Joey Russ

John McCain

5 minutes ago, LB93 said:

Given his status as a war hero, his prominence, and the outpouring of support from just about every major US politician, do you think we can expect him to lie in state in the Capitol? The last person to do so was Daniel Inouye, Senate President Pro Temp and another war hero, in 2012. Before that, the last non-President was Claude Pepper in 1989.

If Ted Kennedy didn't then I doubt McCain will, but I wouldn't rule it out.

• Like 1

On 2017-07-20 at 02:53, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Great senator. Lots of my family voted for him in 2008 and for Arizona senate. Mother even met him on the campaign trail. 

He's had Melanoma 3 times but I think this time it's over for him, even if he has some of the best care in the world.

He's now #1 on my shadow list with his mother at #4 :( 

Damn, that Slovenian woman really has a thing for American republican politicians, hasn't she?

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, Predictor said:

Damn, that Slovenian woman really has a thing for American republican politicians, hasn't she?

Post of the year for me so far...

2 hours ago, LilyForrester said:

If Ted Kennedy didn't then I doubt McCain will, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Who makes said decisions?

Sweepstake time I am going with September 2nd 2018.His mother will then go on October 28th 2018.

That's a shame. My brother died from having the same condition, Glioblastoma. He only lasted 9 months after his  diagnosis. I expect McCain to lose his ability to speak by June 2018. Then pass away a couple months later. Usually, with this cancer a seizure finnishes you off. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

16 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

That's a shame. My brother died from having the same condition, Glioblastoma. He only lasted 9 months after his  diagnosis. I expect McCain to lose his ability to speak by June 2018. Then pass away a couple months later. Usually, with this cancer a seizure finnishes you off. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family.

Sorry to hear that Death Clock .It is a bastard of a disease.

McCain will be of for this year,but will be oven-fried in 2018.

Good contender for 2018.

2 hours ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Who makes said decisions?

Google is your friend. 

https://www.aoc.gov/nations-stage/lying-state

"These occasions are either authorized by a congressional resolution or approved by the congressional leadership, when permission is granted by survivors."

Kennedy had baggage that no one really forgave him for not matter how prominent he became as a Senator. McCain may well lie in state in the Rotunda as he is the most prominent former POW in the United States. 

5 hours ago, LB93 said:

Given his status as a war hero, his prominence, and the outpouring of support from just about every major US politician, do you think we can expect him to lie in state in the Capitol? The last person to do so was Daniel Inouye, Senate President Pro Temp and another war hero, in 2012. Before that, the last non-President was Claude Pepper in 1989.

I'm going to be that person. :) It's President pro tempore . The last non-president to lie in the Rotunda was Rosa Parks, who lay in honor in 2005. Before her, Jacob Chestnut and John Gibson, two Capitol Police officers killed in the line of duty, lay in honor in 1998. In 1989, Claude Pepper was the last non-president to lie in state - on that you are correct. 

As an interesting aside, four unknown soldiers have lain in state in the Rotunda. Vietnam in 1984, Korea and WWII in 1958, and WWI in 1921.

https://www.aoc.gov/nations-stage/lying-state

If anyone can find a pattern of qualification in these, have at it, but the only real qualification is that Congress says you can and your family agrees. Most presidents don't lie in state in the Capitol - only Ford, Reagan, Lyndon Johnson, Eisenhower, Hoover, Kennedy, Taft, Harding, McKinley, Garfield, and Lincoln have lain in state in the Capitol Rotunda. Lincoln, Garfield, McKinley and Kennedy were assassinated. Harding died in office. 

Reagan's funeral was freaking production. 

Concurrent resolution for Chestnut and Gibson: https://www.congress.gov/bill/105th-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/310/text

Concurrent resolution for Rosa Parks: https://www.congress.gov/congressional-record/2005/10/27/senate-section/article/S12018-2

Concurrent resolution for Daniel Inouye: https://www.congress.gov/bill/112th-congress/senate-concurrent-resolution/64/text?r=2

Concurrent resolution for Claude Pepper: https://www.congress.gov/bill/101st-congress/house-concurrent-resolution/139/text/ath?r=263

CJ's civics/history class concludes. You are dismissed. If you key my car I will hunt you down like the dog you are. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Predictor said:

The post of the year is a reply to me :D

• Like 1

Anyways, it looks like McCain will die before the senate elections in 2018 and a special election will likely be held on that day as well. If Democrats can take Senator Flake's seat and Senator McCain's seat they can win the senate.

I think his toughness and good genes means he could last 5 years.

23 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Who will go first, Roberta or John?

No mother should outlive her son, especially when he's in his 80s !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Anyways, it looks like McCain will die before the senate elections in 2018 and a special election will likely be held on that day as well. If Democrats can take Senator Flake's seat and Senator McCain's seat they can win the senate.

I think Jeff Flake is pretty safe. Arizona is not a bastion of liberalism for  all its proximity to California. 

1 hour ago, CarolAnn said:

I think Jeff Flake is pretty safe. Arizona is not a bastion of liberalism for  all its proximity to California. 

But it is in a close proximity with Mexico. It all depends on if Arizonans support the new immigration laws Trump makes and more importantly if Trump's new trade policies help the Arizonan economy once the Obama fiscal year is over.

My relatives in Arizona personally like what Trump is doing but still won't vote for Flake though, he is really unpopular. 

8 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I can't see Dems winning the Senate in 2018. That the fairly conservative Arizona (which may become swingy in the none-too-distant future, but that point is not there yet) is their second best chance of a pickup after Nevada (which is quiite plausible they flip), on top of all the Dems in red states put on the defense, bodes long odds. Some of the Dems up next year only won because of opponents last election saying really stupid things, like the "legitimate rape" guy - though this time those Dems at least have the benefit of it being a Trump midterm. If Hillary won last year a lot of the red-state Dems would definitely be toast.

• Like 1

Republicans will win around 6 seats next year, imo. It's a rotten set of seats to come up for the Democrats.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

But it is in a close proximity with Mexico. It all depends on if Arizonans support the new immigration laws Trump makes and more importantly if Trump's new trade policies help the Arizonan economy once the Obama fiscal year is over.

My relatives in Arizona personally like what Trump is doing but still won't vote for Flake though, he is really unpopular. 

He is unpopular, but there isn't anyone who is a real threat to him lining up against him yet. I live in Texas, and while immigration is a big issue here, it pales in comparison to other Republican social issues because of the large Hispanic population offset. Arizona has the same demographic. 

McCain has a history of being the most "vulnerable" and "unpopular" member of the Senate but Arizona kept electing him. Let's face it - the hardcore conservatives may not like either one of them, but in the absence of a serious challenger Flake will probably get enough of the moderate Democratic vote to push them over the top - and with the Democrats as off message as they are I can't see them being a serious threat, aside from which the only Democratic opponent right now being a Muslim woman? He will have to have a strong primary opponent. 

9 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

I think his toughness and good genes means he could last 5 years.

Just because you have really good genes doesn't mean that they will survive for five years. Yes he has a mother who's still alive today, but his father died at the age of 70, so he could have a mix of both genes. Also considering that glioblastoma is a very dangerous form of cancer means that he's likely not going to last the next two years. I'm not saying it's impossible, I just saying that it's probably not going to happen...

On 7/20/2017 at 13:51, Shaun of the Dead said:

McCain should be number 1 on next years list with Newton John at number 2.I think Roberta McCain should be on the list next year.Will be 106 andJohns death would likely finish her off.We had JFK's Mum and John Edwards wife on previous lists so there is a precedent.There is no way her death would go unreported in UK media.You could put her down as McCain matriarch .

For gods sake calm down, it's only some white-haired old fart.

12 minutes ago, WilliamGStewart said:

For gods sake calm down, it's only some white-haired old fart.

Aren't you some white-haired old fart as well? 

17 hours ago, Predictor said:

Brilliant.