’s proper mental as well. They tend to be the wild ones in the sack.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, torbrexbones said:

She probably lost her virginity already so I doubt it.

8 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Is that important to you?

• Like 1

One of the big decisions for the new teams was on picking Irish campaigner Vicky Phelan or not. She's now going to spend the next 6 months in the USA, on "alternative treatment", the alternative would be palliative care:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/vicky-phelan-going-to-us-for-months-of-experimental-cancer-treatment-1.4454345

She says she has about 10 tumours in her body. Her immunotherapy worked pretty well for 3 years, but not perfectly, so some tumours shrunk some didn't. She's hoping for an additional 2-3 good years. And in about 2 months she will see the first effects, or not.

• Like 1