Joey Russ

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Predictions

Yes, I know, everyone knows by now that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a big joke and not something to be taken seriously (like the Oscars nowadays). However, since I'm feeling bored and have nothing else to do at the moment, I thought it would be interesting to predict who might get inducted into this bullshit hall of fame this year and who probably won't make it this year. The list of this year's nominees are:

Bon Jovi

Kate Bush

The Cars

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Eurythmics 

The J Geils Band

Judas Priest

LL Cool J

MC5

The Meters

The Moody Blues

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machine

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

Nina Simone

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Link Wray

The Zombies

Immediately, Radiohead comes into my head as a shoo in this year due to their massive critical acclaim and name recognition, but considering what the Hall of Fame inducts for the most part, which other artists will likely join Radiohead into the museum. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

FTFY

1 minute ago, Toast said:

FTFY

Aye, always good to have double check their spelling.

Radiohead,  (maybe) J Geils Band, Moody Blues, Judas Priest, and Dire Straits are the ones I can see happening. Those are the ones I most enjoy off the nominees. Bon Jovi too, but they suck so hopefully we can forget about them (although it's more than likely going to happen)

Judas Priest, J Geils band, Radiohead, Nina Simone, LL Cool J

Well, J Geils Band is on the list for the fifth time, and unlike many of the other acts on the list, while they are known for some of their songs, they just don't stand the test the time as well as, say, The Cars or Dire Straits.

Moody Blues are a very interesting case. They have a large enough of a cult following that they're probably going to make it on the fan ballot. The top 5 right now are Bon Jovi (groan), Dire Straits, Moody Blues, The Cars, and Eurythmics. Of course, that only accounts for 1 of over 900 ballots from the music industry, but in recent years, they have been inducting more prog rock bands into the hall of fame, so we'll see.

Judas Priest won't get in due to the fact that they are a metal band. To date, only two metal bands got in to date: Black Sabbath and Metallica, and given that it's their first time on the ballot, I think it's not likely for them to get inducted this year. I think they will get in eventually though.

Dire Straits is a pick I could see getting in this year. The problem with them is that they don't have much critical acclaim compared to other acts on this list, but in recent years, Steve Miller and Journey got inducted, so I think Dire Straits can follow suit, but it's going up against tough competition.

Bon Jovi, well, will runaway with the lead vote on the fan ballot this year, and that will probably boost their chances to get inducted, but they have been critics of the industry in the past, so I think it'll be interesting to see if the committee are supportive enough for him this year.

As for my own prediction, Radiohead is a lock. There's almost no way they won't get on their first year especially because of their influence on today's culture. I mean, The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A are all albums that are on multiple best albums of all times list, and since these are the same critics who choose the inductees...

I think the closest to a lock besides Radiohead is The Cars for the following reasons: a. They fit the classic rock mold that most of the inductees have, and b. This is the third year in a row that they are on the ballot. I certainly wouldn't complain about them getting, though it makes me sad on why Big Star hasn't been considered yet. (It's because the hall of fame is a joke)

Then you got two popular feminine performers, Nina Simone and Annie Lennox of Eurythmics. Both of these have been mentioned by name in pop culture recently, and given the lack of female performers in the hall of fame, at least one of them is bound for the hall of fame this year. Of course, Eurythmics has the disadvantage of synths being an important part of their music, but I still think they have a big chance to get in. 

The last act that hasn't been mentioned that I think have a legitimate shot of making it in is The Zombies. A great psychedelic pop, I think they fit the mold of someone that they would typically induct even though they aren't classic rock, but they may have a big enough of a cult to get in eventually. This may not be their year though because of the aforementioned Moody Blues, and they seem to have a bigger following than The Zombies, so maybe next year for the Z's

So, my guess for this year is:

Radiohead

The Cars

Eurythmics 

Nina Simone

Moody Blues

One of Dire Straits/Bon Jovi

Thinking they may induct 6 this year like last year...

Radiohead are mostly a pile of pretentious wank.  Definitely on my list of over-rated bollocks. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Radiohead are mostly a pile of pretentious wank.  Definitely on my list of over-rated bollocks. 

Thank fuck for that. I thought I was the only one.

• Like 1

How were Link Wray, Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe not inducted long ago?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

How were Link Wray, Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta Tharpe not inducted long ago?

Because the R&R HoF is a senseless piece of twattery.

• Like 3

Ben E King, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Motorhead, Willie Nelson and Dick Dale, to name but a few, aren't in the hall of fame.

Green Day are.

Exactly why they are a joke. While I think they are starting to look at prog a little bit more than they had in the past, there was no reason for Deep Purple to wait for induction until 2016 and Yes waiting for induction until 2017. Outside of prog, there are still plenty of names that should be inducted, but aren't because there's rumors to be some lobbying for certain music acts, particularly, The Monkees, which despite not originally knowing how to play their instruments, I still enjoy and since they've shown talent in their later years, they should be inducted, but they probably won't because Rolling Stone founder Jann Wenner hates them. Other acts besides msc's list that should've been inducted but aren't include the aforementioned Big Star, Badfinger, Roxy Music, Televison, Joy Division, Kraftwerk, T Rex, and Warren Zevon, and there's lots more who haven't been inducted as well. Along with prog, they love to hate on metal and music primarily based on synths, which is why Judas Priest and Depeche Mode aren't making it in this year. 

So yeah, this is why you shouldn't take it seriously, as I mentioned in the first post...

Zevon should be in, not solely for My Shits Fucked Up, but especially. That's a brilliant song. Such a fine song about dying, in fact, that his body agreed and swiftly developed terminal cancer to fit the song...

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Kate Bush

Judas Priest

Rage Against The Machine

Nina Simone

Link Wray

To answer your question, that's how I'd induct if I had to stick to their list. I've no doubts Radiohead and Bon Jovi will go in, well ahead of better and more important names.

5 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Because only one of them is rock (Link Wray). Nina Simone is a blues artists and Sister Rosetta is a gospel singer.

So even if they want to include theses two women, they should put them in the Early Influence category.

The whole thing is just stupid.

Let's see what we have here...

Radiohead is a lock.

The Moody Blues, The Cars and The Zombies will get in on account of the Hall's obvious hard-on for anything 60's/70's-related. (the Paul Butterfield Blues Freaking Band anyone?)

RatM is the perfect political pick at the moment, so I doubt they'll let that slip in.

Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta are WTF picks in the sense that they have no business being in a ROCK hall of fame,  in the category of PERFORMERS nonetheless. As great as these two wonderful women are, they never made a single rock record in their lives. But expect one of them to get in as the mandatory "female pick" who has nothing to do with ROCK (Joan Baez, I'm looking at you).

J. Geils Band is the perfect sentimental induction that the Hall is so fond of. They might get in. (bring tissues!)

Bon Jovi is like the Eagles, loved by the people and hated by the critics. Their chances are 50/50

Rufus and the Meters are long overdue. Chaka Khan too, but sadly she's not part of the ballot this time. I hate to play the race card, but I''ll just go full Spike Lee on this one (and another big one, further down the list)

Link Wray is the definitive "guitarist's guitarist". Completely (and rightfully) adored by critics and artists for his huge contributions to the most important instrument in the genre (popularizing the power chord and a heavier, ominous sound on the guitar), yet obscure and only known by a small niche of connoisseurs. (The complete opposite of Bon Jovi, if you want) 

Dire Straits have a respected name in Knopfler, and Eurythmics have one in Lennox, but both suffer from being so 80's-related (a freaking CRIME in the eyes of the Hall). Most importantly, both of their peaks were slim and sporadic and that can hurt their chances

Kate Bush....sigh...

The MC5 are important in developing proto-punk, and have a groundbreaking live album as well. They have their chances.

Judas Priest HAVE to get in just to fix the Hall's injustified BIAS toward ANYTHING Metal. Like Joey Russ said, 2 metal bands in more than 30 years is a joke, especially compared to the 655485147 bands from the 60's. Like most metal stars they have very little in the way of crossover songs to make them more familiar to the mainstream and indicates to voters an appeal to notoriously loyal metal fans only. Unfair perception maybe, but true.

NOW, on to the big question:

HOW THE FUCK IS LL COOL J NOT IN YET?!

The most dominant solo star in rap's first 15 years, LL Cool J was among those most responsible for bringing the style from the fringes of music to the mainstream. His role as rap's first sex symbol and setting much of the fashion trends and style of hip-hop were vital in ensuring its growth, but it was his rapping skills themselves that pushed the envelope at the time. He was rap's first successful solo artists, setting the trend for Pac, Biggie and the others to follow. and yet, he has to BEG the Hall to get in in what is now his 4th try, while the freaking Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Laura Nyro (yes, THAT Laura Nyro) roam free there. It's just infuriating.

Hey look! Statistics!

Since 1997 in fact, 69 percent of the nominees and a staggering 75 percent of the inductees are white. The overall rates since the Hall opened its doors in 1986 are equally disturbing. Fifty-three percent of the total nominees are white, which is reasonably fair, but 63% of the inductees are white, meaning they have a ten percent increased likelihood of getting in, a staggering number in statistical probability terms. By contrast black artists see a ten percent drop in their chances from nomination to induction, despite being nominated less to start with. This is for a music INVENTED BY BLACKS FOR BLACK AUDIENCES and whose stylistic evolutions within the field, including soul, funk, disco and hip-hop, are among the most far-reaching, popular and influential of rock's many subgenres. Somehow the Hall of Fame forgot that minor fact. 

The Hall refuses to publicly admit to its many sins, such as the stagnant nominating committee which is made up almost exclusively of white males with an average age now in their mid sixties whose selections disproportionately reflect that background long after their era has passed. Or the demographic one-sidedness of the voting body, which resembles the Aryan nation, and the resulting lack of cultural awareness of the many forms of black dominated rock 'n' roll, including disco, funk, Philly Soul and hip-hop, who routinely get passed over in favor of far less successful and less influential fifth tier white acts. 

So what I hope for is: LL Cool J - Radiohead - The Meters - Link Wray - Rufus and Chaka Khan - Judas Priest

but what would happen will probably look something like: Radiohead - RatM - some 60's/70's 5th tier white band (choose your pick) - An undeserving female outsider - another 60's/70's 5th tier white band (again, choose your pick) - J Geils Band (don't hold your tears!)

Just where THE HELL is Robert Mugabe when you need him?!!!!

PS: Chic was nominated for the ELEVENTH time in 2017, and just when I expected them to easily get in this year, THEY ARE NOT EVEN ON THE BALLOT. Apparently, they didn't stand a chance against the universal acclaim and almost God-like musical influence of Kate Freakin' Bush.

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Yes, I know, everyone knows by now that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a big joke and not something to be taken seriously (like the Oscars nowadays). However, since I'm feeling bored and have nothing else to do at the moment, I thought it would be interesting to predict who might get inducted into this bullshit hall of fame this year and who probably won't make it this year. The list of this year's nominees are:

Bon Jovi

Kate Bush

The Cars

Depeche Mode

Dire Straits

Eurythmics 

The J Geils Band

Judas Priest

LL Cool J

MC5

The Meters

The Moody Blues

Radiohead

Rage Against The Machine

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan

Nina Simone

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

Link Wray

The Zombies

Immediately, Radiohead comes into my head as a shoo in this year due to their massive critical acclaim and name recognition, but considering what the Hall of Fame inducts for the most part, which other artists will likely join Radiohead into the museum. 

Meatloaf 

3 hours ago, Pampams said:

Meatloaf 

He’s not on the list. 

8 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Because only one of them is rock (Link Wray). Nina Simone is a blues artists and Sister Rosetta is a gospel singer.

So even if they want to include theses two women, they should put them in the Early Influence category.

The whole thing is just stupid.

Well, here’s the thing, many people who are actually inducted aren’t really rock musicians. They have started to induct people from genres such as hip hop and they always have a taste for soul music up to the first year. I do agree with you that Sister Rosetta Tharpe should be an early influence mainly because she doesn’t stand a chance compared to the other artists on the list. Nina Simone, on the other hand, definitely deserves to be inducted soon cause she’s such a talented artist in the first place...

It should be renamed something like Popular Music* Hall Of Fame.

(*which is not the same thing as pop music)

Tears at how they bent over backwards for years to keep The Monkees out because they're "not rock 'n' roll", but as soon as the media profile drops they make massed allowances for letting any vaguely popular act from 1978-onwards in.

• Like 2

If you vote you can see the status of the current voting. There needs to be a massive influx of votes for Kate Bush. If there was a UK version she would be one of the first just behind Beatles, Stones, Bowie & Queen.

51 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

If there was a UK version

Somebody should start one.

There was, can't believe you've forgotten Channel 4's UK Music Hall of Fame ceremonies from 2004-2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Music_Hall_of_Fame

George Martin received an honorary membership (inducted by the then British Chancellor of the Exchequer and future Prime Minister Gordon Brown). He then went on to conduct a special arrangement of The Beatles songs "Golden Slumbers" / "Carry That Weight" / "The End"; with the help of Johnny Borrell, Corinne Bailey Rae, José González, Roger Taylor and the London Community Gospel Choir. 

Fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, here’s the thing, many people who are actually inducted aren’t really rock musicians. They have started to induct people from genres such as hip hop and they always have a taste for soul music up to the first year. I do agree with you that Sister Rosetta Tharpe should be an early influence mainly because she doesn’t stand a chance compared to the other artists on the list. Nina Simone, on the other hand, definitely deserves to be inducted soon cause she’s such a talented artist in the first place...

That's one of the saddest things I have ever read on this forum (and it's a forum dedicated to death, guys!!)

Look, soul and hip-hop are 100%, irrefutable subgenres of rock. Not only that, but they are one the MAIN subgenres of rock and roll. Stylistically, historically and musically speaking, NWA and Marvin Gaye are AS ROCK as your Zeppelins and your Hendrixes. It doesn't always have to be white guys with loud guitars to be considered rock!! (I'm not accusing you of anything here, but you can't define rock the way YOU want Joey!).

As for Nina Simone, it doesn't matter if she is talented or not, that's not really the issue here. The issue is that she never made a rock record in her lifetime and it's really an insult to her legacy to include her in a Hall that celebrates a genre she had nothing to do with.

PS: Rap as a subgenre is much closer to the music of Chuck Berry and Fats Domino and other "roots of rock" than something like grunge, keep that in mind.

• Like 1