gcreptile

Ginger Baker

Ginger, it was Sir Creep what championed your name the past couple years, so he was honoured to see it pop up this year on DL.

Thanks for the music.

RIP

SC

RIP Ginger (1939 - 2019), may you Rest In Peace.

RIP to a great drummer. Loved listening to two of their songs, White Room and Sunshine of Your Love.

Another dead classic rock legend, RIP

Apologies if the frenzied activity on the thread has already uncovered it but in the various bits of death coverage his residence was discussed. Not near Charing as previously thought but within walking distance (not that he walked much near the end) of Whitstable

I think the committee should get full kudos for this one. Not one who was featuring heavily in DDP teams and Shadow Lists so it is a good pick when it is a hit.

• Like 10

Tribute gig announced with Eric Clapton.

Eric Clapton will pay tribute to his former Cream and Blind Faith band mate Ginger Baker, who died last month, at a concert honoring Baker. “Eric Clapton & Friends: A Tribute To Ginger Baker” will be held at the Eventim Apollo Hammersmith in London on February 17, 2020.

So far, Clapton is the only artist that has been confirmed for the show, which is expected to feature music from his time with Baker in both Cream and Blind Faith. More lineup announcements are forthcoming.

1 hour ago, Toast said:

Tribute gig announced with Eric Clapton.

Eric Clapton will pay tribute to his former Cream and Blind Faith band mate Ginger Baker, who died last month, at a concert honoring Baker. “Eric Clapton & Friends: A Tribute To Ginger Baker” will be held at the Eventim Apollo Hammersmith in London on February 17, 2020.

So far, Clapton is the only artist that has been confirmed for the show, which is expected to feature music from his time with Baker in both Cream and Blind Faith. More lineup announcements are forthcoming.

Perhaps the tribute is going to go a bit beyond just music?

Ginger Baker was by far the greatest drummer of all time.  He would turn a so-so song into greatness.  There are many songs by Cream that, without him, would barely hold their weight.  I often will listen to those songs and think "I am so glad Ginger was playing on this,  any other drummer would be boring".        

I am grateful he was still showing his fine skills at the Cream performance at the the Royal Albert Hall (May 2-3-5-6 2005).   Watching video clips of that concert are a treat. 

23 minutes ago, Szabaka said:

Ginger Baker was by far the greatest drummer of all time.  He would turn a so-so song into greatness.  There are many songs by Cream that, without him, would barely hold their weight.  I often will listen to those songs and think "I am so glad Ginger was playing on this,  any other drummer would be boring".        

I am grateful he was still showing his fine skills at the Cream performance at the the Royal Albert Hall (May 2-3-5-6 2005).   Watching video clips of that concert are a treat. 

Agree with you but would go further and say the reason I don't much listen to Cream is that I'm listening to three great musicians dignifying ordinary thoughts and ideas with their genius. Oddly, you might put them with Bros on the basic that they sound brilliant for 30 seconds (all the right noises, few great songs) IMHO at least.