gcreptile

Ginger Baker

31 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I have a question for the Brits on this website. Is he actually extremely well known in your country? Or is he just on this list, because we know that he is a lifelong smoker with previous health issues?

(Sorry I’m just an ill-informed American).

I'm basically with the reply above - well enough known to a generation of rock fans to be nailed-on obitable and likely mentioned in almost all our major daily papers and main television news bulletins (unless he carks the day we leave the EU)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm basically with the reply above - well enough known to a generation of rock fans to be nailed-on obitable and likely mentioned in almost all our major daily papers and main television news bulletins (unless he carks the day we leave the EU)

He is immortal then !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sean said:

He is immortal then !

Not that level - he's been working for decades but never reached the same heights as he did with Cream who split up 50 odd years ago.

Then again, there are big names - like Eric Clapton - to mention in his obit.

From his Twitter account:

“UPDATE! Ginger is holding his own & thank you for all your good wishes. He is receiving visits from close family & very special friends.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I knew it!  All those voting for him as 10th Death have saved him.  Well done :D

• Like 3

Doesn’t look like he’s recovering with that phrasing (holding his own easily could just be him being stable), and even if he does end up surviving this hospitalization it still has vibes of beginning of the end for me...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Doesn’t look like he’s recovering with that phrasing (holding his own easily could just be him being stable), and even if he does end up surviving this hospitalization it still has vibes of beginning of the end for me...

Holding his own normally means hanging on in there.The fact that it says very special friends and  close family are visiting also sounds like saying goodbye/Bedside vigil to me.

• Like 5

That carries him into next month. He's not going to evade his fate for long... but it's time for someone else to become that 10th death.

I'm tired of weeping, I'm tired of moaning, I'm tired of groaning for you

So, Advent Avalanche, is it even a goer for plucky Ginger. I say...yeah!

Feeling fantastic and planning his solo world tour for next year with 190 dates confirmed. That is what we will hear tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

it still has vibes of beginning of the end for me...

Oh I’m sorry to hear that Joey - hope you get the chance to say goodbye to your loved ones.

• Haha 3

On 28/09/2019 at 14:59, Sean said:

Nope he is a household name in Britain.

Actually I don't think he is. If you're a rock fan, certainly, but Cream never had a top ten single and putting the question to a random gathering of older family members over the weekend - several of whom grew up in that era or were rock or pop fans in the late 60s and 70s -  while most had heard of Cream, none could name any members apart from Clapton (or more than 2 of their songs). He's certainly more famous than Johnny Clegg, but if you asked 100 'ordinary' people to name members of Cream on Pointless (a UK Quiz Show) 90% + would say 'who are Cream?' and  I'd be amazed if more than 1 or 2 could name him.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Actually I don't think he is. If you're a rock fan, certainly, but Cream never had a top ten single and putting the question to a random gathering of older family members over the weekend - several of whom grew up in that era or were rock or pop fans in the late 60s and 70s -  while most had heard of Cream, none could name any members apart from Clapton (or more than 2 of their songs). He's certainly more famous than Johnny Clegg, but if you asked 100 'ordinary' people to name members of Cream on Pointless (a UK Quiz Show) 90% + would say 'who are Cream?' and  I'd be amazed if more than 1 or 2 could name him.

So, the two songs they could name were Sunshine of your Love and Strange Brew, right?

3 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

So, the two songs they could name were Sunshine of your Love and Strange Brew, right?

Yes and no (I feel free, as it happens).

4 minutes ago, Great Uncle Bulgaria said:

Yes and no (I feel free, as it happens).

Oh aye, the odd thing being Sunshine of your Love peaked at 25, the other two made the top 20 but Sunshine of your Love kept on selling and earned a gold disc in the UK.

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye, the odd thing being Sunshine of your Love peaked at 25, the other two made the top 20 but Sunshine of your Love kept on selling and earned a gold disc in the UK.

Quite fond of Strange Brew's B side, Tales of Brave Ulysses.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aww, that might have been a good question for Guess The Song. 

• Like 1

I Feel Free would be the stand out track for me. 

My favorite Cream track is probably White Room, although my music taste is a lot more eclectic than many to say the least...

My favourite Cream track "Badge" co-written with George Harrison.

1 hour ago, redrumours said:

One thing I love about some of Harrison's lyrics is that spirituality and down to earth Scousness can exist side by side - from Badge:

I told you not to wander 'round in the dark
I told you 'bout the swans that they live in the park
Then I told you 'bout our kid, now he's married to Mabel

There's quite a few little asides like that. The "get me home in time for tea" line from It's all too Much and for those who've braved the - ahem - flawed masterpiece that is the Dark Horse album there's the spoken word intro pretty much inviting Frank Sinatra to tackle Far East Man the way he covered Something.

Rant over...

9 hours ago, redrumours said:

Amazingly I never fucking knew that.

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Amazingly I never fucking knew that.

There's always a first time.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, redrumours said:

There's always a first time.

I didn't know either that it's your favourite Cream track

• Haha 3