gcreptile

Ginger Baker

Thread for "Rock's first superstar drummer" and founder of Cream, Ginger Baker, turning 78 later this month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger_Baker

He's still occasionally performing, in spite of decades of smoking, COPD since 2013, open heart surgery in 2016 and a fall in the same year.

This is the most recent review I found:

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/culture/music/glasgow-jazz-festival-reviews-ginger-baker-tony-allen-the-bevvy-sisters-1-4487474

It features the descriptions "sick man", "evident frailty", and "how (?) he still manages to play at all".

Did he no have one before?

Apparently not... He was mentioned in the Drummers thread though.

If he goes next, you really could say the members of Cream are going in the wrong order.

Wont make the Deathlist imo, he'll die before consideration.

I wouldn't be surprised if he died this year. Copd + recent heart surgery means he hasn't got long left.

20 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he died this year. Copd + recent heart surgery means he hasn't got long left.

Does that mean that there will be no more Cream reunions?

10 hours ago, bladan said:

Does that mean that there will be no more Cream reunions?

No, I am pretty sure Jack Bruce's death meant that.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

It would be difficult for them to continue without Jack Bruce. Although HeadCat have continued on even after Lemmy's death.  They now have David Vincent from Morbid Angel on bass and vocals. 

They're still retaining the name of HeadCat, despite suggestions that the band should be called MorbidCat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

19 hours ago, Phantom said:

It would be difficult for them to continue without Jack Bruce. Although HeadCat have continued on even after Lemmy's death.  They now have David Vincent from Morbid Angel on bass and vocals. 

They're still retaining the name of HeadCat, despite suggestions that the band should be called MorbidCat.

Perhaps Crapton could start a new band and call it Cream? Uriah Sheep has only one original member too.

This is very nice and decent post ..... You rocked posting it .... Thanks a lot for posting it ....!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

22 minutes ago, Johni said:

This is very nice and decent post ..... You rocked posting it .... Thanks a lot for posting it ....!!!!

Yeah, I know I finally rocked... thanks. Rocker is my middle name! Unlike Crapton, Jimi Hendrix Experience would experience huge difficulties if they tried to reunion.

Interview with Ginger Baker's son Kofi:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/ginger-bakers-son-talks-father-music-of-cream-tour-w521181

Interesting quote: "My dad is such an asshole that it's not like I was stressed about making him proud or anything."

He also says that his father is deaf now.

On 05/08/2017 at 06:43, msc said:

If he goes next, you really could say the members of Cream are going in the wrong order.

Wont make the Deathlist imo, he'll die before consideration.

Well, we can't get all of our predictions right...

• Like 1

80 today :birthday:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Book said:

80 today :birthday:

Unbelievable, but true!

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 10:01, redrumours said:

Unbelievable, but true!

We'll say the same thing if he turns out to be the last Creamer standing (though actually he and Clapton both struggle to stand these days)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

We'll say the same thing if he turns out to be the last Creamer standing (though actually he and Clapton both struggle to stand these days)

Their wives ain't happy. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Their wives ain't happy. 

Have you ever seen that documentary Beware of Mr Baker. It'd be fair to say it makes clear that being Mrs Ginger Baker is a challenge.

10 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Have you ever seen that documentary Beware of Mr Baker. It'd be fair to say it makes clear that being Mrs Ginger Baker is a challenge.

You've intrigued me.  I'll have to check it out now if it's readily available. 

18 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

You've intrigued me.  I'll have to check it out now if it's readily available. 

Few years old now so likely on a few of the major streaming services. It starts with Baker attacking the documentary maker with a stick. Last I heard Ginger lived fairly close to me; not seen him, mind. A few other local celebs - Vic Reeves, Sean (Barry from Eastenders) Williamson - are regularly sighted. It's not the kind of locale in which people feel the need to be reclusive.

• Like 1

On 23/08/2019 at 17:42, maryportfuncity said:

Few years old now so likely on a few of the major streaming services. It starts with Baker attacking the documentary maker with a stick. Last I heard Ginger lived fairly close to me; not seen him, mind. A few other local celebs - Vic Reeves, Sean (Barry from Eastenders) Williamson - are regularly sighted. It's not the kind of locale in which people feel the need to be reclusive.

Thought he lives in South Africa according to the documentary. Unless he's moved since it was made. 

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Thought he lives in South Africa according to the documentary. Unless he's moved since it was made. 

So, tbh I don't know for sure and online suggestions include current residence in Colorado. I heard he moved because of the need the need for access to good medical services and he used the NHS because he was not too wealthy and basically uninsurable in some places. So friend of a friend stuff said he was near Ashford in Kent. If anyone knows for sure we could organise a DLCon and see if he attacks us with a stick!