Joey Russ

John McCain

I got told elsewhere that he died 9 years after Ted Kennedy from the same cancer too. Now that’s a coincidence. :o

• Like 1

I remember it being quite the surprise when, during the 2008 election, I found out John McCain's mom was still alive. Who would've thought at the time that a decade later, she'd both still be alive and outlive her son?

Meh on his political career and felt his "maverick" image was largely manufactured, but an awful disease to have. Condolences to his family.

Ok, so just got this news.

Let us not forget he was a hawk, a warmonger, a trickle-down economist who expected the American people shafted by the banks to work extra hard to bail them out under all that Arizona folksiness. Nevertheless, as is usual with such folks, they realise too late when their God is opening his arms that maybe, just maybe, there's a better way. His denigration of and votes against Trump policies were probably part of that.

And let us not forget that probably every game runner including myself has been put to a lot more work for little reward than Joe The Plumber was ever promised.

Goodbye John, and good luck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Thought I'd check to see if Trump finally had something nice to say about him- here is his latest tweet... 

..and to think they could have had McCain as President... :mellow:

R.I.P to a much greater  man than Pres Trump could ever be !

So people complain about Trump not tweeting about it when McCain announced he was being taken off his treatment and complained when Trump didn't tweet the exact second that McCain died? WTF, why must the President react immediately to every single current event in the country? He's tweeted his 'deepest sympathies' - the tweet says 2 hours ago and your comment says 1 hour ago. 

John McCain was often a hypocritical warmonger, though I'm surprised he lasted this long throughout the year! I was expecting him to be one of the first deaths. I thought I would be sadder, McCain vs Obama was the first Presidential election I had an interest in. McCains death has been so expected I don't really have a reaction!! Respect to his family, the media aren't going to give them privacy this week. 

i remember being in high school and strongly disliking McCain, until i saw a video of him defending Obama against a racist voter (even though the voter was a Mccain supporter)... who knows when we'll ever see anything like that again in american politics

rip

did it already happen to you : that feeling when you see on your news that a figure on the deathlist is dead and you suddenly feel sad without knowing why (but at the same time you feel excited to know how it will goes on this site) ? RIP McCain……

What happens to McCain's senate seat now? is it one of those special election thingy's or remain vacant until midterms or beyond?

Just now, Body Snatcher 44 said:

What happens to McCain's senate seat now? is it one of those special election thingy's or remain vacant until midterms or beyond?

There'll be a new Republican appointed to the seat (Arizona law requires a senate vacancy's appointee to be of the same party as the previous senator, and even if there wasn't such a law the current governor is a Republican anyway) and there won't be any election held for the seat until election day 2020. Had McCain died several months earlier a more immediate special election would've had to be held.

• Thanks 1

RIP... he was mostly opportunistic and sold out his supposed ideals a couple of times. I guess his loss to Bush Jr. broke him somewhat. But he was very skilled at keeping relevant and playing to the press. He was an asshole you wanted to have on your side.

• Like 1

And death continues to walk amongst us. What will the Orange Cheeto have to say in tribute to McCain? That will be fun to watch the Twitter rage.

That's my round dozen for the year and still plenty more to be harvested.

1 )Herman Wouk (Sailor), 2) Billy Graham (Preacher), 3) Olivia De Havilland (Maid Marion),4) Hosni Mubarak (felon), 5) Javier Perez de Cuellar (Sec Gen #5),

6) Clive James (A life critical), 7) Leslie Phillips (Left hand down a bit), 8) Denis Norden (Frank’s other half), 9) Bernard Cribbins (Diggin’ a hole, 10) Daniel arap Moi (Sometime African politician),

11) Michael Anderson (Logan’s Run), 12) Kirk Douglas (Ear-ear), 13) George H W Bush (Naughty old man), 14) Barbara Bush (1st lady), 15) Carol Channing (Thoroughly Modern Millie),

16) Stanley Donen (On the Town), 17) William Frankland (Immune to death), 18) Hal Holbrook (Presidents man), 19) John McCain (Prisoner of war), 20) Clint Walker (Cheyenne Bodie),

21) Vera Lynn (Will we meet again?), 22) Tom Lehrer (Pigeon poisoner), 23) Mary Carlisle (WAMPAS baby), 24) Peter Carington, 6th Baron Carrington (Old Tory survivor), 25) Gottfried Böhm (Build ‘em high),

26) Joe Jackson (Dad), 27) Walter “Fritz” Mondale (Veep), 28) James Randi (Just an illusion), 29) Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (Breathing death mask), 30) Desmond Morris (Naked Ape),

31) Bill Maynard (Magic Selwyn), 32) Lewis Gilbert (Reaching for the sky), 33) Jean Heywood (Billy’s gran), 34) Nathaniel Tarn (Beautiful contradictions), 35) Harold Prince (Hello Broadway),

36) Franco Zeffirelli (Tea with Mussolini), 37) Mangosuthu Buthelezi (KwaZulu), 38) Betty White (One time mayor of Hollywood), 39) Robert Mugabe (Ex-everlasting president), 40) Clu Gulager (Billy the Kid),

41) Ennio Morricone (For a few dollars more), 42) Mary Wilson (Private Eye diarist and poet), 43) Benny Golson (Hard-bop), 44) Frank Williams (Vicar), 45) Stuart Whitman (Cimarron Strip),

46) Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth), 47) William Russell (Companion), 48) Alasdair MacIntyre (After Virtue), 49) Stephen Hawking (Deep thought), 50) Barbara Rush (Woman of means).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Death Impends said:

There'll be a new Republican appointed to the seat (Arizona law requires a senate vacancy's appointee to be of the same party as the previous senator, and even if there wasn't such a law the current governor is a Republican anyway) and there won't be any election held for the seat until election day 2020. Had McCain died several months earlier a more immediate special election would've had to be held.

It's turned out well for Trump t hen.He  gets a new republican who will presumably vote t hrough his agenda without complaint. Could this m ean the end of Obamacare ? 

Trump might well breathe a sigh of relief, but given McCain passing the Steele Dossier to the FBI is one of the things that triggered Mueller's investigation, yer ex-POW from Arizona may yet have the last laugh from beyond the grave on the President.

its amazing to see the support for his wife and the whole McCain family. People don't have to agree with his politics but they can have sympathy for him as a human being who just fought a horrible disease. RIP John McCain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I got told elsewhere that he died 9 years after Ted Kennedy from the same cancer too. Now that’s a coincidence. :o

But at least McCain was able to drive across a bridge

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Happy Reaper said:

But at least McCain was able to drive across a bridge

...but he wasn't able to fly over a lake...

8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

It's turned out well for Trump t hen.He  gets a new republican who will presumably vote t hrough his agenda without complaint. Could this m ean the end of Obamacare ? 

Don't forget that the previous Obamacare repeal attempt was tanked by three GOP defections. Doug Jones won since then so now two defections would be fatal to such an effort.

Granted, that only applies for the next few months, and I still don't think the Senate will flip to the Dems in November because of how unlucky a map they have, but the House is looking very much in play. And the GOP needs both chambers to push through anything legislative.

22 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Thank you for breaking that news ! :mellow:

P.S see above ..^_^

I know, I missed it again! Sorry- I hear it on the radio in the car while I'm driving home or to work, and by the time I get to the computer, somebody has already gotten there!~ This time I put in on before I went back a noticed EEK

18 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

its amazing to see the support for his wife and the whole McCain family. People don't have to agree with his politics but they can have sympathy for him as a human being who just fought a horrible disease. RIP John McCain.

I don’t and I do.  RIP.

• Like 1

Will his mother be added to the list next year if she is still alive then?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Putin said:

Questionable whether she'd be famous enough in her own right

Shoo-in for most people's dead pool teams, mind and likely all over the Deathrace - assuming she makes the start line.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Putin said:

No, she’s very much a fringe name...

I think she could've sneaked on ala Rose Kennedy if John won in 2008. But he didn't and she won't.

Should have been 82 today, so close:rip:

• Like 1