Joey Russ

John McCain

3 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Says he has a 'very vicious form of cancer,' 'every life has to end one way or another,' and is talking about how he wants people to remember him. Says he's confident about getting through it and will be overseeing work on a bill on the Senate floor next week, but doesn't seem like it will be long now.

Isn't glioblastoma a vicious form of brain cancer anyways? You missed an important part of it though. He's saying that the treatment he is on is currently doing very well with him. So I could still see him make it to 2018, but 3 and a half months is a long time for someone with glioblastoma...

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Isn't glioblastoma a vicious form of brain cancer anyways? You missed an important part of it though. He's saying that the treatment he is on is currently doing very well with him. So I could still see him make it to 2018, but 3 and a half months is a long time for someone with glioblastoma...

Oh, I don't doubt that he's got a good chance of making it to next year, but I can see him going really early next year.

50 minutes ago, RishCast said:

Oh, I don't doubt that he's got a good chance of making it to next year, but I can see him going really early next year.

Frankly, I don't see anything in either of the two articles (Politico, HuffPost) that would prompt me to think that he is going to die sooner than people previously thought.

He says that the treatment has been going "well" so far and he feels energized (= he does not have to consider stopping it because of the debilitating side effects), that his prognosis might be "pretty good" (= so far there are no signs that the cancer is more aggressive than glioblastoma normally is), and that "we have new technologies …" (= drugs and/or radiotherapy devices) "that make the chances much better" (= slightly longer expected survival time than what would be achievable according to data from 10 years ago).

Like Joey, I'd understand his characterization of his cancer (as "vicious") as a feature that differentiates glioblastoma (in general) from other types of brain tumours (and yes, that means that there are no guarantees that he will make the start line), and not a special feature that differentiates his glioblastoma from other glioblastoma cases. And I think it's perfectly understandable if an 81-year old Senator with terminal cancer is already reflecting on his past and contemplating the legacy he leaves behind – that alone shouldn't convince you that he's already dying.

circa October 2018 if he had Ted Heath's exact longevity from prognosis.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

circa October 2018 if he had Ted Heath's exact longevity from prognosis.

Sure you meant Ted Kennedy?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GossipGabe said:

Sure you meant Ted Kennedy?

You mean you don't remember that famous US President John F Heath, and his brother Bobby Heath?

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think McCain is making it very clear that if the bill isn't bipartisan, he's not going to vote for it. I do think a bipartisan health care bill will probably be the best option for now at least...

If he keeps f***ing things up for Donald Trump I hope he lives at least another 3 years !

13 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I think McCain is making it very clear that if the bill isn't bipartisan, he's not going to vote for it. I do think a bipartisan health care bill will probably be the best option for now at least...

The problem is, a "bipartisan" health care bill would likely be an uneasy compromise that no one really likes and one that both sides would soon change if they get the opportunity (a 'qualified' majority that lets them ignore dissenters like McCain).

The two sides want very different things from a bill, with the GOP prioritizing cost savings above anything else (with their leaders asking stupid, demagogic questions like 'Why do the healthy need to pay for the people who are sick'?), and the Dems not really eager to reduce Obamacare's coverage/scope. 

12 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

If he keeps f***ing things up for Donald Trump I hope he lives at least another 3 years !

3 years for an 80 year-old with glioblastoma is an incredibly long time. Maybe not impossible but unlikely.

• Like 1

As written already elsewhere, he got a medal yesterday. And here is a related video:

In my opinion, the biggest "cert" of 2018.

Yeah, listening to his vocal chords it’s definitely showing signs that the cancer is starting to take its toll. Still, I think he’s still going to die in 2018, but I’m thinking he’s going to be more of a February/March death than an August/September death. Of course, there’s always a chance for someone to go before 2018, so...

Piers Sellers was meant to be a cert for 2017. Just saying.

18 minutes ago, msc said:

Piers Sellers was meant to be a cert for 2017. Just saying.

Ah, but he had pancreatic cancer and he was diagnosed with cancer in January of that year I think? McCain was diagnosed in July, so he’s more likely to make the starting imo. 

17 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Ah, but he had pancreatic cancer and he was diagnosed with cancer in January of that year I think? McCain was diagnosed in July, so he’s more likely to make the starting imo. 

I knew AA Gill would have been a better example!

He is, but he's also 80 with (likely terminal) brain cancer - that can go downhill very very quickly.

I think until he cancel some future events, he'll make the starting line. Just my opinion of course...

On 10/17/2017 at 06:57, Joey Russ said:

Yeah, listening to his vocal chords it’s definitely showing signs that the cancer is starting to take its toll. 

If he's having radiation treatments they can affect the voice.

I was shocked when I saw him on tv this week.He has m\assively deteriorated just in the last couple of months.I originally thought he could last years but now I think sadly he will be gone within months .He will be a sad loss, he seems to be one of the more principled decent politicians on the right.Certainly compared to Donald Trump !:( 

Sort of the Republican's Ted Kennedy in a way here. Complete with the same illness.  Were friends/worked on the same policy hobby horses too iirc.

I thought he lioked well all things considered.He looks and sounds old now but that is only noticeable aswe all have seen what he looked like before.He looks ok for 81.Still convinced he will go next year.Think he will see new year thoughas he is still mobile and lucid .Plus he will be looked after by the best physicians available which should increase his life expectancy by a while.He definitely wont see 2020 though.Glioblastoma is a hell of a cancer.Will he outlive his mother is the big question.My instinct is he will go first but his Mum will go a month later.

3 minutes ago, msc said:

Sort of the Republican's Ted Kennedy in a way here. Complete with the same illness.  Were friends/worked on the same policy hobby horses too iirc.

Also were widely seen as future presidents but never made it.Both also from political dynasties and had mothers who lived well into their 100s.How big was John McCain in the US before 2008 ?I had never heard of him before then but knew who Ted Kennedy Bob Dole Walter Mondale etc were from as long as I can remember.

6 minutes ago, Sean said:

Also were widely seen as future presidents but never made it.Both also from political dynasties and had mothers who lived well into their 100s.How big was John McCain in the US before 2008 ?I had never heard of him before then but knew who Ted Kennedy Bob Dole Walter Mondale etc were from as long as I can remember.

Kennedy ruined his own chances with a certain incident...

McCain ran for the Presidency in 2000 - pretty nasty smear campaign from the Bushes in the primaries, I seem to recall. I remember Mum really wanted him to win the Republican nomination back then as she was convinced Gore would screw up, and felt McCain was one of the better Republicans. He also got a lot of press circa 2002-3 as a big Bush critic (anti-Iraq war, I think?).

14 hours ago, msc said:

Kennedy ruined his own chances with a certain incident...

McCain ran for the Presidency in 2000 - pretty nasty smear campaign from the Bushes in the primaries, I seem to recall. I remember Mum really wanted him to win the Republican nomination back then as she was convinced Gore would screw up, and felt McCain was one of the better Republicans. He also got a lot of press circa 2002-3 as a big Bush critic (anti-Iraq war, I think?).

He always supported the war, even in 2008...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1581611/John-McCain-Early-US-pull-out-from-Iraq-will-cause-genocide.html

19 hours ago, Sean said:

How big was John McCain in the US before 2008 ?I had never heard of him before then but knew who Ted Kennedy Bob Dole Walter Mondale etc were from as long as I can remember.

McCain has been a big deal in the US in one way or another since 1973.