Joey Russ

The Counterculture of the 1960's

There are a few persons adopted by the counterculture who would likely not welcome being reminded. Amongst them Erich Von Daniken. Not in the best of health and facing his 83rd birthday in April the convicted fraudster and best-selling author of ancient astronaut - ermm - theories has a gig in Manchester next June. I'm toying with the idea of checking him out but is he worth £50?

Link: http://awakeningufo.com/november-press-release

• Like 1

I thought this footage taken last summer of some of the original Merry Pranksters deserved airing here.  They're a colourful bunch and they're all knocking on a bit now.  At least two of them will walk a UK obit when their long trip ends. 

The lady in the red and white blouse is Carolyn Garcia, former wife of Jerry and better known as Mountain Girl.

The gentleman in the clown outfit is - unmistakably -  Wavy Gravy, who will be 82 this year.  He is the only person who has performed at all three Woodstock festivals.

Holding the microphone is George Walker, Mountain Girl's first husband and probably less likely to obit. 

The man not dressed in hippy garb is Julius Karpen who later became manager of Janis Joplin's band Big Brother and the Holding Company.  He was known as Green Julius due to his absolute refusal to do business with anybody unless they smoked marujana with him first.  Sadly that probably won't be enough to get him an obit, which is a shame as he looks extremely ill in this footage. 

The lady in the black hat is Denise Kaufman, also known as Mary Microgram, who later became a founding member of the first all female rock band The Ace of Cups

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Turn on, tune in, drop dead.

She may see very old age - fairly clean living and not a conspicuous stoner at any point

For completeness, I've posted the death of Susan Anspach elsewhere -- and though she is not on the original list posted above, she certainly portrayed the counterculture in her movie roles, and deserves a shout out here.

SC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

For completeness, I've posted the death of Susan Anspach elsewhere -- and though she is not on the original list posted above, she certainly portrayed the counterculture in her movie roles, and deserves a shout out here.

SC

She didn't portray the counterculture at all. She portrayed a disloyal hoe that fucks Jack Nicholson. I don't see how getting fucked by Jack Nicholson "portrays the counterculture of the 60s" at all.

SMFH welcome to being my only blocked person presently.  Goddamn teenage cunts.

• Haha 1

Bobbie Louise Hawkins, a prodigious Beat Generation poet and novelist whose work reverberated with her hardscrabble Texas childhood and her belated liberation from an overbearing husband, died May 4 at her home in Boulder, Colo. She was 87.  She was married to poet/author Robert Creeley, who died in 2005.
SC

I know he's not on your list, but his obit speaks for itself.  Would be remiss if it was not placed here, imho.

Steve Cannon, a writer, visual artist, gallery owner and patron of multiculturalism, has died.

He died July 7 of apparent septic shock at Veterans Hospital in New York City. He was 84.

A native of New Orleans, Cannon moved to New York in the early 1960s.  Cannon and Ishmael Reed helped found a multicultural publishing house and Reed was among those involved with Cannon's "A Gathering of Tribes," a literary publication, art gallery and arts organization.

Cannon's books included "Groove, Bang and Jive Around," a 1969 publication that Reed called a "pre-rap novel." He also mentored younger writers, among them Man Booker Prize winner Paul Beatty.
SC

On 05/09/2019 at 11:48, Spade_Cooley said:

Ram Dass/Richard Alpert, Tim Leary's old mucker, says he's "ready to die".

And now Ram Dass is dead according to Twitter: 

On 03/09/2017 at 18:44, Joey Russ said:

*snip*
Michael McClure; poet; (1932 - )

*snip*

Sadly Michael McClure appears to be dead

• Like 1

Obscure, but I think best suited to this thread: Core member of Frank Zappa's onetime experimental girl group The GTOS, Miss Mercy Peters, has passed away according to social media posts from her friends.

• Like 1

Hmm, had forgotten this thread was around - but recently read the 50th anniversary edition of Jeff Nuttall's Bomb Culture (insider account of UK counter-culture). It ends with a round up of figures and organizations and had clearly checked a lot of the key people to see if they were breathing when  the 50th anniversary edition came out (2018)

So, I'll drop a few into this thread after I double check because their mates will likely do other lives style Guardian obits even if the various deaths go unremarked elsewhere

For starters 

Pat Arrowsmith - b 1930, biggie in CND and academic - definitely still alive

Sonny Barger - b. 1938, MAJOR figure in the Hells Angels

Martin Bax - dunno when he was born, doctor, novelist and arts journalist - still alive according to Wiki

Joseph Berke - ground-breaking psychotherapist, American, Wiki has him  still alive

Douglas Blazek - b 1941. Poet, still  breathing

Pete Brown -  b. 1940, poet, performer, musician - deffo still alive

Gunter Brus - b. 1938, Artist, film-maker, writer (you know the kind of guy)

Phil Cohen - b.1943, one of those activist types who turned into a major academic

Daniel Cohn-Bendit - b.1945, activist turned career politician

Dave Cunliffe - b.1940, poet turned publisher, looks like he's still alive but no Wiki page

Peter Currell-Brown - b.1936 - author of Smallcreep's Day, that should be enough to snag a small mention here or there as and when

Ivor Davies - b.1935, artist - still active and Welsh enough that his native territory will likely mark his passing

Philip Green - b.1941 and not the mulletted retail tycoon but a translator and writer, widely assumed dead but no proof either way

Book's open but I've got to - like - do some work, I'll post more soon!

Peace and love, man!

Arrowsmith was still giving interviews last year iirc, she's on one of my DDP teams. One of those fascinating but slightly nutty figures who ought to be a DDP hit one day.

On 28/07/2020 at 03:00, Persephone said:

Obscure, but I think best suited to this thread: Core member of Frank Zappa's onetime experimental girl group The GTOS, Miss Mercy Peters, has passed away according to social media posts from her friends.

Miss Mercy obit: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2020-07-31/miss-mercy-gtos-groupie-frank-zappa-dies

• Thanks 1

Author Jerilyn Brandelius, former bookkeeper for the Hell's Angels (?) and former partner of Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart, has died in hospital while another Dead member, Bob Weir, sang to her. 

Not famous in the conventional sense, but a fixture on the San Francisco 'scene' for many years.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Also a time traveller it appears. :P

”Died in Paris December 6, 2021”. 

A son's grief!

When he says "last night" obvs means January 6.

And it wouldn't be time travel, it would be a "happening," baby!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

A son's grief!

When he says "last night" obvs means January 6.

Father died today. Or, maybe, yesterday; I can’t be sure. The telegram from the Home says: YOUR FATHER PASSED AWAY. FUNERAL TOMORROW. DEEP SYMPATHY. Which leaves the matter doubtful; it could have been yesterday.

• Like 1