Sign in to follow this  
Africa7777

Norman Lloyd

On 08/11/2020 at 00:31, Lafaucheuse said:

Happy birthday to one of the last remaining giant from golden age ! Won’t be included in next year list because he isn’t famous enough, is he ? 

If Bill Gates father was included on the list, so could definitly Lloyd be on the list

• Like 1

I'm normally against old for being old types being on DL.

However, Norman Lloyd is one of the few centenarians who qualifies in my opinion. Marsha Hunt, Nehemiah Persoff and Clarissa Eden are three others... and Prince Philip will be a fifth, assuming he makes his centenary.

This year saw quite a wipeout from the prominent names aged 100+, de Havilland, Lynn and Douglas included. Makes sense to replace them with a few others. I would resist adding Eden for 2021. No idea where Hunt's health is at the moment. Lloyd has gone unusually quiet, only granting a telephone interview near the start of the pandemic to say he's doing fine. Persoff looks frail to me. 1-2 years max left in him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I'm normally against old for being old types being on DL.

However, Norman Lloyd is one of the few centenarians who qualifies in my opinion. Marsha Hunt, Nehemiah Persoff and Clarissa Eden are three others... and Prince Philip will be a fifth, assuming he makes his centenary.

This year saw quite a wipeout from the prominent names aged 100+, de Havilland, Lynn and Douglas included. Makes sense to replace them with a few others. I would resist adding Eden for 2021. No idea where Hunt's health is at the moment. Lloyd has gone unusually quiet, only granting a telephone interview near the start of the pandemic to say he's doing fine. Persoff looks frail to me. 1-2 years max left in him.

Persoff had a nasty stroke which ended his full time career. This was in 1989. He's made of stern stuff.

James Lovelock qualifies in my book but imo if they wanted him they'd have picked him by now.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2020 at 11:59, arghton said:

Didn't find any pictures of him on his birthday.

Norman Lloyd

Here is one (the one on the left btw)

1 minute ago, roaming_comrade said:

Norman Lloyd

Here is one (the one on the left btw)

Is he somehow related to the other breathing corpse, Prince Philip?

Always such a shame when a full life isn't lived. RIP Norman

• Like 1

RIP.  I think he was as famous for working on the production/associate producer side of things as much as the acting.  Produced a fair amount of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

i can remember watching one made in 1957 where he played a detective and I’d had never have guessed he had lived another 64 years!  

So the oldest actor of the golden age of Hollywood is gone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The only actor that  worked with both Alfred Hitchcock and Judd Apatow

8 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

The only actor that  worked with both Alfred Hitchcock and Judd Apatow

William Shatner, Peter Falk, Rip Torn, Burt Reynolds and Wayne Rogers were all in both "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and "The Larry Sanders Show"

• Thanks 1

He might a good "Six degrees of separation" answer in the future though, considering that that Apatow movie had some young, and very young actors.

However, it's likely none of us are going to live long enough to enjoy these connections. You know, like nobody was interested in President Tyler's grandsons until recently.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

He might a good "Six degrees of separation" answer in the future though, considering that that Apatow movie had some young, and very young actors.

However, it's likely none of us are going to live long enough to enjoy these connections. You know, like nobody was interested in President Tyler's grandsons until recently.

https://oracleofbacon.org/center_list.php

Weirdly, he doesn't make the top 1,000 for "centre of the Hollywood universe" names. 

19 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

https://oracleofbacon.org/center_list.php

Weirdly, he doesn't make the top 1,000 for "centre of the Hollywood universe" names. 

That's an interesting concept. I've always thought that for music, Brian Eno would be close to the centre - certainly for me.

For Norman Lloyd, I guess those young actors first need to build a career. One or two more generations, and those Bacon numbers for the current list might increase.

Interestingly though, Christopher Lee's career covers almost exactly the same time as Norman Lloyd. And he is in the database.

36 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

That's an interesting concept. I've always thought that for music, Brian Eno would be close to the centre - certainly for me.

For Norman Lloyd, I guess those young actors first need to build a career. One or two more generations, and those Bacon numbers for the current list might increase.

Interestingly though, Christopher Lee's career covers almost exactly the same time as Norman Lloyd. And he is in the database.

What’s the concept exactly ? I didn’t get it 

Can Usher sing "Gone Too Soon" at his funeral?

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

What’s the concept exactly ? I didn’t get it 

You know the Kevin Bacon game? How quickly you can get from any actor to Kevin Bacon just by going through who they're in films with (ie: Marilyn Monroe was in Some Like It Hot with Jack Lemmon who was in JFK was Kevin Bacon. Marilyn Monroe has a Bacon number of 2, whereas Lemmon has a Bacon number of 1). This tries to work out the actor with the lowest average number for the entirety of Hollywood if you replace Kevin Bacon with them. So Christopher Lee is the most "connected" actor in history.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

You know the Kevin Bacon game? How quickly you can get from any actor to Kevin Bacon just by going through who they're in films with (ie: Marilyn Monroe was in Some Like It Hot with Jack Lemmon who was in JFK was Kevin Bacon. Marilyn Monroe has a Bacon number of 2, whereas Lemmon has a Bacon number of 1). This tries to work out the actor with the lowest average number for the entirety of Hollywood if you replace Kevin Bacon with them. So Christopher Lee is the most "connected" actor in history.

Oh interesting ! Didn’t think it would be Christopher Lee ! Thanks for the explanation 

Utter failure. Just 4 years away from 1 1 0 and he blew it. :( :( :(

Turns out his daughter died last year

• Like 1