gcreptile

Ginger Baker

On 23/08/2019 at 17:42, maryportfuncity said:

Few years old now so likely on a few of the major streaming services. It starts with Baker attacking the documentary maker with a stick. Last I heard Ginger lived fairly close to me; not seen him, mind. A few other local celebs - Vic Reeves, Sean (Barry from Eastenders) Williamson - are regularly sighted. It's not the kind of locale in which people feel the need to be reclusive

Ooh, I didn't know you now lived near Ashford, nor did I know Ginger Baker (possibly) lives round there too. If I see him I'll try to run the miserable old git down (nb: this won't happen until at least 1 January 2020 as he's not on my DDP list).

• Haha 1

Critically ill in hospital, according to his family.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, JQW said:

Fearing the worst - if he was remotely in the land of the conscious he'd have thumped someone with a drumstick for tweeting that announcement

• Haha 1

If he *does* live in Charing, do we have anyone here who works at William Harvey?

That sounds ominous, but as I think I've said a few times, he's done bloody well to make it to 80.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JQW said:

In the black room with black curtains near the station...

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Vinegar Tits said:

If he *does* live in Charing, do we have anyone here who works at William Harvey?

Or anyone prepared to fall off their bike and roll around until the ambulance arrives?

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, msc said:

That sounds ominous, but as I think I've said a few times, he's done bloody well to make it to 80.

Seems if rock stars get past 27 then they are generally in a safe zone 

• Like 1

Definitely sounds like the end.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Definitely sounds like the end.

Aye, and it's struck me before now that Ginger is a name like Dick that's pretty much had its day.  He's Peter Edward Baker on his birth certificate btw.

Shame really, because as the last notable person known as "Ginger" I was about to tap him up to provide the theme tune to my latest attempt at creating reality television gold. I had this idea for a show called Fat Ginger Scots Benefit Cases vs Relentless Desert Sunshine. I could see that working

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, and it's struck me before now that Ginger is a name like Dick that's pretty much had its day.  He's Peter Edward Baker on his birth certificate btw.

Re Dick, I was surprised to see that a distant younger relative of mine who I always knew as Richard calls himself 'Dick' on Facebook.

Many people have recovered from being critically ill.It's premature to write him off just yet ! 

1 hour ago, CoffinLodger said:

Many people have recovered from being critically ill.It's premature to write him off just yet ! 

Yeah, and if he pulls through his final charting appearance will be #1 in the DDP Drop 40 of 2020

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Shame really, because as the last notable person known as "Ginger" I was about to tap him up to provide the theme tune to my latest attempt at creating reality television gold. I had this idea for a show called Fat Ginger Scots Benefit Cases vs Relentless Desert Sunshine. I could see that working

Rock music in general has pretty much had its day - hell, you could say the same about good music full stop

All these old grandads who made this cool as fuck music in the 60s and 70s are dying off and now we just have EDM (Electronic Dance Music) as the main genre that young people listen to

1 minute ago, Weebl said:

Rock music in general has pretty much had its day - hell, you could say the same about good music full stop

All these old grandads who made this cool as fuck music in the 60s and 70s are all dying off and now we just have EDM (Electronic Dance Music) as the main genre that young people listen to

Harsh IMHO - of late I have been slamming to the most recent Bat for Lashes album and played the most recent - i.e. last year - Let's Eat Grandma album on my way to work yesterday. I'd have to say the best and most vital popular music talents these days are female IMHO.

2 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Not his case.

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

Harsh IMHO - of late I have been slamming to the most recent Bat for Lashes album and played the most recent - i.e. last year - Let's Eat Grandma album on my way to work yesterday. I'd have to say the best and most vital popular music talents these days are female IMHO.

Well maybe it's me that's the dinosaur then, even though I'm only in my 30s

I saw the band Chvrches at a festival this year - I'm guessing you like them as well?

This is just me personally, but anything that had politically correct or feminist themes I would not be caught dead listening to

And if that makes me a cunt like Boris Johnson and all the rest of the right wing deplorables that society loves to hate then so be it

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Weebl said:

I saw the band Chvrches at a festival this year - I'm guessing you like them as well?

This is just me personally, but anything that had politically correct or feminist themes I would not be caught dead listening to

And if that makes me a cunt like Boris Johnson and all the rest of the right wing deplorables that society loves to hate then so be it

I abhor prejudice though I loathe political correctness even more. Patronising rubbish stifling honesty and free speech, has achieved precisely fuck all and only enabled the likes of Boris Johnson and Donald Trump to thrive 

• Like 1

When it comes to cool guitar music, I see St. Vincent as a "carrier of the torch".

But Yeah, in terms of quantity, rock music has seen better days.

1 hour ago, drol said:

Not his case.

And this is usually when the alarm bells start ringing (and put us on standby for a hit! as is what's happening with Ginger.) 

3 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Bat for Lashes is fucking incredible. Just my entry for this thread :wub:

3 hours ago, Weebl said:

Well...

Now here's a thing. There's loads of strange stuff lacking in political correctness I love listening to but would hate to meet dedicated fans of. A recent(ish) discovery being Charlie and his Orchestra. Well worth a Google - genuine Nazi swing band, not that they swung much. But could knock out a reworking of a popular tune and inhabit the middle eight with a rap about the current failings of the allied war effort.

I have a question for the Brits on this website. Is he actually extremely well known in your country? Or is he just on this list, because we know that he is a lifelong smoker with previous health issues?

(Sorry I’m just an ill-informed American).

2 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I have a question for the Brits on this website. Is he actually extremely well known in your country? Or is he just on this list, because we know that he is a lifelong smoker with previous health issues?

(Sorry I’m just an ill-informed American).

Nope he is a household name in Britain.

• Like 1