gcreptile

Activists

On 24/05/2021 at 01:09, gcreptile said:

Black Lives Matter activist Sasha Johnson in critical condition after getting shot in the head:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/23/blm-activist-sasha-johnson-in-critical-condition-after-gunshot-to-the-head

Going through last year's Cup classics.... As of Decembre, Sasha Johnson was still in hospital and "serious, but stable"

https://news.sky.com/story/sasha-johnson-four-men-deny-conspiracy-to-murder-over-shooting-of-blm-activist-and-will-face-trial-in-march-12501823

• Like 2

Sarah White, long-time activist and co-founder of Britain's first black publisher and bookshop, New Beacon Books, died earlier this month, aged 80.

• Like 2

Autherine Lucy Foster, the first Black student to enroll at the University of Alabama, died Wednesday. She was 92.

Foster in 1956 briefly attended classes at the then all-white university. She was expelled three days later after her presence brought protests and threats against her life. Foster, a graduate student studying education, had faced hostile crowds hurling racially charged threats and debris.

The university later celebrated Foster's legacy, her role in desegregating the institution and her bravery.

Her death comes less than a week after university officials dedicated the campus building where she briefly attended classes in her honor.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sir Creep said:

Autherine Lucy Foster, the first Black student to enroll at the University of Alabama, died Wednesday. She was 92.

Foster in 1956 briefly attended classes at the then all-white university. She was expelled three days later after her presence brought protests and threats against her life. Foster, a graduate student studying education, had faced hostile crowds hurling racially charged threats and debris.

The university later celebrated Foster's legacy, her role in desegregating the institution and her bravery.

Her death comes less than a week after university officials dedicated the campus building where she briefly attended classes in her honor.

After she was in the news for the campus building issue, I put her tentatively on my long list for next year. 

She had an extraordinary life, especially in terms of her relationship with the University of Alabama. 

On 07/02/2022 at 22:43, gcreptile said:

Going through last year's Cup classics.... As of Decembre, Sasha Johnson was still in hospital and "serious, but stable"

https://news.sky.com/story/sasha-johnson-four-men-deny-conspiracy-to-murder-over-shooting-of-blm-activist-and-will-face-trial-in-march-12501823

A pretty gruesome picture of Sasha Johnson in this recent BBC article:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-60522505

• Like 1

Vicky Phelan originally planned to climb a mountain together with Irish broadcaster Charlie Bird on April 2nd, but predictably, she now had to cancel this:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40824774.html

She's been in hospice care for the past two weeks and has suffered complications from her radiotherapy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Vicky Phelan originally planned to climb a mountain together with Irish broadcaster Charlie Bird on April 2nd, but predictably, she now had to cancel this:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40824774.html

She's been in hospice care for the past two weeks and has suffered complications from her radiotherapy.

'I need to focus on just getting well again'

Makes it sound like the end is not definitely imminent. (which is bad news for my Cup match with Salmon as it's one of my differentials).

June Shagaloff Alexander, whose work for the N.A.A.C.P. and its legal arm in the 1950s and ’60s put her at the forefront of the nationwide fight for school integration and made her a close confidante of civil rights figures like Thurgood Marshall and James Baldwin, died on March 29 at her home in Tel Aviv. She was 93.

SC

• Like 1

On 11/01/2022 at 15:45, Spade_Cooley said:

American Indian Movement founder Clyde Bellecourt, aka Nee-gon-we-way-we-dun, dead at 85. Picked in a few pools here and there over the past few years.

Nearly three months later his widow Peggy joins him at 78

• Like 1

Longtime pro-life advocate and CUNTO Deirdre McQuade, who for more than a decade shared perspectives of U.S. bishops' and the Catholic Church's teaching on the sanctity of life, died April 21 after a bout with metastatic breast cancer. She was 53.

From 2005 to 2018, the time she was assistant director for pro-life communications at the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, McQuade was interviewed by various media and spoke at numerous events, offering views on palliative care, abortion and alternatives to physician-assisted suicide.

Riddance.  I’m certain she prayed for the cancer to go away. W’happen?

SC

A little local self-indulgence if I may. Brighton conservationist Selma Montford died over Easter, aged 87.

She was instrumental in saving a fair amount of Brighton's historic architecture, including many listed buildings and a good chunk of Brighton Station. She was co-founder of the Brighton Society. She wrote several books on the history of Brighton, and, an accomplished artist, she sold work at the Royal Academy summer exhibitions.

• Like 2

Activist (or terrorist) Kathy Boudin dead at 78. Also the mother of current San Francisco DA Chesa Boudin.

On 28/04/2022 at 21:58, time said:

A little local self-indulgence if I may. Brighton conservationist Selma Montford died over Easter, aged 87.

She was instrumental in saving a fair amount of Brighton's historic architecture, including many listed buildings and a good chunk of Brighton Station. She was co-founder of the Brighton Society. She wrote several books on the history of Brighton, and, an accomplished artist, she sold work at the Royal Academy summer exhibitions.

Selma Montford turns out to be a national treasure worthy of a Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/05/04/selma-montford-ebullient-campaigner-helped-keep-brighton-beautiful/

Really? Sonny Caldinez can't get an obit and this dame can?

• Like 2

On 22/06/2020 at 10:19, time said:

Bruce Kent is 91 today 

Doreen Mantle is 94.

Above from the Happy Birthday thread.

Sadly CND campaigner Bruce Kent Telegraph Obituary: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/06/09/bruce-kent-catholic-priest-led-campaign-nuclear-disarmament/

Putting him in the Cleric thread wouldn't do him justice - one of the big names of the 1980s.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Above from the Happy Birthday thread.

Sadly CND campaigner Bruce Kent Telegraph Obituary: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2022/06/09/bruce-kent-catholic-priest-led-campaign-nuclear-disarmament/

Putting him in the Cleric thread wouldn't do him justice - one of the big names of the 1980s.

It's only at this exact moment I've twigged I dropped Pat Arrowsmith by accident after 4 years in the DDP. She's totally going to snuff it before January 1st now.

Massive name from the 1980s, although his nuclear disarmament message hasn't aged well, giving up their nukes didn't work out well for Ukraine.

54 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Massive name from the 1980s, although his nuclear disarmament message hasn't aged well, giving up their nukes didn't work out well for Ukraine.

Absolutely although the pact made at the time by Russia, US and UK with Ukraine would very much justify US and UK joining in militarily to help Ukraine.

I’m surprised it is not discussed more when they discuss NATO involvement and yet of course nobody is trying to justify an expansion of the war.

Any way I’ve strayed off topic - RIP Bruce Kent - sad that he’s died with the world closer to nuclear war than it has been for a long time.

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

Absolutely although the pact made at the time by Russia, US and UK with Ukraine would very much justify US and UK joining in militarily to help Ukraine.

I’m surprised it is not discussed more when they discuss NATO involvement and yet of course nobody is trying to justify an expansion of the war.

Any way I’ve strayed off topic - RIP Bruce Kent - sad that he’s died with the world closer to nuclear war than it has been for a long time.

If anything it sadly shows the flaws in unilateralism, and that the only route to disarmament would be multilateral. 

Charlie Kiss, first trans man to stand for Parliament has died. He'd been suffering from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

6 hours ago, time said:

Charlie Crisco Kiss, first trans man to stand for Parliament has died. He'd been suffering from idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.

FTFY

On 23/04/2021 at 00:00, arghton said:

https://www.rionegro.com.ar/murio-mercedes-colas-de-merono-vicepresidenta-de-madres-de-plaza-de-mayo-1781156/

Mercedes Colás de Meroño, vice president of Mothers of the Plaza de Mayo has died aged 95.

The alive main people of Mothers and Grandmothers of the Plaza de Mayo are getting older. These groups got Videla behind bars.

Here's a list of some of them who are still alive:

Delia Giovanola (b. 1926)

Delia Giovanola dead at 96.

• Like 2