Joey Russ

The Counterculture of the 1960's

Margo St. James, feminist activist and founder of COYOTE in 1973, has died according to posts on Facebook and Twitter. She was married to Paul Avery. Seems like an interesting lady, and more interesting that the other side of her family appear to be ‘back the blue’ Republicans.

• Like 1

On 04/09/2017 at 01:44, Joey Russ said:

One of the topics that I am the most interested in is the counterculture of the 1960's and early 1970's. There is just something about that era that always seem so fascinating to me, and makes me wonder what influential figures are still around from that era. So behold, I have made a list of people who have put in major influence from the counterculture in one way or another. I also do wonder which of these will be the last survivor of this group of very influential individuals. Anyways, here are the names:

<snip>

Rennie Davis; activist, community organizer; (1941 - )

<snip>

It wouldn't surprise me if they're all dead within 20 years tbh, but I suspect there will be a few hanging on in 2038...

Rennie Davis dead aged 79

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

He was one of the Chicago 8 put on trial for demonstrating at the 1968 Democratic convention. Only three of them are left now.

Only two by my count: Froines and Weiner. 

4 hours ago, arrowsmith said:

Only two by my count: Froines and Weiner. 

Bobby Seale

• Thanks 1

Bob Matthews,  sound engineer and integral part of the Grateful Dead furniture, has died according to a tweet by Bob Weir.   

• Like 2

Just noticed the sequence of names mentioned in the three posts above 

Bob 

Bob 

Bob 

Bobby 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

Bob 

Bob 

Bob 

Bobby 

Am I sick in the head because that just made me think of Maxwell?

Not that it wasn't a joke at the time mind....

On 25/09/2021 at 21:59, DevonDeathTrip said:

Bob 

Bob 

Bob 

Bobby 

And now Robert! When the dead, dead Robert comes bob, bob, bobbin' along...

• Like 1

On 27/01/2018 at 22:55, DevonDeathTrip said:

I thought this footage taken last summer of some of the original Merry Pranksters deserved airing here.  They're a colourful bunch and they're all knocking on a bit now.  At least two of them will walk a UK obit when their long trip ends. 

The lady in the red and white blouse is Carolyn Garcia, former wife of Jerry and better known as Mountain Girl.

The gentleman in the clown outfit is - unmistakably -  Wavy Gravy, who will be 82 this year.  He is the only person who has performed at all three Woodstock festivals.

Holding the microphone is George Walker, Mountain Girl's first husband and probably less likely to obit. 

The man not dressed in hippy garb is Julius Karpen who later became manager of Janis Joplin's band Big Brother and the Holding Company.  He was known as Green Julius due to his absolute refusal to do business with anybody unless they smoked marujana with him first.  Sadly that probably won't be enough to get him an obit, which is a shame as he looks extremely ill in this footage. 

The lady in the black hat is Denise Kaufman, also known as Mary Microgram, who later became a founding member of the first all female rock band The Ace of Cups

Ed McClanahan, author and Captain Kentucky, reportedly dead aged 89: https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/kentucky/article255770651.html

• Like 4

On 04/09/2017 at 01:44, Joey Russ said:

One of the topics that I am the most interested in is the counterculture of the 1960's and early 1970's. There is just something about that era that always seem so fascinating to me, and makes me wonder what influential figures are still around from that era. So behold, I have made a list of people who have put in major influence from the counterculture in one way or another. I also do wonder which of these will be the last survivor of this group of very influential individuals. Anyways, here are the names:

Todd Gitlin; activist; (1943 - )

Todd Gitlin reportedly a goner: DDP Pick previously I believe, not sure if picked now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Todd Gitlin reportedly a goner: DDP Pick previously I believe, not sure if picked now.

Not picked this year unfortunately 

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2017 at 20:44, Joey Russ said:

Richard Alpert; professor, spiritual teacher; (1931 - 2019)

Bill Ayers; activist, professor; (1944 - )

Joan Baez; musician, activist; (1941 - )

Sonny Barger; Hells Angels; (1938 - )

Sonny Barger, a founding member of the Hells Angels and the author of the book 'Sons of Anarchy', has died. He was 83. A unique DDP pick, too.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/29/sonny-barger-famous-hells-angel-and-bestselling-author-dead-at-83-of-cancer/

• Like 8

2 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

Sonny Barger, a founding member of the Hells Angels and the author of the book 'Sons of Anarchy', has died. He was 83. A unique DDP pick, too.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/06/29/sonny-barger-famous-hells-angel-and-bestselling-author-dead-at-83-of-cancer/

Sonny Barger QO: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10968615/Hells-Angels-founding-member-Sonny-Barger-dies-aged-83-cancer.html

• Like 2

Hugh - Wavy Gravy - Romney continues, turned 86 in May

Seriously, some of these hippies were dope-addled back then, their continued hold on life is - in itself - life affirming

Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wavy_Gravy#Personal_life

• Like 1