Joey Russ

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Predictions

On 16 January 2020 at 17:44, Paul Bearer said:

FFS. Still no Sparks. 

Again. 

On 10/02/2021 at 10:18, Sir Creep said:

I"m not goofing, I'm totally serious.  I DID think the same thing "Feel A Cutie".  
Oh look someone posting a youtube video as proof of fame.  smh.  I got some Cajun bands for you, you should know them all, after all I can find them on Youtube!

Somebody must’ve pissed off a bunch of Nigerian fans, he’s currently leading in the fan vote!

• Like 1

Well, it’s that time of year where we shit on the rock and roll hall of fame’s nominees. Here’s the list this time: 

• Beck 
  • Pat Benatar
  • Kate Bush
  • DEVO
  • Duran Duran 
  • Eminem 
  • Eurythmics
  • Judas Priest
  • Fela Kuti
  • MC5
  • New York Dolls
  • Dolly Parton 
  • Rage Against The Machine
  • Lionel Richie 
  • Carly Simon 
  • A Tribe Called Quest 
  • Dionne Warwick

It won’t happen but I’m really hoping Fela Kuti and A Tribe Called Quest pulls through this time

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well, it’s that time of year where we shit on the rock and roll hall of fame’s nominees. Here’s the list this time: 

• Beck 
  • Pat Benatar
  • Kate Bush
  • DEVO
  • Duran Duran 
  • Eminem 
  • Eurythmics
  • Judas Priest
  • Fela Kuti
  • MC5
  • New York Dolls
  • Dolly Parton 
  • Lionel Richie 
  • Carly Simon 
  • A Tribe Called Quest 
  • Dionne Warwick

It won’t happen but I’m really hoping Fela Kuti and A Tribe Called Quest pulls through this time

I see a rapper, a country/pop legend, a couple other pop acts, and a pile of mediocre/niche acts.  I have no idea what Fela Kuti or A Tribe Called Quest are.  I it were truly a rock hall, and not the colossal pile of shit it actually is, the only real choices, from this list, would be Pat Benatar, MC5, and possibly Judas Priest.

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

• Beck 
  • Pat Benatar
  • Kate Bush
  • DEVO
  • Duran Duran 
  • Eminem 
  • Eurythmics
  • Judas Priest
  • Fela Kuti
  • MC5
  • New York Dolls
  • Dolly Parton 
  • Lionel Richie 
  • Carly Simon 
  • A Tribe Called Quest 
  • Dionne Warwick

Kate Bush, The eurythmics, Rage Against The Machine and Dolly Parton

I mean, again, it depends on what we're calling the actual metrics of induction on. Fame? "Importance"? How good they were? I'd like to see Benatar inducted, she's been kind of whitewashed a bit from pop history but she was the first queen of MTV, long before Lauper and Madonna. MC5, NYD and RATM are all meme bands. Devo probably should be in as they've stood the test of time from a cultural standpoint, but then we'd have reams of thinkpieces about "Mongoloid" in the music press. Would induct Eminem if the only thing he ever recorded was "Just Don't Give A Fuck," but unfortunately he went on to have a 24-year career after that wherein he produced no other good or remotely listenable songs.

• Like 1

People bitch about the Madonnas and Run DMCs of the world getting into the RRHOF.  After Todd Rundgren - yes that Todd Rundgren with no albums higher than #33 or singles higher than #66 on the Billboard charts - got in last year, I couldn’t have less interest.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

People bitch about the Madonnas and Run DMCs of the world getting into the RRHOF.  After Todd Rundgren - yes that Todd Rundgren with no albums higher than #33 or singles higher than #66 on the Billboard charts - got in last year, I couldn’t have less interest.  

We've been over this before though - if you're just going to judge it like that, then the HoF should just be decided solely on album sales. Put The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and Michael Jackson in it and tell everyone else to fuck off. You have to have some allowance unless you want to argue that the Velvet Underground have less right to be in it than, idk, Four Non Blondes.

• Like 2

Still no Iron Maiden.

• Like 1

Biggest omissions from the R&R HoF imho:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

We've been over this before though - if you're just going to judge it like that, then the HoF should just be decided solely on album sales. Put The Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and Michael Jackson in it and tell everyone else to fuck off. You have to have some allowance unless you want to argue that the Velvet Underground have less right to be in it than, idk, Four Non Blondes.

Except record sales are only one metric used in Billboard charts.  Airplay, etc.  How about Grammy awards?  Rundgren won one in 1985, twenty years into this stellar career, for BEST VIDEO (ie not the music).  Talk about them doing all they could for lifetime achievement glad-handing.

Underground/Indy etc have charts that compare apples to apples (dance charts, college charts, etc), so the MJ thing is a red herring.

If we went over this before, it would appear no minds were changed lol.

• Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

The Warren Zevon eponymous  album is outstanding

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

Well as long as Jann Wenner is still alive the Monkees will never get nominated but I think we all knew that 

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

They're waiting for Ry Cooder to sing their eulogy.

And while a lot of this discussion is obviously personal taste/opinion, DICK DALE not being in the HOF is practically a crime. Most of their inductees wouldn't exist without him!

3 minutes ago, RIP Wee Jum said:

The Warren Zevon eponymous  album is outstanding

Zevon is fantastic. If you have the sense of humour to post on this forum and haven't heard Warren Zevon's albums about dying, go find them now. They're brilliant.

16 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Well as long as Jann Wenner is still alive the Monkees will never get nominated but I think we all knew that 

Yeah, I believe there's a similar problem with Zevon, but I can't remember who it is.

10 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

Ahem, Jethro Tull.  They never even get nominated... of course, the hall's loathing of prog is well known.  It took forever for them to include Rush, Yes, and Genesis and that will probably be it from the genre.  Despite being massively successful in their time I don't see Jethro Tull or ELP ever being nominated and a highly influential band, like King Crimson, won't even be thought of as an option.  Of course, punk influencers (New York Dolls) can get nominated because they consider punk to be a valid genre somehow despite it being, almost by definition, talentless and unmusical.

From that list, the one I was pleasantly surprised to see was Beck. I’ve long thought he’s deserved it.

40 minutes ago, Toast said:

Yeah, I believe there's a similar problem with Zevon, but I can't remember who it is.

Wenner hated Zevon and banned him from Rolling Stone for a few years. Apparently there was some sort of backstage fracas when Warren was at the peak of his drinking... I mean, we can't all be as morally upright and with as few skeletons in the closet as Jann Wenner.

• Haha 1

I'd never heard of this Jann Wenner before today but from the little reading since he sounds like a proper cunt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The Monkees

Warren Zevon

War

Dick Dale

Ry Cooder

I think they need to correct the Monkees issue whilst Mickey Dolenz is still alive

It's an overrated pile of old shit run by a closed shop of music industry 'experts' who pat themselves on the back at how clever and inclusive they are when they shoe horn crap into the nominations.

You would, sort of hope that anyone who actually got inducted would tell the committee to fuck off in the same way that people have said 'no thank you' to titles in the New Year honours list.

Not very Rock and Roll..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

FFS. Still no Sparks. :(

Tbf, they don't need a shitty induction to an old boys club to confirm their genius.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

It's an overrated pile of old shit run by a closed shop of music industry 'experts' who pat themselves on the back at how clever and inclusive they are when they shoe horn crap into the nominations.

You would, sort of hope that anyone who actually got inducted would tell the committee to fuck off in the same way that people have said 'no thank you' to titles in the New Year honours list.

Not very Rock and Roll..

The artists permission is not needed. The sex pistols did that but it still went ahead. 

36 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

The artists permission is not needed. The sex pistols did that but it still went ahead. 

Not really the point, is it.

The Sex Pistols thought it was a pile of old wank and the fact that they were put in there anyway doesn't change it.

• Like 3