maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2018

53 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Reet - five minutes looking in the obvious places no Willow report and - therefore - that all important q/o still eludes us. 

Anyone know owt different?

Willow's death is mentioned towards the end of this article, would that count?

1 hour ago, The Dead Cow said:

Willow's death is mentioned towards the end of this article, would that count?

Channel Nine - hell yeah, reputable or at least high profile enough to count. 

Points bonanza duly delivered - MSC's lead is considerable; time for another low-hanging joker to be cashed in and make a real contest of this, eh?

I notice that on the Masterlist.  You have both Jean Barker & Baroness Trumpington as separate entries.  Purely academic as I do not think she will go within the duration of this game.

44 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I notice that on the Masterlist.  You have both Jean Barker & Baroness Trumpington as separate entries.  Purely academic as I do not think she will go within the duration of this game.

Aye, good spot 

Either way - I'll tidy that up

Tbh think I'm with you on that other observation, mind. The baroness was fit enough to guest edit Today on Radio Four over Christmas and our current leader is a mere 560 points shy of a winning score whilst others have a joker with a stated wish to visit Dignitas. 

Looks like this won't be the longest of Deathraces. 

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Looks like this won't be the longest of Deathraces. 

Famous last words! Deathtrudge 2 awaits!  :lol:

I have 4 people on my team who are in the days/weeks rather than months category now (Rae, Lynott, Cryne, McAllister) and even then, I don't rate my chances highly, such is the strong quality of the other teams.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Famous last words! Deathtrudge 2 awaits!  :lol:

I have 4 people on my team who are in the days/weeks rather than months category now (Rae, Lynott, Cryne, McAllister) and even then, I don't rate my chances highly, such is the strong quality of the other teams.

I'd say the plentiful tonnage of those admitting themselves nailed on does suggest we won't still be labouring over obit hunting as the evenings get noticeably longer. Those you've named above along with the likes of Overton being the key to the fast, furious fun we love hereabouts. 

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

I'd say the plentiful tonnage of those admitting themselves nailed on does suggest we won't still be labouring over obit hunting as the evenings get noticeably longer. Those you've named above along with the likes of Overton being the key to the fast, furious fun we love hereabouts. 

And others like Pintek and Anzaki - I don't know exactly when they were diagnosed, so my estimates (circa April) might prove optimistic.

But there's also Vervoort and Clive James, and hell, maybe the whole thing will turn on a Pearl Carr joker.

• Like 1

Yes it's clear to me that a lot of my picks are wasted as they have a good chance of dying by June but they may as well die in 2020 as far as this pool is concerned. More research needed for next year (wtf was I playing at on Christmas Day drinking and relaxing in front of the TV with family!).

I have chances with Kevin McAllister (joker) and also Peter Overton but they need to die after a non msc pick for me to have a chance and most of the rest of my team are just dying people with no clearly defined expiry date.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 10:17, maryportfuncity said:

Summat I'm also wondering assuming there was a Deathrace 2019; maybe we need to amend the Hewlitt rule to take into account the obvious chance that we have deaths between entry deadline and the start. In other words - exempt anyone snuffing it on New Years Eve who was always likely to get a q/o and only apply the Hewlitt rule to those - like Hewlitt - who die so far off the radar that the reporting takes ages. 

And finally 

We want 'em fast and furious and last minute death row mercy is always possible. This year those cases count and we'll have points accordingly assuming there are news reports. But...should 2019 rule them out?

On reflection I would suggest that the Hewlett is amended so that anyone who dies on 31st but is broadcast as dying in the first 7 days of New Year is removed from team and subs come into play - after 7 days Hewlett applies. For example by 1st of Jan we knew about Dudley and Willow so subs would have come into play and makes the Hewlett only apply to real outliers.

Re Death Row - am I right in thinking that no-one actually picked a Death Rower this year? The three below are the only ones scheduled for January 2018 as far as I can see and none are on the Master List.

18 TX Anthony Shore
25 AL Vernon Madison
30 TX William Rayford

33 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

On reflection I would suggest that the Hewlett is amended so that anyone who dies on 31st but is broadcast as dying in the first 7 days of New Year is removed from team and subs come into play - after 7 days Hewlett applies. For example by 1st of Jan we knew about Dudley and Willow so subs would have come into play and makes the Hewlett only apply to real outliers.

Re Death Row - am I right in thinking that no-one actually picked a Death Rower this year? The three below are the only ones scheduled for January 2018 as far as I can see and none are on the Master List.

18 TX Anthony Shore
25 AL Vernon Madison
30 TX William Rayford

A fair point. A reality check it took more than seven days of 2018 for the q/o to appear for Willow; she'd - therefore - score under that suggested amendment. 

Nowt's perfect but I'm seeing your opinions above as very helpful. The danger (though probs slight here) is that we'd have such a cavalcade of carking around New Year that the entire pool would be reduced to people bricking it over whether their obscure low-hangers would get mentioned in the first week of 2019. 

Jessica Falkholt has sadly died. I'm torn on this being a terrible tragedy or a relief that she'll never have to deal with life with her entire immediate family dead and apparently life changing injuries. Poor family.

Anyhow, it is what it is, and that is Deathrace points.

• Sad 1

Yes well done msc and dead cow (and drol). Looks to be between the two of you.

Bill Crider would seal it for The Dead Cow.

So, any single hit before June 10th will win it for me.

This feels like the prime choke position tbh. :lol:

2 hours ago, msc said:

So, any single hit before June 10th will win it for me.

This feels like the prime choke position tbh. :lol:

Prime choke!

You obitable?

6 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Prime choke!

You obitable?

Hahah. Actually at this point I think I would qualify for Deathrace points at the very least (to not do so would be a crushing ego deflation), but hopefully not for some time quite yet. :lol:

Hold the points, Falkholt is alive and all those reports were bullshit.

This and the Malcolm Hebden rumour? Somebody's making up rumours about former soap stars dying!

1 hour ago, drol said:

Hold the points, Falkholt is alive and all those reports were bullshit.

Fuck sake - that's amazing; there really are people out there sicker than us!!!

I'm leaving the points where they are for a day - cos I have a hunch that this is a David Cassidy job and the early reports were pre-emptive of the real deal (I expect to trim the points rather than remove them).

Tbh it was a bit strange seeing the likes of the Mail reporting the removal of life support but the q/o above looked like the real deal.

• Like 2

Bit off topic for this thread but imagine if this happened on 31st December, or particularly last day of any month in The Death List Cup where everything stops at midnight and the results are declared, and you had a valid QO at midnight for someone who wasn't actually dead.

10 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

I'm leaving the points where they are for a day - cos I have a hunch that this is a David Cassidy job and the early reports were pre-emptive of the real deal (I expect to trim the points rather than remove them).

Tbh it was a bit strange seeing the likes of the Mail reporting the removal of life support but the q/o above looked like the real deal.

Tom Petty was another one.  But it wasn't hard to figure out what was going on there.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Bit off topic for this thread but imagine if this happened on 31st December, or particularly last day of any month in The Death List Cup where everything stops at midnight and the results are declared, and you had a valid QO at midnight for someone who wasn't actually dead.

Aye

Good point and one that couldn't be sorted by video technology. Deathrace rules do have an allowance for summat like that, basically once the result is declared the Hewlett memorial rule can't overturn it if an earlier death is obited. Not perfect but functional if you have a dead pool to run. Deathlist Cup might have problems with aggrevied losers stalking the future rounds, or summat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Toast said:

Tom Petty was another one.  But it wasn't hard to figure out what was going on there.

Yeah, he wouldn't back down! Even when he got stood up at the gates of Hell.

Here, the obvious line was there, I went to bed, woke up and no one else had gone for it.