Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2018 Deathlist?

It seems a little early, I know, but

a. People aren’t really taking advantage of Next Year’s Creativity Thread, and I’m still seeing lots of clutter in the ideas and possibilities page, and

b. I’m feeling very bored right now and have nothing else to do right now

So here’s the page to try to get your Ozzy Osbourne’s on the 2018 list, and to try to pray for your King Michael’s or Leah Bracknell’s to make the starting line because you made an idiotic choice of not picking them on your team. Then, of course, this can also serve as a reminder to the committee for certain picks that are actually good or are interesting enough to be a serious cult pick. 

I’ll start with a cult pick: Sidney Poitier...

• Like 3

I do find it a bit confusing to understand the differences between all of the different threads, the 2018 possibilities and ideas threads, the creativity thread, your thread here and the usual 2018 thread that will be posted soon say December. 

I'm not critiquing you or attacking you but just expressing my own mental fog over this! 

So here are a few new names for next year's list. Barbara Walters, Mary Wilson widow of British Prime Minister Harold Wilson and Motor racing commentator Murray Walker. 

7 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I do find it a bit confusing to understand the differences between all of the different threads, the 2018 possibilities and ideas threads, the creativity thread, your thread here and the usual 2018 thread that will be posted soon say December. 

I'm not critiquing you or attacking you but just expressing my own mental fog over this!

Ideas and Possibilities tends to be more deadpooling in general rather than strictly DeathList-y names, and the Creativity thread is a "if I were the committee, here's who I'd put on the DeathList" fantasy football deal. This thread's been a recurring one over the years and is the one where you make suggestions you hope the committee will take notice of...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Ideas and Possibilities tends to be more deadpooling in general rather than strictly DeathList-y names, and the Creativity thread is a "if I were the committee, here's who I'd put on the DeathList" fantasy football deal. This thread's been a recurring one over the years and is the one where you make suggestions you hope the committee will take notice of...

Thank You 

I really think Joni Mitchell is a great pick. She has barely been seen since that brain aneurysm burst in 2015, she's a lifelong HEAVY smoker, and she has some mental issues like claiming she has Morgellons Disease. At 74 years old, she doesn't exactly have age on her side, either.

• Like 2

Seeing the thread that YoungWilz just posted, Stanley Baxter doesn’t seem to be a bad shout for the committee tbh. 

Like in the first post, I think the final survivor of the original list, Ozzy Osbourne, should make a return starting next. How the hell he was able to last that long I do not know...

• Like 2

Since DL tends to lack non UK/US names I would recommend the following who all meet illness/fame level requirements

Dilip Kumar-Bollywood Icon looks like a walking corpse in recent photos and has spent the last few years in and out of hospitals,would be almost guranteed hit if he makes Jan 1

Salvatore Riina -Sicilian Mob Boss who was given compassionate early release over the summer

Franco Zeffirelli -The Knighted 94 yo Film Director who was too ill too attend his own Museum Opening earlier in the year

Anne Hamilton Byrne - Cult Leader of "The Family" turns 98 and is apparently in ill health

Christiane F.- This one is a bit of a flyer but the German actress/musician  has been on and off heroin since she was 13 and is 55 now.Christiane  has been proclaiming she is near death for a few years now. DL should always have 1-2 trainwreck celebs and imo Christian F. is more likely to be a succesful hit then a Gazza,Sinead O'Connor or Lindsay Lohan.They all likely may be here in 5 years,that's most likely not the case with Christiane F.

• Thanks 1

Katherine Johnson - The woman who helped make the trajectories of many early NASA missions, including Apollo 11. Turns 100 in August.

Barbara Bush - First Lady of the United States from 1989 to 1993. Turning 93 next year.

Jerry Maren - Last known member of the Munchkins (and the Lollipop Guild) from The Wizard of Oz. A death hoax about him happened in February of last year, and by just looking at him from 2010, you can easily see why.

Stephen Hillenburg - Creator of SpongeBob who was diagnosed with ALS back in March.

John McCain - Diagnosed with brain cancer this year. His mother (Roberta), who is still alive at 105, would also make a good pick.

Eileen Derbyshire - Actress best known as Emily Bishop from Coronation Street who turns 88 next October. Retired from acting last year.

• Like 1

Here is what i think DeathList 2018 should look like:

Keep:

Leah Bracknell

Kirk Douglas

Billy Graham

Vera Lynn

Peter Carrington

Prince Philip

Pierre Cardin

Denis Norden

Javier Perez de Cuellar

Stan Lee

Olivia de Havilland

George H. W. Bush

Jimmy Carter

Valerie Harper

Nobby Stiles

Leslie Phillips

Bob Dole

Herman Wouk

King Michael of Romania

Hosni Mubarak

Robert Mugabe

Desmond Tutu

Bob Barker

Pope Benedict XVI

Jill Gascoine

Add:

John McCain

Olivia Newton-John

Doris Day

Ozzy Osbourne

Johnny Hallyday

Yasuhiro Nakasone

Stephen Hillenburg

Joni Mitchell

Barbara Bush

Henry Kissinger

Clive James

Greg Gilbert

Lawrence Ferlinghetti

Stephen Hawking

Devin Lima

Glynis Johns

Tony Bennett

Norman Lloyd

Linda Nolan

Carol Channing

Windsor Davies

Sean Connery

Stefan Karl Stefansson

Sidney Poitier

Jiang Zemin

• Like 2

Unfortunately for Devin Lima and Greg Gilbert, they just don’t seem signicant enough to warrant a spot on their list. I know people will go but Errol Christie and Gord Downie made the list this year, but Christie was a well respected boxer in his prime time (even if he had a terrible professional career), and Downie was a national treasure in Canada. They both have an argument for their significance, whereas Gilbert and Lima seems to be singers in indie bands, and nothing else. Even the most obscure musical act who made the list before, Ian Dury, had a certain amount of influence in his music. Those two just don’t stand a chance of making the list imo. 

• Like 1

Oh, and the committee needs to bring Jacques Chirac back so we don’t have another Helmut Kohl dilemma next year...

• Like 2

I think on the subject of the Ozzy Osbournes' and what not, Keith Richards may be a good shout too.

7 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Unfortunately for Devin Lima and Greg Gilbert, they just don’t seem signicant enough to warrant a spot on their list. I know people will go but Errol Christie and Gord Downie made the list this year, but Christie was a well respected boxer in his prime time (even if he had a terrible professional career), and Downie was a national treasure in Canada. They both have an argument for their significance, whereas Gilbert and Lima seems to be singers in indie bands, and nothing else. Even the most obscure musical act who made the list before, Ian Dury, had a certain amount of influence in his music. Those two just don’t stand a chance of making the list imo. 

Agree with you about Lima, even though Summer Girls is a well known and remembered 1hit wonder to anyone who was a youth when it came out. Excluding their family, I doubt anyone knew the first name of the band members besides Rich who rhymed his name into the song multiple times.

6 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

So here are a few new names for next year's list. Barbara Walters, Mary Wilson widow of British Prime Minister Harold Wilson and Motor racing commentator Murray Walker. 

Yep, what DI says, the "creativity thread" wasn't supposed to replace this annual one. It was to take all those "here is my 50 person random lists" out of the Ideas thread to stop that getting cluttered.

This is more the "please pick this one or two people Cmme" thread - then, when one or two them do wind up on the list people pretend they had any say. :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Even the most obscure musical act who made the list before, Ian Dury, had a certain amount of influence in his music. Those two just don’t stand a chance of making the list imo. 

Ian Dury, obscure ?!!!  He had several UK top ten singles (including a No 1), and two top ten albums.

• Like 2

if Bernard Tapie  (former Adidas CEO and OM ,chairman) and Jean Louis Trintignant (actor) are enough famous in England they are good pick.

Ian Dury was so famous, it was the first words she said when I got home from school that day. Not "how was double French?" (hideous) or "Hi", it was "Ian Dury's dead!" That's proper pop culture famous, like the time a teacher interrupted class to inform us all that Linda McCartney had died.

Also, have people confused LFO (early 90s Warp-signed EDM act) with LFO (late 90s boy band)? Lima was a member of the latter, not the former. I mean "Summer Girls" still kills at karaoke.

Daniel arap Moi, former Kenyan President has Alzheimer’s and is 95 next year. Easy hit...

Also, I think Michael Martin, former Speaker is a good punt. He’s taken a leave of absence from the Lords, is in his 70s and quite heavy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Ian Dury, obscure ?!!!  He had several UK top ten singles (including a No 1), and two top ten albums.

Clearly I didn't phrase it that well, of course he's well known enough to make the list...

Of course, now that I think about it, Lou Rawls is more obscure than Dury, yet he's still significant enough and well known enough to make the list. i think my general point still stands though, Gilbert and Lima aren't significant enough to make the list...

1. John McCain

2. Stefan Karl Stefansson

3. Roberta McCain

4. Charles Manson

5. Olivia Newton-John

6. Prince Henrik

7. Jean from Luxemborug

8. Prunella Scales

9. Norman Lloyd

10. Herman Wouk

11. Lindsay Sandiford

12. Terry Jones

13. Wolfgang Bosbach

14. Efraín Ríos Montt

15. Charlotte Rae

16. Leah Bracknell

17. Tessa Jowell

18. Hutton Gibson

19. Clive James

20. Linda Nolan

21. Jose Jose

22. Jacques Chirac

23. Gerd Müller

24. Johnny Hallyday

25. Devin Lima

• Like 1

Stupid thread and anyone acknowledging it, other than to complain to deaf Admins.
Answer: See those listed in 'Possibilities for 2018" thread.  
SC

• Like 2