msc

The 3rd Crowdsourced Deathlist (2018 edition)

1 minute ago, msc said:

Oh, how did you do then? Some names really surprised me - Serra Cary and Caballe (who I was told in the chat is quite ill) for 2.

My own list overlapped with 29/50, with Smith and Mitchell being surprise overlaps. 

20 women on the list! I really like that, because they are always unterrepresented on the DL.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Book said:

20 women on the list! I really like that, because they are always unterrepresented on the DL.

8 of them in the top 20, too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, msc said:

8 of them in the top 20, too.

So my predictions weren't too bad, weren't they? ;)

9 minutes ago, Book said:

So my predictions weren't too bad, weren't they? ;)

And Brackers was top when you made them too.

Kamala finished in 54th place on 194 points, 14 points off 50th.

Damn, I should've given her more points  :rant:

1 minute ago, Book said:

Damn, I should've given her more points  :rant:

Well, not to compound things, but if you'd give a mere 8 more points to Aretha...

The folk I named as near misses were the only folk one list could have qualified. 62nd - Desmond Tutu and 63rd - Patrick Cryne and Queen Libby joint- were over 50 points away from 50th.

The forum has spoken, and there's little doubt in the uniform opinion behind most of the selection tbh.

Oh, Aretha...

Next year, for sure! ;)

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

How far off from joining the list was Vera Miles?! 

Remind me, she was your sub, right? So came on when someone died, and got 1 point for that?

If memory serves, she was a mere 207 points (give or take a point) off qualifying.

7 minutes ago, msc said:

Remind me, she was your sub, right? So came on when someone died, and got 1 point for that?

If memory serves, she was a mere 207 points (give or take a point) off qualifying.

I think she was my sub who replaced  my top choice Carmen Franco so I assume she got Carmen's fifty points or I may have misunderstood how it works and the number 2 choice moves up to number one and Vera Miles the sub becomes number fifty with one point? 

Awe that figures disappointing let's hope I can persuade people to do a Glynis Johns with her and get her on the list next year! 

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I think she was my sub who replaced  my top choice Carmen Franco so I assume she got Carmen's fifty points or I may have misunderstood how it works and the number 2 choice moves up to number one and Vera Miles the sub becomes number fifty with one point? 

Awe that figures disappointing let's hope I can persuade people to do a Glynis Johns with her and get her on the list next year! 

2nd moves to 1st, 3rd to 2nd and so on.

The other option would be much less work for me! But carnage! Hah.

• Haha 1

How far off was Jim Bowen from qualifying?

Just now, Handrejka said:

How far off was Jim Bowen from qualifying?

He got circa 30 points. Anything below 100 points is all higeldy-pigeldy in the notes, I'll put it all together ala last year in a while.

• Like 1

Ok, here you go: my post-vote "analysis"

George Bush being top is staggering. Leah Bracknell was first to break every point record, and in mid-December, had  a 200 point lead over 2nd place. Which wasn’t Bush! Bush gained 258 points in the last 48 hours of 2017, compared to Bracknell’s 220. I think in the end, Bush’s 31 lists to Bracknell’s mere 28 was the clincher, but they both got such high votes that the Bush comeback was so incremental, bit by bit, the odd extra point here and there, that I never spotted it coming until the very last vote came in and suddenly Bush had overtaken our favourite shaman healer. Astounding.

John McCain was a newcomer and never in doubt. 29 lists saw to that! At one point he was top, but then Brackers took control. Then he fell below Nobby Stiles for a long time before regaining a lot of votes.

The top three all got lots of support, of course, because they are very good picks indeed.

I made a veiled reference to Kirk Douglas missing the list in early December. As you can see, I should have waited. His points came in and they came in huge.

There really is very little to say about Vera Lynn, Robert Mugabe, Prince Philip, Olivia Neutron-Bomb, or Rev Billy G. They all got lots of votes. They were all voted on by over half the voters.

Nobby Stiles didn’t make last years list. Considerably upswing in votes! He was even 3rd for a long time before a late slip.

Clive James snuck onto last years list, with a few late votes making it look better than it did. After a half year of no articles, and very little interviews, James is a case of absence making the heart fonder, and James appeared on many many lists. In a reverse of last year, fewer points late on meant his top 10 spot vanished. And so Leslie Philips jumped into 11th place.

Glynis Johns seems to be beneficiary of the Spade Law. Namely, Spade Cooley is a poster on Deathlist Forums, people like Spade, Spade likes Glynis, people like Glynis as a result. Though given that might be why someone else is on this list, you know, people in glasshouses… Even so, the points on offer for Johns were staggering, and she was 6th for most of the voting, before the final day pushed her down to 15th.

Barbara Bush, lots of voters, lots of points, late flourish to overtake Tessa. Dilip Kumar and Olivia de Havilland also got lots of votes and regular points in this way. Ditto Charlotte Rae, whose voters tended to give her very high votes.

Tessa Jowell was a big points spender, and yet, might fell unappreciated to finish 19th – for while her points didn’t dry up, the points for Herman Wouk and Barbara Bush increased more substantially, so a higher spot was lost.

Those who picked LazyTown’s Stefan Karl Stefansson went very high with points.

Denis Norden was one of those names that kept showing up with random regularity.

With 112 points by 1st December, Jill Gascoine had already set out a strong head start on pretenders to her spot. From then on her voters tended to vote high for her. A huge jump from 48th place last year.

Former Pope Benedict is difficult to search out the points for because everyone has a different name for him! Sort of dropped off in interest in the second half of December, had been threatening a top 15 spot before that.

Jimmy Carter appeared on 15 lists and his points were spread out through the voting period. He was always in the 20-30 spots.

Franco Zeffireli is the lowest ranked person to get at least 5 top ten votes. Again, never in doubt.

Sidney Poiter got a chunk of votes (100) from 26-31 December, and a chunk of points (200) from the start to the 5th December. Nicely spread out.

Most of Greg Gilberts votes had arrived in by 3rd December, but it was enough.

Made up 320 of his points from 16th December onwards. Gorbachev looked set to miss out early on.

While 13 lists meant Fernando Ricksen was unlikely to miss out on a second consecutive list. In fact, the fortnight of being MIA from lists in mid-December meant he slipped from 10th place downwards before a late charge back up.

Lord Carrington appeared on 14 lists.  150 points before November was out meant he was never missing his list debut.

Those of who who went for John Hume all gave him 25 points at the very least.

A bunch of points post-Christmas secured his place, though he looked likely from the early going.

Seven of the ten voters for Linda Nolan came before the 14th December. At that point, she was in the top ten. She dropped significantly but those early points were more than enough.

Those who picked Stan Lee tended to place him quite highly. Ditto Montserrat Caballe, who appeared on only 9 lists but as you can see from the maths, very highly on those lists!

Joanne Woodward got her points in 3 quick bursts – November, mid-December, and then end of the year.

Lots of early points gave Jean of Luxembourg an early lead, he never looked in danger of not qualifying.

The forum mentions about the great Diana Athill’s 100th birthday saw a points bonanza head her way.

Jacques Chirac was going to miss out on the list entirely until 5 posters gave him 80 points combined in the last week of the year. Even so, a massive fall from grace for Chirac, even if he’s actually ONLY down 2 points on 2017! I thought I wasn’t getting a chance at usually the really shit pun headline…

Alberto Fujimori got 200 of his post from Christmas Day and onwards. Can’t think why…

Again, if you appeared on 10 lists at least, and average a spot at 25 or higher you had a good chance of the list, like Valerie Harper did here.

Another late arrival, Bob Dole’s appearance was confirmed by a forum heavyweight on Boxing Day. 40 more points on Hogmanay made sure.

Pearl Carr has been heavily promoted on the forum over the years by Maryport, so is a pick gaining in awareness, plus had rumblings of being really quite ill last year. Carr only appeared on 7 lists, but those who did pick her, went high.

Liam Miller was always likely to contend for a spot but 100 points in the last 3 days made sure. Bonus cheer for the voter who wasn’t sure I’d have heard of him!

Points here and there got Beverly Cleary onto the list.

Until about the 24th December, I thought Monica Vitti would avoid appearing for the 2nd time, and then the big points started arriving. She has some big fans on this forum, who are regular voters for her.

Pan Breed favourite Mary Wilson naturally got big points from yours truly, I always give her high points. Unlike other years, other people actually voted for her, and while her points nearly dried entirely up by mid-December it was enough!

Diana Serra Cary got 128 points on Hogmanay.

Yoko Ono made a late charge for the list with 27 points in the last 4 days to just sneak on the list.

Val Kilmer appeared on 11 lists, and so kept chugging along in the lower 40s, despite my willing him to drop out of contention.

Morgan Tsvangari was picked by a bunch of people in the middle spots, and those points add up. Crucial to his qualification, however, was our very first voter, who gave him 49 points.

Of the near misses:

Spare a thought for Stephen Hawking, Anne Hamilton-Bryne and Norman Lloyd. In the main team for 95% of the nomination period, then swamped out by the 8 lists on the final day. Replaced in the end by Yoko Ono, Diana Serra Cary and Liam Miller.

Stirling Moss, Sean Connery and Kamala tried to make late comebacks but left it just too late…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nowhere close, I'm afraid, but that's really the last of these for now. There's 600 people on the list!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Nowhere close, I'm afraid, but that's really the last of these for now. There's 600 people on the list!

Many Thanks 

22 minutes ago, msc said:

Democracy is shit yeh?

• Haha 1

God knows what I'm going to do when Glynis and Kamala cark it, I'll have nobody left to bang the gong for around here.

Leslie Phillips ended up high on my list mainly because of my mother going "Leslie Phillips is still alive? Really?" during a Christmas dinner conversation.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

God knows what I'm going to do when Glynis and Kamala cark it, I'll have nobody left to bang the gong for around here.

Leslie Phillips ended up high on my list mainly because of my mother going "Leslie Phillips is still alive? Really?" during a Christmas dinner conversation.

Let me recommend to you golden era Hollywood actress and recluse  Vera Miles to bang on and on about to fill the void left by Glynis in the future...... 

In the last fortnight of the year, Rayya Elias went from being a cert for the list to finishing well wide. Anyhow, with 148 points and a 67th place finish, she is the first near miss of 2018.

• Like 1