msc

The 3rd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2018 edition)

3 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

'most singular'?????????????

Touché :lol:

• Haha 1

It’s looking like the first Crowdsource hit will also be #50 on the list...

THIS LIST NOW MILLER LIGHT

1/50

PA-647208.jpg

9th February 2018

Footballer Liam Miller has sadly died of cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist a melancholic first hit of the year. Miller burst onto the scene for Celtic in 2000, but it was in the 2003-4 season he made his mark on and off the pitch. On the pitch, with a series of dazzling performances at home and in Europe (capped with great goals against Anderlecht and Lyon) which had fans and pundits talking. Off the pitch, when he decided to sign a pre-contract with Manchester United. The dream move possibly coming far too soon, Miller never lived up to his bright potential, and in 2005, he moved to play for Sunderland. Poor sod, that's practically worse than having cancer. He was part of the Irish side which ought to have qualified for the 2006 World Cup. It was announced last November that Miller was suffering from pancreatic cancer, and eagle eyed deadpoolers spotted the usually stoic Martin O'Neill on the verge of tears talking about how bad the condition was. So here he is in 45th place on his Crowdsourced debut, and dead at the age of 36.

• Like 1

Now that the opposition leader in Zimbabwe has died the crowdsourced deathlist now has two hits and is ahead of the official committees list. 

• Thanks 1

TSVANGIR-DIED

2/50

skynews-morgan-tsvangirai-zimbabwe_41562

14th February 2018

Zimbabwean politician Morgan Tsvangirai has died from cancer to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Tsvangirai became known to western audiences when he became leader of the opposition in Zimbabwe, not really a job which promises great health security. He contested the 2002 and 2008 Presidential elections, and there was the great controversy when it looked like he had actually beaten Mugabe in 2008 (certainly, he appeared to have the popular vote). Tsvangirai became Prime Minister in 2009, in a move which angered the South African variation of the Bernie Bros, and he never did get to the Presidency, though he lived to see Mugabe deposed. Rumours have been circulating for some time about his health, which saw many doubters (hi!) and an omission from this years Deathlist. However, he has proven his doubters wrong here by comprehensively dying aged 65 of cancer. Zimbabwe's political future appears to be in the hands of a crocodile.

• Like 1

GRAHAM GIVES UP THE (HOLY) GHOST

3/50

800px-Billy_Graham_bw_photo,_April_11,_1

21st February 2018

God has finally acquiesced to popular demand, and made Rev Billy Graham a new house guest, and another success for the Crowdsourced Deathlist. A few months off his centenary, Graham was a trailblazer in the American God industry. While other evangelical preachers shouted loudly about hellfire and damnation, Billy Graham spoke softly and quietly... about hellfire and damnation. He became friendly with every US President from Truman on, and gave advice on the Vietnam War. His ministry moved into countries all over the world, and he sold out the likes of Wembley arena. While he held deeply ingrained views against communists, gay people and Jews, Graham did surprise the KKK with a conversion in his 40s against segregation, insisting his services be desegregated and becoming a good, if strained, friend of Martin Luther King. This was Billy Graham's third appearance on the Crowdsourced Deathlist.

• Like 3

Oh drat it would have been a third hit for the crowdsourced deathlist if we had collectively voted to have kept Nanette Fabray on the list 

20 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Oh drat it would have been a third hit for the crowdsourced deathlist if we had collectively voted to have kept Nanette Fabray on the list 

Nah, the third hit would’ve been Billy Graham. :P 

• Haha 1

The Crowdsource list has been notably behind from previous years. In 2016, we have 7 hits at this point, with 6 in March and Howard Marks. Last year, we also had 7, but they were all announced in the first two months. This year, we're only at three hits as of today. Not sure if we'll break 2017's record tbh...

PS, any ideas when the full list of all of the potential picks is going to be released?

Eventually!

• Like 1

Hit #4 for the deathlist is also hit #4 here...

17 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Hit #4 for the deathlist is also hit #4 here...

Aye, list will be updated when I have a spare moment later.

BUSHED!

4/50

636592608803549526-D01G2LLINE16V2-7P6-X-

18th April 2018

Former American First Lady, Barbara Bush, has died, to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. Bush's health, much like her husband (watch this space?), was widely reported on in recent years, so her strong vote from the forum was no surprise. Despite being related to George W, George HW, Jeb, and that Bush that ran Fox News no one can remember the name of, Barbara seemed to be more of a respected figure across the political divide, especially compared to her long time rival, Nancy Reagan. Perhaps it was her speaking out for gay rights, pro-choice or encouraging literacy rates among children which prompted that - all 3 controversial topics in the US -, but it might also equally be that, as a long term critic of The Simpsons, Bush proved to be merely 10 years ahead of everyone else on the planet. If there's anything millennials love, it's a hipster.  She also wrote a children's novel from a dog's perspective.  This was her first appearance on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After some talk with msc, I can now officially confirm that I will taking over the Crowdsourced List starting with the 2019 list. I would like to thank msc for running this very well in the last 3 years, and I’m looking forward to running this starting at November when the first list comes in. :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FergusonJenkins said:

Ya sucka's dumb,why aint any yall pick Rick Ross when that fat fuck gunna die soon

Er, probably because the first major health problem didn’t come until 2018...

8 hours ago, FergusonJenkins said:

Ya sucka's dumb,why aint any yall pick Rick Ross when that fat fuck gunna die soon

It's always risky to proclaim things like that when you yourself demonstrably have shit all grasp of how this works.

• Like 1

Yep, I believe any good forum game should have a healthy transfer of host every few years to stop it being reliant on one person. (There are obvious exceptions like the Deathrace, of course, but not many games are synonymous with one person imo.) I am happy to see the "forum list" idea had legs, and I wish Joey all the best in totting up the scores (and in dealing with many many sock account votes) for 2019!

• Like 3

We’re at number 5. Will we ever get ahead of the deathlist this year?

TESS OF THE D'URBA...FILLS A COFFIN

5/50

TESSAJOWELLGETTY_2151888c.jpg

13th May 2018

There has been anTessapation of a 5th hit for the Crowdsourced Deathlist for a while, and it has arrived in the shape of former politician Tessa Jowell. Jowell was first elected as a councilor aged 23, and moved up the political ranks, becoming one of the more familiar faces in the lesser Cabinet posts in Tony Blair's government. She was the Culture Secretary brought in to punish the BBC after the Gilligan Affair, although her admirers would point out that she valiantly tried to prevent the existence of BBC3. She founded OFCOM, Sure Start and The BBC Trust, and sought to liberalise the gambling laws. Despite once saying she'd jump in front of a bus for Tony Blair, she also served under Gordon Brown, and refused to join in with the rebellions against him in 2009 despite demotion.  However, she was best known for her promotion of the London Olympics pre-bid and afterwards, an idea that Blair called hopeless in 2002 yet was delighted to bask in the glory of a mere decade later. In more recent years she was  a recurring critic of Jeremy Corbyn, and made an unsuccessful bid to be London Mayor. This year she spoke out in favour of cancer treatments, having previously announced her own terminal illness. She was 70, and appearing on the list for the first time.

She also wasn't Harriet Harman, despite some folk getting them mixed up.

• Like 4

How close was Ray Wilson, since he's the next person that people are say they're such a miss...

8 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

How close was Ray Wilson, since he's the next person that people are say they're such a miss...

83rd, 85 points adrift.

• Like 1

Mary Wilson brings up to 6 and ahead of the deathlist for the first time in a while. Also, the front page with our list needs 3 skulls by the dead corpses...

EDIT: Well, at least to Barbara Bush, just noticed that it probably got edited before I made this post...

• Like 1

STOP! IN THE NAME OF DEATH!*

(Yeah, I know, it's what comes up when you Google Search for here too...:D)

6/50

220px-Mary_Wilson,_wife_of_the_Labour_Pr

6th June 2018

Lady Mary Wilson has sadly died at the young age of 102, to give The Crowdsourced Deathlist another success. This was her first appearance on the list, and she had been selected in 46th position. A poet and daughter of a minister, Mary Baldwin married Harold Wilson in 1940. For the next 55 years, she supported him through public life, be it politics, on-going rumours of an affair with his secretary, or a later period of extended ill health. In 1964, Harold became Prime Minister, making Mary the British equivalent of First Lady. She focused on her Private Eye diary (:P) and her poetry, publishing collections in the 1970s which, while helped into being by her husband's job, were of much better quality than the witterings by some professional poets. She served as one of the Judges on the Man Booker Prize, awarding the 1976 prize to David Storey. Behind the scenes, she had a formidable reputation for holding the Labour party together during the 1970s. Truth be told, a warning Harold would get Mary involved was often enough to put the fear of God into any opponents! In the early 1980s, Harold was diagnosed with dementia, which swiftly took hold, and Mary looked after him (and stopped the press taking note of his strolls around Westminster) until his death in 1995. In the last two decades of her life, she spent much of her time in the Scilly Islands, for whom she was a popular publiciser, and having regular lunches with her alleged nemesis, Marcia Falkender. Mary Wilson hated politics, and though frail in her last decade of life, was still able to put the fear of God into a person with one Paddington Bear stare, as friends of mine have attested (having suffered it)! As a Bevanite member of the CND and principle backer of the Open University, her thoughts on New Labour never quite made print, for one reason or another...

Msc editorial: I always had respect for Mary Wilson's protection of Harold during a long dementia, having seen relatives slowly decline to that horror disease. Plus, the on-going disdain to the Wilson years by the new Labour media made her an underdog figure of sorts too. So naturally, first name on the team sheet for my first few deadpools. I used to joke that if Clive Dunn was the Deathlist favourite then Lady Wilson was the Pan Breed favourite, but really, of all the people on all the lists I've ever submitted, she was the one I remained fondest of, as a person. She was a huge behind the scenes part of one of my favourite periods of a hobby horse - Labour party history as a larger part of British and Scottish social history as a whole - and her longevity added to the appeal. And now she's gone. Things just wont be the same on a personal level. RIP Mary. Carol Ann Duffy and Cherie Blair were just shit pretenders to the throne imo.

• Like 7

One of the things that I might allow next year when I take over is to allow people who has a pick that’s significant to them (such as msc with Wilson and Death Impends with Foray) write the obituary for that particular person if they become a hit. I have a few other potential quality of life changes in mind, but I’ll stay mum about those until we’re closer to Thanksgiving...