Sign in to follow this  
Gooseberry Crumble

Dustin Hoffman

Yesterday Dustin Hoffman turned 80.A very distinguished American actor who's starred in some very memorable indeed iconic  films and roles especially The Graduate with Anne Bancroft. A real talent. 

Given that he's had some health issues in recent years mainly being treated for cancer in around 2013,his age and his worth proved as a well known actor. I felt it was time this film legend had his own dedicated thread. 

steve-schapiro-dustin-hoffman-in-%E2%80%

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ratso Rizzo died on a bus in Florida, will Dustin outlive Florida as the oceans rise?

• Confused 1

Could turn out to be tragic! My thoughts are already with his loved ones at this difficult time, sad news, etc.

• Confused 4

Midnight Cowboy

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

Midnight Cowboy

One of my fave films ever!!!!

It's dire with Charles Durning being one of the few redeemable features, imo!

5 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

One of my fave films ever!!!!

Never heard of it, I bet meet the fockers is better.

• Haha 1

I must say, Dustin Hoffman's greatest role, was when he played the dictator/tyrant Captain Hook.  When the movie came out, I was shocked that they had not cast a black actor for Hook, like Danny Glover and James Earl Jones, but Dustin did it well. 

5126_23_large.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RobertMugabe said:

I must say, Dustin Hoffman's greatest role, was when he played the dictator/tyrant Captain Hook.  When the movie came out, I was shocked that they had not cast a black actor for Hook, like Danny Glover and James Earl Jones, but Dustin did it well. 

5126_23_large.jpg

For me it would have to be The Graduate. So charismatic in that sexually charged role. He won an Oscar for Rainman which many film buffs felt wasn't his best work. 

He did an Excellent job portraying the obnoxious, self-centered director in Wag the Dog. 

On 01/09/2017 at 00:26, heartytones said:

He's still alive and kicking. I guess he won his battle with cancer.

Yes he won it back in 2013 as a moment of googling would have told you?

Accused of sexual harassment against 17-year old in 1985. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, drol said:

Accused of sexual harassment against 17-year old in 1985. 

Wonder when/if the child molestation complaints  against Steven Spielburg and Tom Hanks will come out again. Not sure if Charlie Sheen`s treatment of young boys has come out a while back or not. Sick!

I might catch hell for this, but a 32 year old accusation is absurd.  Yes, harassment might have occurred, but the time to speak out was a long, long time ago.  Now it just looks like people are jumping on the current bandwagon.

• Like 1

I think he was trying to seduce her...

(Is it a her? I have bad wifi here.)

• Haha 2

Just now, gcreptile said:

(Is it a her? I have bad wifi here.)

Yes, it is a her. 

2 minutes ago, theoldlady said:

Wonder when/if the child molestation complaints  against Stenen Spielburg and Tom Hanks will come out again. Not sure if Charlie Sheen`s treatment of young boys has come out a while back or not. Sick!

While I do believe a certain amount of men in Hollywood have committed sexual assault in Hollywood, I'm certain not every person in Hollywood has committed sexual assault, and neither Stephen Spielburg or Tom Hanks strikes me as people who would actually commit sexual assault. Then again, neither did Kevin Spacey, so while I could be wrong, I have my doubts about them...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Yes, it is a her. 

While I do believe a certain amount of men in Hollywood have committed sexual assault in Hollywood, I'm certain not every person in Hollywood has committed sexual assault, and neither Stephen Spielburg or Tom Hanks strikes me as people who would actually commit sexual assault. Then again, neither did Kevin Spacey, so while I could be wrong, I have my doubts about them...

There have been lots of rumours surrounding these three men for years. Please do not confuse their roles/jobs with their real personalities. Check out young male actors who committed suicide and the directors and/ or older male actors they worked with when they were children. Many young former child actors have developed drug problems, eating disorders,  even killed themselves. This Kind of behaviour can be Linked to child rape/molestation. 

49 minutes ago, N. Fritz said:

I might catch hell for this, but a 32 year old accusation is absurd.  Yes, harassment might have occurred, but the time to speak out was a long, long time ago.  Now it just looks like people are jumping on the current bandwagon.

I couldn't agree more.

Good grief, if I made a list of all the blokes who let their hands wander, made "inappropriate" suggestions or dirty jokes to me during the 70s and 80s, it would fill a book - even just those I can remember.  It was mostly just exploratory missions to see if they got a favourable response.  No big deal.   If serious sexual assaults or rape took place, it should have been reported at the time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N. Fritz said:

I think in a lot of ways, people are finally speaking out about it because they finally feel like they have the ability to now Harvey Weinstein suffered major consequences, the first major person to do so ever. If people felt like they were sexually assaulted and they didn't speak out then, but are being criticized now they're speaking out, it sounds like you're just excusing it because it happened so long ago, imo of course. 

• Like 1

Clearly, some of those making accusations were young, aspiring actors who, after suffering said sexual assaults weighed everything up and decided that their careers were way more important than bringing the perpetrators to book.

That makes them look ever so cuntish IMHO.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I think in a lot of ways, people are finally speaking out about it because they finally feel like they have the ability to now Harvey Weinstein suffered major consequences, the first major person to do so ever. If people felt like they were sexually assaulted and they didn't speak out then, but are being criticized now they're speaking out, it sounds like you're just excusing it because it happened so long ago, imo of course. 

One can only hope that the Weinstein fallout empowers people who are assaulted/harassed/abused to speak out when their accusations may be acted upon legally.  But so many years after the fact, it comes down to "he said, she said".