Joey Russ

Advent Avalanche 2017

So that's all 24 spots filled then. 

First off, before I name the two that I was surprised for no one to actually pick, I do have to feel sorry for maryportfuncity, the founder of the MMMDP and the originator of this type of dead pool to miss out. I'm sure you will do a good job of running the deathrace this year though, and I'm definitely excited to participate in another round of that this year. 

Now, onto the two people that I'm surprised that no one picked, both of them are under 50. The first one of which being Vanessa Goodwin. She resigned from parliament at the end of September due to her, and I'm honestly surprised that she is still alive two months later due to the aggressive form of brain cancer that she has. The other person who I was seriously surprised that no one picked was Liam Miller. He was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but the real reason I thought someone would pick him was so that people could potentially avoid another AA Gill scenario last year, if participants of that last year remembered what happened. So, yeah, a tough choice for me, but I'll choose someone before the end of the day...

Alright, I made my decision to go with the Aussie politician, and the main masterlist is now officially up on the first page. Good luck everyone. :) 

4 hours ago, Sean said:

I reckon I have guessed your two.

Was it the same two you guessed they were?

Liam Miller and Kamala 

Sigh. I'm american and completely forgot about British time. Hopefully I won't be so ignorant next year. Was actually looking forward to this pool :( 

7 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Sigh. I'm american and completely forgot about British time. Hopefully I won't be so ignorant next year. Was actually looking forward to this pool :( 

It happens. Sometimes they can come out of realization that you misread the rules accidentally. Of course, the funniest instance I have seen so far have to be Sir Creep missing the 2017 Deathrace due to thinking that the list had to be turned in on the 31st when the last day was actually the 30th, especially since he entered the previous year's deathrace...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

It happens. Sometimes they can come out of realization that you misread the rules accidentally. Of course, the funniest instance I have seen so far have to be Sir Creep missing the 2017 Deathrace due to thinking that the list had to be turned in on the 31st when the last day was actually the 30th, especially since he entered the previous year's deathrace...

Which is a feat worthy of Einstein compared to the reason Pan Breed didn't compete in the 2011 DDP: sending the email to, iirc, DDP2011(at)durbydeadpool(dot)co(dot)uk.

(I'd have finished in the top 20 too!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

So that's all 24 spots filled then. 

First off, before I name the two that I was surprised for no one to actually pick, I do have to feel sorry for maryportfuncity, the founder of the MMMDP and the originator of this type of dead pool to miss out. I'm sure you will do a good job of running the deathrace this year though, and I'm definitely excited to participate in another round of that this year. 

Now, onto the two people that I'm surprised that no one picked, both of them are under 50. The first one of which being Vanessa Goodwin. She resigned from parliament at the end of September due to her, and I'm honestly surprised that she is still alive two months later due to the aggressive form of brain cancer that she has. The other person who I was seriously surprised that no one picked was Liam Miller. He was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, but the real reason I thought someone would pick him was so that people could potentially avoid another AA Gill scenario last year, if participants of that last year remembered what happened. So, yeah, a tough choice for me, but I'll choose someone before the end of the day...

Appreciate the sympathies and they're not required - executive decision after a mare of four days at work to get some sleep last night and not hover over the keyboard as the clock turned over.

Yeah, Liam Miller - might've been tempted that way around midnight had I still been conscious.

On 11/30/2017 at 08:09, Joey Russ said:

Sorted. So that’s 9 spots remaining with 8 hours left to choose your picks. I swear, if two people I’m surprised aren’t picked yet aren’t chosen by any of the remaining 9 people, then it would make a difficult choice for me...

I'm thankful for the multiple reminders. I had this contest on my radar and remembered the deadline but did I bookmark the URL or put its name on some tickler system or calendar? Noooo.

Here is what I think about definitive picks:

1)King Michael: three weeks ago we all believed he was fucked. Though he is still with us he has a great probability of dying before 2018, anyway it does not seem imminent anymore. I'd say he has very good chances.

2)Bob Newhart. Only old and not so much. It would be an incredibly lucky strike to score with him. Very little chances

3)Rabbi Einhorn. Cranky old, but not much more. I'd say little/normal chances, but knowing Spade he'll be dead by tomorrow.

4)Wilson Harris: Incredibly old, but no known illnesses. Lucky strike needed here. Little chances.

5)Ami Brown: She was on her deathbed a month ago. Her hour must be very near. Excellent chances.

6)Carol Channing: Old good health sufferer. Very very lucky strike needed. Little chance.

7)Peter Overton. Oh, terminally ill from May. Very good chances

8)Lucia Hiriart. Old and fat but not in immediate danger. Seems a bit random. Very little chances.

9)Shane McGowan: Always ill but again he is not on the menu this year it seems. Little chances.

10)Nobby Stiles. Yes, he is going away and soon as he is spending his days sleeping in a nursing home for the terminally ill. Very good chances.

11)Naryan Dutt Tiwari: Old and suffered a stroke, but it has been a month since it happened. Still Good Chances.

12)Franco Zeffirelli: Ok, he is ill and old, but not so ill. He made some appearances recently so he seems to be heading for 2018. Little chances.

13)Valerie Harper: Not likely. She has cancer, but is still working. I think December is out of question. Very little chances.

14)Billy Graham. Oh, come on, he is just eternal. Little Chance.

15)Andrew Apostoli: Unknown, but very ill as I can understand. Very good/excellent chances.

16)Johnny Halliday. Very ill but seems a lock for 2018. Medium chances.

17)Leslie Phillips: Oh, he is still alive. How the hell? Medium chances-

18)Patrick Cryne: He has been terminally ill for a long time, but many already wrote his name on 2018 list. Good Chances.

19)Bill Lucas. Just old, but could be a surprise. Little Chance-

20)Leah Bracknell: From a rational point of view she is fucked, but from a yoga/ new age point of view she is perfectly fine. So only Good Chances.

21)Marsha Hunt. Only old, but still fit. Dim chances.

22)Mark E. Smith: He is clearly ill, but not on his deathbed. Discreet chances.

23)Rayya Elias: Same as Leah Bracknell. Good Chances.

24) Quen Elizabeth II. Impossible.

25)Vanessa Goodwin: Yes, really on the clock. Excellent chances.

So it is between Ami Brown, Vanessa Goodwin and Andrew Apostoli. Anyone else would be a surprise, you decide if big or small.

• Like 3

I have a strong feeling that either Norman Lloyd or Herman Wouk will die this month

I remember picking Peter Hall for this last year...so off the radar, blah blah blah. Although I didn't win, suddenly he appeared on a host of DP teams...and did go within the year.

Newhart is just a feeling (cue Bad Manners post), just like Hall was last year. But who knows? I'm not out to win, I'm out to see what happens...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

I have a strong feeling that either Norman Lloyd or Herman Wouk will die this month

Neither of them were picked in the Advent Avalanche though...

Apostoli will near certainly be dead by mid-December, lots of people in the know making "pray for Father Andrew as he prepares for his final journey" type posts on social media.

12 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Apostoli will near certainly be dead by mid-December, lots of people in the know making "pray for Father Andrew as he prepares for his final journey" type posts on social media.

Aye, you definitely have a good pick on your hands for your title defense...

Tbh really hard to call - I'll nab Alice Ducat (b. 1905) on my shadow list. Had I been conscious at midnight it was between her, Bracknell and the needlessly stubborn Anne Hamilton-Byrne for me.

4 hours ago, drol said:

4)Wilson Harris: Incredibly old, but no known illnesses. Lucky strike needed here. Little chances.

Have no clue of his current health status,mainly picked him because he went unpicked in DDP in 2017 and figure he is too big a name to miss in 2018 so I figured to ensure him a spot on the Advent Avalance DDP Team.Given his age though and he looked like this in 2010 , I feel like he is still might have an outside chance to be a hit here

Royal+Investiture+Buckingham+Palace+yCzZ

Small reveal: I think Lucia Hiriart is actually quite ill now. At least that's how I interpreted recent foreign news... my honest opinion, which may still be wrong.

I'm more surprised nobody picked Franco's daughter.

Hmm

So, any reaction from quimreaper about his pick's plans for a live event on 18 Jan?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmm

So, any reaction from quimreaper about his pick's plans for a live event on 18 Jan?

The operative word there.

She's dying and has got a show called 'The Art of Living' coming up. That's risky.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, drol said:

20)Leah Bracknell: From a rational point of view she is fucked...

:lol:

And have you been a MacMillan nurse for long, sir?

• Haha 3

Congrats to Shaun who won with King Michael!

• Like 1

Well done Sean!