Joey Russ

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Predictions

22 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

There was, can't believe you've forgotten Channel 4's UK Music Hall of Fame ceremonies from 2004-2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Music_Hall_of_Fame

Fantastic.

Well I didn't know that. Kate didn't even get a mention but the scope was too broad. Her stock has risen considerably in recent years. 

4 minutes ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Look, soul and hip-hop are 100%, irrefutable subgenres of rock. Not only that, but they are one the MAIN subgenres of rock and roll. Stylistically, historically and musically speaking, NWA and Marvin Gaye are AS ROCK as your Zeppelins and your Hendrixes. It doesn't always have to be white guys with loud guitars to be considered rock!! (I'm not accusing you of anything here, but you can't define rock the way YOU want Joey!).

As for Nina Simone, it doesn't matter if she is talented or not, that's not really the issue here. The issue is that she never made a rock record in her lifetime and it's really an insult to her legacy to include her in a Hall that celebrates a genre she had nothing to do with.

Let’s take a look at what genres Wikipedia has for Nina Simone, shall we?

Genres

I hate to brake it to you, but your slightly contradicting yourself there when you say Nina Simone isn’t rock...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Genres

I hate to brake it to you, but your slightly contradicting yourself there when you say Nina Simone isn’t rock...

Wikipedia?

Really, man. Really?!

and by the way only TWO of these seven subgenres mentioned there are related to rock, so that's not really helping you. The vast majority of her input falls outside the genre's scope. Should they include Johnny Cash too because he made ONE rock song in his lifetime. Oh wait...They did!!!

Like I said I am almost positive that she will get in. On the account that she and RatM are the perfect political picks that the Hall is fond of. Expect a long, touching speech full of allusions to the current political standpoint, expect tears and cheers, but that doesn't change the fact that Ms Simone, as great as she is, doesn't belong in a  ROCK AND ROLL Hall of Fame.

11 hours ago, Life Is Beautiful said:

Let's see what we have here...

Radiohead is a lock.

The Moody Blues, The Cars and The Zombies will get in on account of the Hall's obvious hard-on for anything 60's/70's-related. (the Paul Butterfield Blues Freaking Band anyone?)

RatM is the perfect political pick at the moment, so I doubt they'll let that slip in.

Nina Simone and Sister Rosetta are WTF picks in the sense that they have no business being in a ROCK hall of fame,  in the category of PERFORMERS nonetheless. As great as these two wonderful women are, they never made a single rock record in their lives. But expect one of them to get in as the mandatory "female pick" who has nothing to do with ROCK (Joan Baez, I'm looking at you).

J. Geils Band is the perfect sentimental induction that the Hall is so fond of. They might get in. (bring tissues!)

Bon Jovi is like the Eagles, loved by the people and hated by the critics. Their chances are 50/50

Rufus and the Meters are long overdue. Chaka Khan too, but sadly she's not part of the ballot this time. I hate to play the race card, but I''ll just go full Spike Lee on this one (and another big one, further down the list)

Link Wray is the definitive "guitarist's guitarist". Completely (and rightfully) adored by critics and artists for his huge contributions to the most important instrument in the genre (popularizing the power chord and a heavier, ominous sound on the guitar), yet obscure and only known by a small niche of connoisseurs. (The complete opposite of Bon Jovi, if you want) 

Dire Straits have a respected name in Knopfler, and Eurythmics have one in Lennox, but both suffer from being so 80's-related (a freaking CRIME in the eyes of the Hall). Most importantly, both of their peaks were slim and sporadic and that can hurt their chances

Kate Bush....sigh...

The MC5 are important in developing proto-punk, and have a groundbreaking live album as well. They have their chances.

Judas Priest HAVE to get in just to fix the Hall's injustified BIAS toward ANYTHING Metal. Like Joey Russ said, 2 metal bands in more than 30 years is a joke, especially compared to the 655485147 bands from the 60's. Like most metal stars they have very little in the way of crossover songs to make them more familiar to the mainstream and indicates to voters an appeal to notoriously loyal metal fans only. Unfair perception maybe, but true.

NOW, on to the big question:

HOW THE FUCK IS LL COOL J NOT IN YET?!

The most dominant solo star in rap's first 15 years, LL Cool J was among those most responsible for bringing the style from the fringes of music to the mainstream. His role as rap's first sex symbol and setting much of the fashion trends and style of hip-hop were vital in ensuring its growth, but it was his rapping skills themselves that pushed the envelope at the time. He was rap's first successful solo artists, setting the trend for Pac, Biggie and the others to follow. and yet, he has to BEG the Hall to get in in what is now his 4th try, while the freaking Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Laura Nyro (yes, THAT Laura Nyro) roam free there. It's just infuriating.

Hey look! Statistics!

Since 1997 in fact, 69 percent of the nominees and a staggering 75 percent of the inductees are white. The overall rates since the Hall opened its doors in 1986 are equally disturbing. Fifty-three percent of the total nominees are white, which is reasonably fair, but 63% of the inductees are white, meaning they have a ten percent increased likelihood of getting in, a staggering number in statistical probability terms. By contrast black artists see a ten percent drop in their chances from nomination to induction, despite being nominated less to start with. This is for a music INVENTED BY BLACKS FOR BLACK AUDIENCES and whose stylistic evolutions within the field, including soul, funk, disco and hip-hop, are among the most far-reaching, popular and influential of rock's many subgenres. Somehow the Hall of Fame forgot that minor fact. 

The Hall refuses to publicly admit to its many sins, such as the stagnant nominating committee which is made up almost exclusively of white males with an average age now in their mid sixties whose selections disproportionately reflect that background long after their era has passed. Or the demographic one-sidedness of the voting body, which resembles the Aryan nation, and the resulting lack of cultural awareness of the many forms of black dominated rock 'n' roll, including disco, funk, Philly Soul and hip-hop, who routinely get passed over in favor of far less successful and less influential fifth tier white acts. 

So what I hope for is: LL Cool J - Radiohead - The Meters - Link Wray - Rufus and Chaka Khan - Judas Priest

but what would happen will probably look something like: Radiohead - RatM - some 60's/70's 5th tier white band (choose your pick) - An undeserving female outsider - another 60's/70's 5th tier white band (again, choose your pick) - J Geils Band (don't hold your tears!)

Just where THE HELL is Robert Mugabe when you need him?!!!!

PS: Chic was nominated for the ELEVENTH time in 2017, and just when I expected them to easily get in this year, THEY ARE NOT EVEN ON THE BALLOT. Apparently, they didn't stand a chance against the universal acclaim and almost God-like musical influence of Kate Freakin' Bush.

Fuck me - hope there was nothing worthwhile reading hidden amongst that lot!

Basket Case!

Edit: The maxi CD was the first music purchase I ever did - and the third CD I owned, after some Euro Dance trash and M&J Jackson's Scream.

7 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Genres

*Break. 

Also, as a massive sparks fan, I can't understand why they haven't been inducted.  They have influenced soooo many other artists. 

8 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

*Break. 

Also, as a massive sparks fan, I can't understand why they haven't been inducted.  They have influenced soooo many other artists. 

Maybe the Hall of Fame isn't big enough for the both of them...

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:
19 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

*Break. 

Maybe the Hall of Fame isn't big enough for the both of them...

I'd say having the Number One song in Heaven trumps the RnR HoF.

• Like 1

Believe it or not, I actually discovered Sparks by a YouTube channel while I randomly searched all Beatles songs ranked. They are his second favorite group after, you’ve guessed it, The Beatles. From my own personal listening experience from listening to Sparks, I got to say that they are certainly one of the most diverse groups I’ve listened to, and one I should discover more of their stuff than I already have, which was great imo.

8 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Fuck me - hope there was nothing worthwhile reading hidden amongst that lot!

If this was a detailed breakdown of the current health issues of 50 famous UK nonagerians and centenarians with personal and random predictions about their death, 49 of which time will prove to be wrong,  you'd be reading the living (and dying) shit of that :)

But don't worry, there wasn't, atleast not for you.

Can we just review the significant impact of Kate Bush and the influence she had.

First female artist to have a self penned number one single.

First solo female artist to have a number one album.

The one tour she did do was doing things that Madonna was acclaimed for 5 years later.

and on the subject of the Eurythmics the song writing of Lennox & Stewart have produced more hits than any other excepting Lennon & McCartney. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

and on the subject of the Eurythmics the song writing of Lennox & Stewart have produced more hits than any other excepting Lennon & McCartney. 

What, even the Gibb brothers?  :o

1 hour ago, Toast said:

What, even the Gibb brothers?  :o

There is a missing word "Duo"

Whoops. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Can we just review the significant impact of Kate Bush and the influence she had.

First female artist to have a self penned number one single.

First solo female artist to have a number one album.

The one tour she did do was doing things that Madonna was acclaimed for 5 years later.

UK, Bibliogryphon, the missing key here is UK!

And for the record, you mentioned "impact" and "influence" but what you are describing here is "popularity", which is what singles are for. In a perfect world, an artist like Kate Bush would have no business visiting the Hall without a ticket while LL Cool J, The Meters, Chic, The Clovers and other much, much more historically significant artists aren't there yet, but that's the Hall for ya.

Your last sentence is all kinds of distressing (not to mention TOTALLY WRONG!) it literally gave me physical pain. It just hurts to read that.

Man, ask a 100 people on the streets of London who they've heard of: Kate bush or The Clovers.

• Thanks 1

I’ve heard of Kate Bush and listened to some of her music before (though she’s not one of my favorite artists tbh). I can’t say the same thing about The Clovers at all (seriously, who are they?). 

• Like 1

Ah, but play 100 people on the street "Wuthering Heights" and "Love Potion No. 9" and the results would be different.

• Thanks 1

Ah yes, I do recognize that song from the clovers. Is one popular song really enough of a reason to induct them though? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Man, ask a 100 people on the streets of London who they've heard of: Kate bush or The Clovers.

Yes, Kate Bush is more popular than the Clovers, and so are Celine Dion, Barry Manilow and the Backstreet Boys. Shall we put them in the Hall too?

The Clovers were the first rock vocal group of note, they've had like 15 Top Ten hits in the early to mid-50's. Most importantly, they set the model that most other vocal groups followed and were the biggest group of their era. They're a dominant force in rock's evolution and one of the Hall of Fame's most indefensible exclusions.

^ Yeah, I know who they are!

So what I'm getting from the forum last few days is there's a whole bunch of heathens that don't like Kate Bush or Meatloaf. Hah.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

So what I'm getting from the forum last few days is there's a whole bunch of heathens that don't like Kate Bush or Meatloaf. Hah.

Well, I don't hate Kate Bush. It's just that in comparison to the other artists that I listened to in the past, she doesn't match up to them in my opinion. But that's just my own personal opinion, of course. Not like anybody really give a shit on what music you like and what music you hate, though some people music taste are just sad...

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, I don't hate Kate Bush. It's just that in comparison to the other artists that I listened to in the past, she doesn't match up to them in my opinion. But that's just my own personal opinion, of course. Not like anybody really give a shit on what music you like and what music you hate, though some people music taste are just sad...

Your music taste is your music taste.

The RNR HOF is a bit shit.

I think mostly we are all in agreement here.

• Like 3

Whatever you think of Meatloaf, there is no denying that Bat Out Of Hell is a hugely influential and classic album.  Lyrical genius and a performance that any of today's few decent rock bands would be hard pressed to match. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, msc said:

Wait! Are you telling me that, somewhere, there are people who don't like those exact things you like? Get out of here!

How DARE they!!

Edit: Yes, the Hall IS a bit s**t.