gcreptile

Activists

Sergei Kovalev, Soviet and Russian dissident dead aged 91:

https://www.vesti.ru/amp/article/2598236

One of the re-establishers of the Moscow Helsinki group in 1989 along with Larisa Bogoraz (1929-2004), Vyacheslav Bakhmin (1947-), Lev Timofeev (1936-) and Boris Zolotukhin (1930-)

Original co-founders in 1976 were First Chair Yuri Orlov (1924-2020, Chair 1976-1982), Natan Sharansky (1948-), Lyudmila Alexeyeva (1927-2018, also longtime chair 1996-2018), Malva Landa (1918-2019), Vitaly Rubin (?-died in car accident 1981), Yelena Bonner (1923-2011), Alexander Ginzburg (1936-2002), Anatoly Marchenko (1938-1986), Petro Grigorenko (1907-1987) and Mikhail Bernshtam (1940-)

• Like 3

On 23/04/2021 at 01:00, arghton said:

Mothers:

Hebe de Bonafini (b. 1928) Leader of Mothers, one of the founders of Mothers

Haydeé Gastelú (birth date likely 1928, only one on this list who doesn't have an English wikipedia: has a Spanish one) One of the founders of Mothers

Not on this list, but Adela Forestello, one of the Mothers of the Plaza 25 de mayo is dead aged 98:

https://redaccionrosario.com/2021/08/11/fallecio-adela-forestello-la-ultima-de-nuestras-madres-de-plaza-25-mayo/

I'll update the list to include more of them as most of them are very old nowadays

• Like 2

https://www.prensalibre.com/ciudades/solola/fallece-en-santiago-atitlan-concepcion-ramirez-el-rostro-de-la-moneda-de-q0-25-breaking/

Concepción Ramírez, Guatemalan activist and "woman of the choca" known for being on the 25 centavo coin since 1959 has died aged 79. Wasn't aware of this coin fact.

Later became an activist when her father was tortured to death in 1980 and husband murdered in 1990.

• Like 3

Telegraph obit for Linda Whetstone, aged 79, campaigner for free markets (and also a well-known figure in the dressage world in a separate career).

I knew Linda pretty well. She died suddenly whilst speaking at a libertarian event in Miami last week. I'm absolutely blown away by the sheer amount of coverage she's received across social media and the wider web. I imagine in part due to her brilliant mind, but also because she was a very lovely lady.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Telegraph obit for Linda Whetstone, aged 79, campaigner for free markets (and also a well-known figure in the dressage world in a separate career).

I knew Linda pretty well. She died suddenly whilst speaking at a libertarian event in Miami last week. I'm absolutely blown away by the sheer amount of coverage she's received across social media and the wider web. I imagine in part due to her brilliant mind, but also because she was a very lovely lady.

Sorry for your loss.

2 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Sorry for your loss.

Thank you, though she wasn't a close friend so no condolences necessary. I just knew her through work I did. In fact, one of the pics used in her Telegraph obituary I took! ^_^

This is turning out to be an odd month for me. Lord Rogers used to be my neighbour and I'd often see him at breakfast in the local cafes. Chris Wilkinson OBE (wiki) died on the 14th. He was another architect, and one half of WilkinsonEyre, a firm who were at a time a client of mine also! They constructed the iconic Gateshead Millennium Bridge, as well as the lesser known Spiky Bridge in Stirling.

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Richard Leakey, Kenyan paleoanthropologist, conservationist and politician, has died aged 77.

2 notable Kenyans in one day.

While reading Njonjo's wiki page this morning, where it mentions he was friend with Leakey, I though "how the hell is Richard Leakey still alive?". Well, here's the answer again.

9 hours ago, Thatcher said:

Richard Leakey, Kenyan paleoanthropologist, conservationist and politician, has died aged 77.

2 notable Kenyans in one day.

Obituaries: The IndependentDaily MailThe GuardianThe Telegraph

OK, Leakey.  Who the hell was the other one?
And ftr, please list a couple remaining 'notable' Kenyans here today, so that you don't foist notability upon them at death.  Thanks.

SC

(Edit: Never mind I finally found the important Kenyan you referred to. :rolleyes:)
EDIT2: Leakey was known worldwide as the greatest paleontologist of our times.  Yet here he is posted in Activists. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Facepalm 2

15 minutes ago, Sir Cunto said:

OK, Leakey.  Who the hell was the other one?
And ftr, please list a couple remaining 'notable' Kenyans here today, so that you don't foist notability upon them at death.  Thanks.

SC

The other was Charles Njonjo, former Attorney General of Kenya who was the first post holder after Kenya gained independence.

Before you start arguing about notability a quick search of Njonjo and you’ll see he was discussed in the 100 Club, African Despots, Immortals and Political Frailty threads, as well as being chosen in numerous pools over the years. 

Read the threads, do your own research and fuck off.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Richard Leakey would have been famous enough to have his own thread. 

American Indian Movement founder Clyde Bellecourt, aka Nee-gon-we-way-we-dun, dead at 85. Picked in a few pools here and there over the past few years.

• Like 2

Every time I see a new post on this thread I get all excited thinking that somebody has reported that Greta Thunberg has been eaten by a Polar Bear.

Fuck.

• Haha 5

On 21/12/2021 at 14:03, Ulitzer95 said:

Thank you, though she wasn't a close friend so no condolences necessary. I just knew her through work I did. In fact, one of the pics used in her Telegraph obituary I took! ^_^

This is turning out to be an odd month for me. Lord Rogers used to be my neighbour and I'd often see him at breakfast in the local cafes. Chris Wilkinson OBE (wiki) died on the 14th. He was another architect, and one half of WilkinsonEyre, a firm who were at a time a client of mine also! They constructed the iconic Gateshead Millennium Bridge, as well as the lesser known Spiky Bridge in Stirling.

Chris Wilkinson’s Times Obit. He was 76.

12 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Chris Wilkinson’s Times Obit. He was 76.

He already had obituaries from other leading papers quite a while back.

On 01/02/2022 at 17:12, Spade_Cooley said:

Vicky Phelan to receive the Freedom of Limerick this Thursday, with the ceremony to be livestreamed. Doesn't say if she'll be there in person to accept or if she'll appear by video link, but I'm pretty confident this will be the last public appearance she ever makes.

Well, there's a dreadful picture, she looks half-dead, but that's how it is:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/vicky-phelan-made-honorary-freewoman-of-limerick-1.4793145

• Like 1

Art Cooley, (no relation to @Spade_Cooley) a longtime activist who co-founded the Environmental Defense Fund more than 50 years ago, has died. Cooley, 87, helped launch the group, now one of the world’s leading environmental organizations, from his living room on Long Island, N.Y., in 1967. 

EDF now has more than 2.5 million members and nearly 1,000 employees from New York to London to Beijing. 

Cooley died Sunday in Colorado of natural causes.

SC

• Like 1