Joey Russ

John McCain

81 today. :birthday: 

While looking more on him, I found this article that explains McCain's battle very well, not just that it's a fight he can't beat, but instead shows that McCain found something worth fighting for before he passes. That said, I do hope he survives another four months, as he's such an interesting person that I really don't want to miss on him on any major dead pools...

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

While looking more on him, I found this article that explains McCain's battle very well, not just that it's a fight he can't beat, but instead shows that McCain found something worth fighting for before he passes. That said, I do hope he survives another four months, as he's such an interesting person that I really don't want to miss on him on any major dead pools...

I'd say that even though he's pretty old, he should likely survive into 2018: he had a surgery that achieved its goals and he's still undergoing proper medical treatment to prolong his life. On the other hand, since his case and the implications of his disease are pretty well-known to everyone, he'd likely be selected by almost every competitive dead pool player. (Unless they're betting on him surviving into 2019, which is a pretty risky bet.)

14 hours ago, GossipGabe said:

I'd say that even though he's pretty old, he should likely survive into 2018: he had a surgery that achieved its goals and he's still undergoing proper medical treatment to prolong his life. On the other hand, since his case and the implications of his disease are pretty well-known to everyone, he'd likely be selected by almost every competitive dead pool player. (Unless they're betting on him surviving into 2019, which is a pretty risky bet.)

Man, even if you thought 2019 realistic (which I don't), you'd be an idiot to leave him out of 2018 selection. My biggest dilemma is where exactly to place him in the all important HPDP running order

He's not going on my main DDP team. I'm making an American politics theme team and McCain will obviously be the joker. There's sort of an unspoken rule that if you have multiple teams there shouldn't be any crossover between them.

35 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

He's not going on my main DDP team. I'm making an American politics theme team and McCain will obviously be the joker. There's sort of an unspoken rule that if you have multiple teams there shouldn't be any crossover between them.

Damn, there goes my theme teams for next year: Get Them on the Drop Forty and Get Them on the Drop Forty II,  which would be entirely clones of the Pan Breed team.

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

There's sort of an unspoken rule that if you have multiple teams there shouldn't be any crossover between them.

There is?  Nobody ever told me about this unspoken rule.  :P

• Haha 1

I would've had Piers Sellers on both the main and the theme this year, had he lived another couple weeks.

Prunella ended up on two teams this year by dint of Debbie Reynolds' checkout.

The Advent Avalanche is filled with a couple of crossovers: Campbell, Christie, Coward, Skellern and Wetton. All which have died as well. So it's not really a rule, it might just be a small tradition. 

I suspect it may be similar to Sir Creep's "rule" that death anniversaries may only be posted if the anniversary is a multiple of 5 years.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I could honestly care less if people crossover from my own teams...

2 hours ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

There's sort of an unspoken rule that if you have multiple teams there shouldn't be any crossover between them.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

There is?  Nobody ever told me about this unspoken rule.  :P

Very clever - I am still chuckling to myself. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

Alright, who told Rad about this "unwritten rule" and is quietly having a chuckle to themselves? :P

Wasnae me!

• Haha 1

Must be Peter Falk's fault...

I mean, I know there's not really a "rule".

It just something that some people do. For example, gcreptile - I assume, since he didn't have Mark Sims on Shameless nor Lisa Magill on his main team. 

And I'll choose to do the same. John McCain on my American politics theme team only, Dmitri Hvorostovsky on my Slav theme team only, etc.

6 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

I mean, I know there's not really a "rule".

It just something that some people do. For example, gcreptile - I assume, since he didn't have Mark Sims on Shameless nor Lisa Magill on his main team. 

And I'll choose to do the same. John McCain on my American politics theme team only, Dmitri Hvorostovsky on my Slav theme team only, etc.

Does Hvorostovsky have glioblastoma?

I think it's different when someone has an main team and a B-Team. You don't want people mixing over on both the team your trying to win on and the team you put your backups on. And gcreptile only had shameless so he didn't have to put them on his main team. But theme team people are, imo, fair game. Theme team are more for fun, so I don't see the point of eliminating someone from the main competition just because they are on your theme team to be very honest with you...

Planning to speak in Italy, John McCain, that is:

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/mccain-to-attend-international-forum-in-italy

As for myself, I think I'm going to have some crossover between my main team and my theme team, or between my B-team and my theme team, but not between my main team and my B-team.

Actually, I had considered it a rule not to crossover, until Jiroemon Kimura entered two very similar teams this year.

Do you have an idea on what your new theme team is? Or could it potentially spoil some picks that you're keeping secret if you reveal it? 

18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Actually, I had considered it a rule not to crossover, until Jiroemon Kimura entered two very similar teams this year.

Does look like Cancerous Hatred 1 will finish above Cancerous Hatred 2 by virtue of only 1 having Campbell, which amuses considering JK felt he had the better differentials in the second.

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Do you have an idea on what your new theme team is? Or could it potentially spoil some picks that you're keeping secret if you reveal it? 

Didn't he say he was considering a Down Under theme?

On 2017. 07. 20. at 02:16, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, so he has an aggressive form of brain cancer, so he's definitely a very good candidate for next year I think. 

Felt like he needed his own thread, and I try to limit the amount of threads I make, but it's too tempting this time, so here we are...

Desperate situations often call for desperate measures. A group of researchers reported some promising results of an experiment with a possible novel treatment against glioblastoma (complementing surgery and chemo+radiotherapy):

School of Medicine, Washington University said:

To find out whether the virus could help treat cancer in a living animal, the researchers injected either Zika virus or saltwater (a placebo) directly into the brain tumors of 18 and 15 mice, respectively. Tumors were significantly smaller in the Zika-treated mice two weeks after injection, and those mice survived significantly longer than the ones given saltwater.

https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/zika-virus-kills-brain-cancer-stem-cells/

Could this new kind of treatment help McCain? Probably not. The researchers are still working on weakening the virus so it would be rendered harmless against healthy brain cells, and it could still take years (of testing, clinical trials etc.) after that before it gets approved by the FDA as a standard treatment (IF it gets approved at all). 

On 2017. 07. 20. at 13:11, drol said:

By the look of things it seems he will be outlived by his mother.

And it could also be a situation similar to that with Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, with Roberta dying of the emotional strain caused by losing her child.

• Like 1

I think John McCain is gonna be on the next year deathlist, it could be a mistake don't include him on it... 

Says he has a 'very vicious form of cancer,' 'every life has to end one way or another,' and is talking about how he wants people to remember him. Says he's confident about getting through it and will be overseeing work on a bill on the Senate floor next week, but doesn't seem like it will be long now.