Sir Creep

ALS/MND/other degenerative diseases

I’ll admit Hagen was probably my biggest overlook for 2020 and I’ve never seriously considered him which might hurt my DDP chances. (He wasn’t even originally on my DBN team and I had to transfer him in to show how much I didn’t consider him). 

• Like 1

A new video from Doddie Weir's twitter for those who want to form-check. He mentions he's "struggling to breathe" but puts it down to a tight jersey he's wearing :huh:

10 hours ago, msc said:

Would put Reptile top of the DDP. The one year he wasn't sweating over his exact 20 till the deadline...

Heh..  Usually my last-minute changes only make things worse.

My hardest decision was putting Pete Felton on. Again, seemingly a mistake.

Though my last decision this time, if I recall correctly, was the Sultan of Oman.

I wonder if I would have picked John Lewis, if he had announced his illness a day earlier...

Anyway, David Hagen's death, about 8 months after news of him being in hospice, is eerily similar to Fernando Ricksen's timeline.

Spade asked how long Ricksen lasted in hospice... it was 8 months.

On 06/06/2019 at 02:07, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Really good read on the American football player Rickey Dixon who has been living with ALS for about 5 years now.

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/concussions-consequence-and-conscience-ou-football-great-rickey-dixon-reflects/article_50eee032-72b9-11e9-ae7e-9b97f30572cd.html

Rickey Dixon dead at 53.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2020 at 20:56, gcreptile said:

Two new tweets by Ady Barkan that demonstrate his steady decline:

Ugh, I hate this thread but if I gotta do what I gotta do....

Ady Barkan addressing the nation at the  Democratic National Convention tonight.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Ugh, I hate this thread but if I gotta do what I gotta do....

Ady Barkan addressing the nation at the  Democratic National Convention tonight.

Here he is: 

His speech seems to get the most attention of all of yesterday - certainly here in Germany...

...if he survives the year, I could imagine he is going to be a very popular pick.

Ice Bucket Challenge cofounder Pat Quinn dead at 37

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Ice Bucket Challenge cofounder Pat Quinn dead at 37

That's a massive miss - no-one on DDP picked him

Singer, songwriter and musician Pave Maijanen's ALS has progressed pretty quickly to the point he can no longer talk and is in a wheelchair. He's known for his famous songs in the 1980s and downfall in the 1990s, especially for getting the last place in the 1992 eurovision song contest.

https://www.seiska.fi/Uutiset/Sairaus-vei-puhekyvyn-Neumann-ystavansa-Pave-Maijasen-kohtalosta-Vaikeinta-on-tajuta-ettei

He's also 70. One I recommend to put on some list.

Could we change the title of this thread to something less specific, so we can talk about people with MND, Parkinsons, Huntingtons and other similar diseases.

As it stands,  it's a bit like lumping all dementias as Alzheimers.

Degenerative diseases might suffice as an umbrella term.

7 hours ago, Toast said:

Could we change the title of this thread to something less specific, so we can talk about people with MND, Parkinsons, Huntingtons and other similar diseases.

As it stands,  it's a bit like lumping all dementias as Alzheimers.

Degenerative diseases might suffice as an umbrella term.

Good idea.

Through ALS and MND are the same.

On 30/11/2020 at 16:24, arghton said:

Singer, songwriter and musician Pave Maijanen's ALS has progressed pretty quickly to the point he can no longer talk and is in a wheelchair. He's known for his famous songs in the 1980s and downfall in the 1990s, especially for getting the last place in the 1992 eurovision song contest.

https://www.seiska.fi/Uutiset/Sairaus-vei-puhekyvyn-Neumann-ystavansa-Pave-Maijasen-kohtalosta-Vaikeinta-on-tajuta-ettei

He's also 70. One I recommend to put on some list.

Dead at 70:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/viihdeuutiset/a/3ff35c29-ec75-49bf-bd16-e34573f2b5ee

I've got him in AltObits, wasn't sure if he'd be accepted but he was.  Wait and see now.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

I've got him in AltObits, wasn't sure if he'd be accepted but he was.  Wait and see now.

He has already received quality finnish obits and will definitely score. It just depends on when the game runners see it. If they don't, we will notify them.

• Thanks 1

On 12/01/2018 at 08:03, Predictor said:

To stay on-topic, an American TV-personality named Donna Britt has ALS. She is 59.

27 July 2017: http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_bd823cd8-7308-11e7-9136-1f344940e7d9.html

Donna Britt dead - https://www.katc.com/news/covering-louisiana/longtime-wafb-anchor-donna-britt-dies-following-battle-with-als

Picked in this year's Hares by Reptile.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

"Britt ... retiring in 2018 after ... ALS stole her ability to deliver the news."

I dunno, seems she delivered some news just fine today.