Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gcreptile

49. Ginger Baker

Recommended Posts

Thread for "Rock's first superstar drummer" and founder of Cream, Ginger Baker, turning 78 later this month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Baker

 

He's still occasionally performing, in spite of decades of smoking, COPD since 2013, open heart surgery in 2016 and a fall in the same year.

 

This is the most recent review I found:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/glasgow-jazz-festival-reviews-ginger-baker-tony-allen-the-bevvy-sisters-1-4487474

 

It features the descriptions "sick man", "evident frailty", and "how (?) he still manages to play at all".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did he no have one before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently not... He was mentioned in the Drummers thread though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he goes next, you really could say the members of Cream are going in the wrong order.

 

Wont make the Deathlist imo, he'll die before consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if he died this year. Copd + recent heart surgery means he hasn't got long left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he died this year. Copd + recent heart surgery means he hasn't got long left.

Does that mean that there will be no more Cream reunions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bladan said:

Does that mean that there will be no more Cream reunions?

No, I am pretty sure Jack Bruce's death meant that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

No, I am pretty sure Jack Bruce's death meant that.

 

It would be difficult for them to continue without Jack Bruce. Although HeadCat have continued on even after Lemmy's death.  They now have David Vincent from Morbid Angel on bass and vocals. 

They're still retaining the name of HeadCat, despite suggestions that the band should be called MorbidCat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

No, I am pretty sure Jack Bruce's death meant that.

 

19 hours ago, Phantom said:

 

It would be difficult for them to continue without Jack Bruce. Although HeadCat have continued on even after Lemmy's death.  They now have David Vincent from Morbid Angel on bass and vocals. 

They're still retaining the name of HeadCat, despite suggestions that the band should be called MorbidCat.

Perhaps Crapton could start a new band and call it Cream? Uriah Sheep has only one original member too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very nice and decent post ..... You rocked posting it .... Thanks a lot for posting it ....!!!!

  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Johni said:

This is very nice and decent post ..... You rocked posting it .... Thanks a lot for posting it ....!!!!

Yeah, I know I finally rocked... thanks. Rocker is my middle name! Unlike Crapton, Jimi Hendrix Experience would experience huge difficulties if they tried to reunion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interview with Ginger Baker's son Kofi:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/ginger-bakers-son-talks-father-music-of-cream-tour-w521181

 

Interesting quote: "My dad is such an asshole that it's not like I was stressed about making him proud or anything."

 

He also says that his father is deaf now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/08/2017 at 06:43, msc said:

If he goes next, you really could say the members of Cream are going in the wrong order.

 

Wont make the Deathlist imo, he'll die before consideration.

Well, we can't get all of our predictions right...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use