Joey Russ

John McCain

Shouldn't he be resting? Not really the best thing for your health to return to congress only a week after brain surgery...

He looks tired.

For you yanks wondering why your healthcare is so expensive.

Just now, The Mad Hatter said:

For you yanks wondering why your healthcare is so expensive.

I'll put it short for you so you don't have to watch the video: Congressional Republicans

41 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

I'll put it short for you so you don't have to watch the video: Congressional Republicans

Healthcare as a commodity. 

• Like 1

On 07/21/2017 at 21:24, msc said:

Right, let's vacate all the seats up for grabs next year, except McCains due to vagaries of health.
This gives us 23 Democrats to 44 Republicans.
Orrin Hatch, Ted Cruz, Bob Corker and John Barraso will all win easily.
Arizona likely to stay Republican imo.
Now Ohio and Indiana have been trending heavily Republican of late, so those 2 as a pickup wouldn't be a surprise.
West Virginia is another rich Republican area.
Montana and North Dakota are again in areas Republicans tend to do well in.
Then you have the rust belt three - Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn.
All three swung to Trump in November. Who knows if they've swung back already?
After all, the economy has tanked yet, and those who voted for Trump seem happy with him so far.
At this point in time, all 3 might easily be in play.
This takes us to 58 Republicans, and still assumes that:

- Nevada is a gain for the Democrat
- Claire McCaskill continues to fight gravity in Missouri
- That the primarying of Gillibrand and Bernie and others doesn't happen, or isn't successful, and that if it is, it doesn't split the base enough.

The flipside of this is that the four (not by-elections) since Trump being President have shown a 9% swing on average to the Democrats.
Now, they've all been in safe seats, and there's the old adage of swing being larger in swing seats.
However, I dunno how much you can extend swing to US elections, and more pertinently, there's no proof of this pro-Democrat turn yet in any big vote. (chicken, egg, I know...)

All in all, not a great election outlook if you're a Dem.

In the Georgia Congressional election in June trump/ trump endorsed candidate gained voters from Nov 2016. Trump barely beat Hilary (half a percentage point i think)in that district yet Karen Handel won by over 4%. I don't think trump has lost an election so far he was expected to win, his only real failure was coming in second in Iowa during the Republican primaries.

No way any heavily Republican areas will go Democrat, trump can get people to the polls and he is very good at that. A strong vocal leader isn't something the Democrats have. They were studies done in the primaries and trump voters tend to be the most loyal by over 90% , I can't see anything that trump has done ( maybe bombing Syria) that has drove away his voters. I wouldn't be surprised if its a trump clean sweep and he wins all the seats , though a 1 or 2 losses wouldn't be the end of the world.

The thing that I think many people from both parties are missing about Trump is that he actually doesn't understand how the law works. Trump will claim that something has done, but he doesn't understand that the change takes effect immediately, and he doesn't know how to properly execute the law. 

Let's look at the Paris Climate Agreement withdrawal for a moment to see what I mean. On June 1st, he announced withdrawal from that agreement, but the United States can't officially leave the agreement until November 4, 2020 because they are required to stay 3 years after they joined the agreement, and it takes another year to withdraw from the agreement, so, as of right now, they are still technically in agreement. Really, the only thing that he has done successfully done was to nominate the Supreme Court Justice that would replace Scalia, though he's fighting as hard as he can to get that Muslim ban through. 

I really don't think Trump will be reelected for a second term, because while the conservative population will go for him again, he'll lose a key group of people who voted for him, and those are the outsiders, because those who voted for the outsider realized how shit his time as president actually is, and at the same, the Democratic Party now have a common enemy that they all hate, Trump. They'll come in as larger numbers as they can to prevent his reelection. This won't effect state elections or senate elections, imo, because it's Trump that they hate, NOT necessarily the Republican Party in general. 

FYI, before any people who only believe liberal stuff come in to complain about losing Obamacare, the vote was to motion debate and amendments on it, as McCain himself said he wouldn't vote for the bill as it is today, and calls for a bipartisan effort. What a good man...

P.S. Sorry for writing such a long post. I just felt it was necessary...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the_engineer said:

In the Georgia Congressional election in June trump/ trump endorsed candidate gained voters from Nov 2016. Trump barely beat Hilary (half a percentage point i think)in that district yet Karen Handel won by over 4%. I don't think trump has lost an election so far he was expected to win, his only real failure was coming in second in Iowa during the Republican primaries.

No way any heavily Republican areas will go Democrat, trump can get people to the polls and he is very good at that. A strong vocal leader isn't something the Democrats have. They were studies done in the primaries and trump voters tend to be the most loyal by over 90% , I can't see anything that trump has done ( maybe bombing Syria) that has drove away his voters. I wouldn't be surprised if its a trump clean sweep and he wins all the seats , though a 1 or 2 losses wouldn't be the end of the world.

that's because every single race held this year was held by trump appointees in traditionally conservative states.

Montana, Georgia, South Carolina, and Kansas. 

We should be surprised that Rob Quist and Jon Ossoff came so close in their districts.

First, McCain voted for opening the debate on healthcare reform, then he said that he would seek compromise and that he would not vote for the bill in its current form, and then he voted for it:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/25/politics/senate-health-care-vote/index.html?

When the full on repeal Obamacare without replacement vote came, McCain was one of 7 republicans to vote no on that. Good man... 

• Like 2

Great man.

He just joined Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski to vote against the "Skinny Repeal" of Obamacare, walking into the chamber and loudly saying "no" in the middle of the hearing :lol:

The repeal vote has failed 51-49 and it fell flat on it's face right in front of Mitch McConnell, his face is priceless...

Video

The gasps from the two female GOP senators that supported it (Capito and Fischer) and the claps from the democrats made it so much better.

They spent all that money and flew him all the way in from Arizona vote presumptively vote for their bill, and then he shot it down with one word :D

Trump even tweeted about it...

IMG_0514.JPG

• Like 2

So he voted to allow the debate, which meant McConnell and co thought he'd vote for the bill, and then allowed it to have all the flaws pointed out on the floor... then voted against it?

Sounds like the chap with the debilitating brian cancer's still cannier than a lot of his colleagues, tbh.

• Like 5

US politics will be worse off without him, I for one hope he can beat his cancer.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Returning to Arizona for treatment:

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/28/politics/cancer-treatment-to-start-for-mccain/index.html

John McCain is an angry, vindictive man. Luckily, for millions of people, he decided to stick it to his own party this time.

As I see it, most other senators that had mixed feelings for the proposal might have been bullied into voting for it by the Republican leadership. McCain, on the other hand, probably knows he's living on borrowed time, and should only care about the legacy he leaves behind.

I'd guess that his case might parallel Ted Kennedy's last year: for a few months he might remain active despite a demanding treatment schedule but becomes frail and prone to seizures after less than a year and no longer able to work for the last 3-4 months of his life.

15 minutes ago, GossipGabe said:

As I see it, most other senators that had mixed feelings for the proposal might have been bullied into voting for it by the Republican leadership. McCain, on the other hand, probably knows he's living on borrowed time, and should only care about the legacy he leaves behind.

I'd guess that his case might parallel Ted Kennedy's last year: for a few months he might remain active despite a demanding treatment schedule but becomes frail and prone to seizures after less than a year and no longer able to work for the last 3-4 months of his life.

As far as I have read, because of procedural matters, passing something with regard to healthcare was necessary to keep the legislative agenda of the Republican Congress alive. They needed savings from health-care reform/repeal so they could use the money for other things, as far as I understand. Now, a lot of what they want to do cannot be done anymore. So there were also very practical reasons why the republican senators had to vote "yes". But yes, why should John McCain care? I give him 8-9 months. 

I wonder who is going to play him in the inevitable movie. Ed Harris?

17 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I wonder who is going to play him in the inevitable movie. Ed Harris?

Daniel Day-Lewis when he comes out of retirement and makes him comeback...

New pics ft. Joe Lieberman. Looks fucking awful. Is it possible for him to croak before January?

IMG_2813.PNG

Yes, it's possible for all of us to croak before January.

Those of us with brain tumours, more so.

• Like 6

I wonder if the sudden aging was more as a result of the chemo than the actual cancer. I mean, people often look awful after chemo, yet, they still live for a while yet. 

Anyways, if McCain is still alive on January first (and I think he will, but anything can happen between now and then), he's a definite lock for my team. I think he'll likely be in the top ten of the drop 40 next year as well, if he makes it of course...

• Like 1

When i first saw this pick I thought holy shit what happened to McCain and then I realised that I was looking at Lieberman. 

• Haha 4

Close-up from a week ago:

https://pilotonline.com/news/nation-world/national/sen-mccain-faces-cancer-battle-with-typical-feistiness/article_e50d2753-1621-5fd9-b5f5-fe9c8d4a501d.html

Looks like the radiation has burned his skin, or something. He really looks very, very tired.

21 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

New pics ft. Joe Lieberman. Looks fucking awful. Is it possible for him to croak before January?

IMG_2813.PNG

I am more concerned about the butterflies on his tee-shirt. Maybe he couldn´t find his cleanest-dirty shirt and borrowed one from his wife. (My conspiracy theories friends would say: Monarch-Programming - I thought it was only for female though.)