Joey Russ

Will 2017 Be a Bigger Year In Deaths Than 2016?

Will 2017 be a bigger year in deaths than 2016?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know people don't like seeing a lot of polls, but I think this will be a good food for thought. Plus, it's not another one of those pointless celebrity with one common trait poll (which unless it's Megrahi vs Robin Gibb, it's going to be shit). This is more because I am seeing people bringing up the question of whether 2017 is going to be bigger than 2016, and I could see arguments going both ways. Personally, I think that 2017 won't be bigger than 2016 due to the quality of the names in 2016 that 2017 lacks (not saying 2017 doesn't have quality, it just that it doesn't have the same quality of names as 2016, if you know what I mean). However, I do think these two years is only the start of an even bigger celebrity death epidemic that'll last decades. Actually, people could argue that it started back in 2012 even...

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

We still have 3 and a half months left to get 3 hits. Seems likely.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

However, I do think these two years is only the start of an even bigger celebrity death epidemic that'll last decades.

This is stating the obvious. 

Before the mid 20th century, there was no popular mass media, and therefore few "celebrities" - just famous people such as royalty, certain stage performers, notable inventors, explorers and suchlike. 

The advent of TV, film, tabloid newspapers and a wider range and availability of popular music brought with it many more familiar names and faces.  Many of these personalities are now in or approaching old age.  There's no "epidemic", it's just people reaching the end of their natural life span.

The poll is pointless IMO as it's subjective and not quantifiable. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I'd say probably not.  It's not as huge a year as 2003, 2009, or 2016.  Definitely a big one tho, maybe the second biggest of this decade so far

36 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I know people don't like seeing a lot of polls, but I think this will be a good food for thought. Plus, it's not another one of those pointless celebrity with one common trait poll (which unless it's Megrahi vs Robin Gibb, it's going to be shit). This is more because I am seeing people bringing up the question of whether 2017 is going to be bigger than 2016, and I could see arguments going both ways. Personally, I think that 2017 won't be bigger than 2016 due to the quality of the names in 2016 that 2017 lacks (not saying 2017 doesn't have quality, it just that it doesn't have the same quality of names as 2016, if you know what I mean). However, I do think these two years is only the start of an even bigger celebrity death epidemic that'll last decades. Actually, people could argue that it started back in 2012 even...

No it won't.

It's just you upping your post count with a pointless thread.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't have said it better than what Toast said.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it'll be bigger. 2017 is a bigger number than 2016.

Done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless somebody very big (a US president, Hillary, The Queen...) dies, i'd say NO.

I mean just look at the music business. 2016 took Bowie, Prince, Cohen, White, Haggard, George Michael, Scotty Moore, Sinatra Jr., Emerson...Whilst The biggest music death in 2017 so far is Chuck Berry, and he was freaking ninety, which in rock and roll circles, is equivalent to Jeanne Calment levels.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Unless somebody very big (a US president, Hillary, The Queen...) dies, i'd say NO.

I mean just look at the music business. 2016 took Bowie, Prince, Cohen, White, Haggard, George Michael, Scotty Moore, Emerson...Whilst The biggest music death in 2017 so far is Chuck Berry, and he was freaking ninety, which in rock and roll circles, is equivalent to Jeanne Calment levels.

Who's White? Just not registering right now. Last time I checked Jack White was still alive and Barry White was long dead.

It's true that Chuck Berry was ancient for a rock and roller but truth be told the majority of the most important rock musicians were born in the 1940s or 1950s and haven't had the chance to reach that age yet. I could quite easily see guys like Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, Brian Eno and others reaching their 90s (although I've probably just cursed them all by saying that which means they'll all be dead within a year).

2017 has still taken a lot of important names, both in music and outside it. It seems that this year it's been about the more minor heroes of rock - everyone from John Wetton to Grant Hart to Holger Czukay to Allan Holdsworth to Walter Becker - plus a couple of high profile rock suicides like Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, as well as some not unexpected deaths like Chuck Berry and Glen Campbell and Duane Allman.

And let's not forget that 2017 is far from over just yet. Still three and a half months to go.

How are we even quantifying 'bigger year?' More DDP hits? More DL hits? If it's just big names, no - the music angle's already been mentioned, and in terms of film 2016 had both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, one of whom was a main character in one of the biggest sci fi movies ever. Unless something drastic happens, nope.

20 minutes ago, Weebl said:

Who's White? Just not registering right now. Last time I checked Jack White was still alive and Barry White was long dead.

Maurice White.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Weebl said:

It's true that Chuck Berry was ancient for a rock and roller but truth be told the majority of the most important rock musicians were born in the 1940s or 1950s and haven't had the chance to reach that age yet. I could quite easily see guys like Peter Gabriel, Steve Winwood, Brian Eno and others reaching their 90s (although I've probably just cursed them all by saying that which means they'll all be dead within a year).

2017 has still taken a lot of important names, both in music and outside it. It seems that this year it's been about the more minor heroes of rock - everyone from John Wetton to Grant Hart to Holger Czukay to Allan Holdsworth to Walter Becker - plus a couple of high profile rock suicides like Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington, as well as some not unexpected deaths like Chuck Berry and Glen Campbell and Duane Allman.

And let's not forget that 2017 is far from over just yet. Still three and a half months to go.

Gregg Allman.

• Like 2

On 9/17/2017 at 17:08, drol said:

Gregg Allman.

Thanks, my mistake!

I also should have mentioned J. Geils as one of the more minor heroes of rock we lost this year

I think that it is quite safe to say that this year will take the lead. Especially as there has been a September hat trick, enabled by today's double whammy!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Starkadder said:

I think that it is quite safe to say that this year will take the lead. Especially as there has been a September hat trick, enabled by today's double whammy!

How are things at Cold Comfort Farm?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

How are things at Cold Comfort Farm?

Comfortable but cold.

After a day of scranletting down in Ticklepenny Corner, I thought I would join the good folk on here by becoming a member.

• Like 2

Why, oh why no Helmut Kohl?? Would and should have been celebrating today.....equalling the record with a double day.

56 minutes ago, Starkadder said:

Comfortable but cold.

After a day of scranletting down in Ticklepenny Corner, I thought I would join the good folk on here by becoming a member.

Careful around that woodshed, now.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ImissMontpellier said:

Unless the Queen, a former US president or First Lady, a Pope die, NO.

First Ladies?  Nah.

Lol at the people who thought I was talking about the list instead of the entire year in general, which in hindsight, was a shit idea in the first place...

6 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Lol at the people who thought I was talking about the list instead of the entire year in general, which in hindsight, was a shit idea in the first place...

2017 has fewer days than 2016, so maybe not as big. Was that the kind of answer you had hoped for?

• Like 1