Sir Creep

ALS/MND/other degenerative diseases

2 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The paralympics is way older than the deathlist.

Barely limping by these days, though. 

"Legendary" high school football coach Allan Trimble dead of ALS at 56:

https://ktul.com/news/local/legendary-coach-allan-trimble-passes-away

Posting this because his illness was known, and he was on my "dumping ground" list, so he could have been the best possible pick for the Advent Avalanche. But alas, I went for a different "legendary" high school coach.

Twitter reporting the family of Pete Frates have reported his death.

Given history, let's see the online newsprint.

Damn, I got one right!  RIP Pete.  Maybe top 20 for me DDP after all.

(EDIT: 30th. :(  My fault, if I had Fatima Ali as Joker like I shoulda done did, I'd be 19th).
(EDIT2: I still have a MAJOR problem with claiming Vervoort is an unnatural death.  That ruling sucks and is disingenuous to logic and the facts before whoever made it.  As they say, 'tough cases make bad law'.  The ruling blows and I still await someone explaining what the intended result of suicide is if not death.  Perfectly natural.  All those teams a point or two ahead of me on the backs of Vervoort's SHITE bonus are frauds).

Saw a few months back that his eye muscles weakened to the point where he could no longer do the text-to-speech eye tracking thingy. Figured it couldn't have been much longer after that since he was no longer in that Steve Gleason-y stable mode.

9 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

(EDIT2: I still have a MAJOR problem with claiming Vervoort is an unnatural death.  That ruling sucks and is disingenuous to logic and the facts before whoever made it.  As they say, 'tough cases make bad law'.  The ruling blows and I still await someone explaining what the intended result of suicide is if not death.  Perfectly natural.  All those teams a point or two ahead of me on the backs of Vervoort's SHITE bonus are frauds).

1386709676_toysoutofpram.jpg.537b9b8dd93b795a7843e7e2263c3d29.jpg

• Like 3

Former New Orleans Saints American football player Steve Gleason has been awarded the Congressional Gold medal by the U.S. Congress, just the 164th instance of this in Congress' 243-year history.  I know there's a theory that someone's time could be drawing near if they get awards and certain recognition.  I've seen this in Olivia Newton-John threads, as she was given Australia's highest civilian honor in August of last year and was just made a Dame, right?  

Any chance that Gleason is a strong pick for this year?  

Nina Griscom, a model & entrepreneur who was in the movie 'At First Sight' opposite Val Kilmer, Nathan Lane and others and who appeared a handful of times as a judge on 'Iron Chef: America', has died of ALS. She was 65.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/26/obituaries/nina-griscom-dead.html

(Behind paywall)

Sally Nugent meets Doddie Weir, Rob Burrow and Stephen Darby in an exclusive interview for BBC Breakfast.

How long did Ricksen last in hospice care? And he had a lingering case, not a "on last legs 2 years in" type of ALS...

Without googling, I wanna say the first discussion of Ricksen being in hospice was around March last year? And he carked it in September. Six months.

I think his hospice mention was in mid January iirc, so it’s closer to 8 months than 6

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I saw those, but then that exact same image was used in a 2018 story:

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/david-hagen-winner-rangers-see-falkirk-and-hearts-555585

Oh, good find!

I have to admit, it looked a little too well for me, but not having found anything else, I believed it.

Edit: Pretty telling then that there is no new picture?

On 12/02/2020 at 10:25, Spade_Cooley said:

Without googling, I wanna say the first discussion of Ricksen being in hospice was around March last year? And he carked it in September. Six months.

I hate to cough up truly valuable information, buuuuuuttt....

there are complete incorrect notions about ‘hospice’ care and the connotations of the word hospice around these parts.  At least in the USA, hospice is for those who are expected to live less than 6 months, but who need daily care and attention that family can’t be physically present (or untrained) to provide.  What it doesn’t mean is someone has a week to live.  In fact the average hospice care lasts 77 days.  That’s over 2.5 months.  Good Cup playing info.  Sir Creep prolly should have kept that closer to the vest until July lol but it’s topical so there you have it.

SC

48 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

there are complete incorrect notions about ‘hospice’ care and the connotations of the word hospice around these parts.  At least in the USA, hospice is for those who are expected to live less than 6 months, but who need daily care and attention that family can’t be physically present (or untrained) to provide.  What it doesn’t mean is someone has a week to live.  In fact the average hospice care lasts 77 days.  That’s over 2.5 months.  Good Cup playing info.  Sir Creep prolly should have kept that closer to the vest until July lol but it’s topical so there you have it.

SC

Out here, either one means "can I have your truck?"

57 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

If we’re talking hospice care without considering diagnosis then yea it probably lasts 77 days on average. But the length of stay in hospice largely depends on the diagnosis. So someone with cancer is gonna last a month tops. Someone with Alzheimer’s could last >year. ALS is a grey area which is why they’re trying to predict it. This really isn’t news to anyone, especially with the common Cup players. 

The Guardian has an article about Pone, a hip hop artist with a similar situation as Jason Becker.  I hadn't come across him before, and will see if Spotify has anything I can cue up for my run tonight.

And, I just learned how to hyperlink! I think.

• Like 1