Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2018 Deathlist?

39 minutes ago, msc said:

The two big names are Barbara Bush (92 next year, Deathlist loves First Ladies, also, meant to be frail nowadays), and Mikhail Gorbachev

Strongly agree with this names.

By the way. .. what about Pelè and Maradona?  I seriously think one of them could go next year.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Deadpool said:

Strongly agree with this names.

By the way. .. what about Pelè and Maradona?  I seriously think one of them could go next year.

Pelé why not. Had health prob sometimes, old and he is a big name.

But Maradona look well, still young.

there's better Foot legend to play : Zagallo, Boniperti and surely others. ( yes I kno they are not such a legend than Pelé and Maradona)

• Like 1

Mary Wilson,Diane Athill,Irene Papas,Christa Ludwig energy is very feminine

• Like 1

I do think Gorbachev should be included in 2018 - he'll be 87 in March - quite a good age when you think of other Russian/Soviet politicians.  Or he could be the next Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Molotov and live to 96.  When you think of his importance in world politics at the end of the Cold War and the other main leaders (Reagan, Thatcher, Kohl) are now all nearly gone it would be quite a miss.  Also was thinking of George Shultz who'll be 98 next year although with Bush, Carter, Dole and a possible return of Kissinger the committee may not want any more US politicians in the list.

Another extremely deathlisty pick IMO would be Geoffrey Palmer who will be 91 next year. Been in bloody everything really and his last screen role was in 2014 for Paddington so looks like he may now have retired (?).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grigori said:

Mary Wilson,Diane Athill,Irene Papas,Christa Ludwig energy is very feminine

A fair point really - a useful target would be to have a record number of women on the list.

• Like 1

Who should be on the list? Famous persons who are likely to die soon. Obviously. John McCain, Val Kilmer, Mikhail Gorbachev, Kirk Douglas, George Bush Sr. & Jimmy Carter & their first ladies. I don't think that Doris Day will die soon & I don't understand why some consider Clint Eastwood as deathlist material. He just finished directing a movie & seems very tough. Burt Reynolds looks much more decrepit. 

I understand that most members of this page are British. There are many names on the 2017 list that I don't know at all. Reality stars? Really? I suggest Dame Maggie Smith, because she had breast cancer. Joanne Woodward seems also a worthy candidate. Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Jane Powell & Charles Aznavour seem also good candidates, considering their age.  

• Like 3

How about Sean Connery and Michael Caine? Both massive names in declining health. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

Who should be on the list? Famous persons who are likely to die soon. Obviously. John McCain, Val Kilmer, Mikhail Gorbachev, Kirk Douglas, George Bush Sr. & Jimmy Carter & their first ladies. I don't think that Doris Day will die soon & I don't understand why some consider Clint Eastwood as deathlist material. He just finished directing a movie & seems very tough. Burt Reynolds looks much more decrepit. 

I understand that most members of this page are British. There are many names on the 2017 list that I don't know at all. Reality stars? Really? I suggest Dame Maggie Smith, because she had breast cancer. Joanne Woodward seems also a worthy candidate. Harry Belafonte, Sidney Poitier, Jane Powell & Charles Aznavour seem also good candidates, considering their age.  

You make some good and fair points and suggestions. 

I'm really torn over Doris Day. On one hand she is 95 and an absolute unique legendary phenomenon. A real Hollywood icon and cultural touchstone. She is a really big name star from the golden age of Hollywood. I'd really hate the committee to miss her as a hit if she dies. 

On the other hand by many accounts she's in decent health and finer fettle than many of her generation. If she were to live to 100 ie 2022 I wouldn't be at all surprised. 

I'm in agreement with you mentioning Jane Powell as a contender. One of the few MGM musical stars still with us starring in real colourful camp films like seven brides for seven brothers. She's definitely deathlisty in my opinion. 

I recall a number of showbiz watchers on an American forum a few months ago mentioning how she was always seen out and about in the local community at coffee shops, restaurants and some local events. Even after she was widowed she continued with this. 

But now seems to have become a recluse and hasn't been seen about. Sparking speculation locally. 

Ideally I'd like Doris Day and Jane Powell both on the DeathList but I'm not sure if the committee would go for both but rather just one of them. 

I just can't decide for sure who I think would be best for reasons mentioned above but I'm leaning towards Jane Powell. 

I'm sure DevonDeathTrip will be excited to see me mention Sister Wendy Beckett as a possibility for next year, as I think she could make an appearance next year perhaps...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThePrematureBurial said:

I don't think there are any "reality stars" on the DL. 

But perhaps you meant that some have been suggested by posters here.  I agree that the sort of people one tends to find in the Daily Mail sidebar of shame are often not "Deathlisty".

Some possiblies:

Cancer:

John McCain

Charlotte Rae

Tessa Jowell

Olivia Newton-John

Aretha Franklin

Clive James

Stefan Karl Stefansson

Rayya Elias

Morgan Tsvangirai

Nick Boles

Val Kilmer

Scott Hamilton

Liam Miller

Kathleen Blanco

Devin Lima

Linda Nolan

Bernard Tapie

Denis Goldberg

Jose Jose

Carmen Franco

Greg Gilbert

Dean Francis

Patrick Cryne

Catherine Nevin

Simon Ricketts

Tommy Chong

Bill Wyman

Oliver Dragojevic

Ryan O'Neal

ALS:

Fernando Ricksen

Stephen Hillenburg

Stephen Hawking

Steve Gleason

Kerry Goode

Alzheimer/Dementia:

Jeanne Little

Prunella Scales

Monica Vitti

John Hume

Terry Jones

Prince Henrik

Martin Peters

Ray Wilson

Gerd Müller

Stan Bowles

Billy McNeil

Neil Simon

Zell Miller

Daniel arap Moi

COPD:

Grace Anne Koppel

Stroke:

Chris Rea

Joni Mitchell

Tim Curry

Parkinson:

Michael J. Fox

Roger Bannister

Johnny Isakson

Ray Kennedy

HIV:

Magic Johnson

Charlie Sheen:)

Alcoholism:

Shane McGowan

Paul Gascoigne

Jimmy Greaves

David Hasselhoff

Charlie Sheen

Drug problems:

Lindsay Lohan

Macaulay Culkin

Courtney Love

Diabetes:

Wilford Brimley

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Prophet said:

Some possiblies:

Cancer:

John McCain

Charlotte Rea

Tessa Jowell

Olivia Newton-John

Aretha Franklin

Clive James

Stefan Karl Stefansson

Rayya Elias

Morgan Tsvangirai

Nick Boles

Val Kilmer

Scott Hamilton

Liam Miller

Kathleen Blanco

Devin Lima

Linda Nolan

Bernard Tapie

Denis Goldberg

Jose Jose

Carmen Franco

Greg Gilbert

Dean Francis

Patrick Cryne

Catherine Nevin

Simon Ricketts

Tommy Chong

Bill Wyman

Oliver Dragojevic

Ryan O'Neal

ALS:

Fernando Ricksen

Stephen Hillenburg

Stephen Hawking

Steve Gleason

Kerry Goode

Alzheimer/Dementia:

Jeanna Little

Prunella Scales

Monica Vitti

John Hume

Terry Jones

Prince Henrik

Martin Peters

Ray Wilson

Gerd Müller

Stan Bowles

Billy McNeil

Neil Simon

Zell Miller

Daniel arap Moi

COPD:

Grace Anne Koppel

Stroke:

Chris Rea

Joni Mitchell

Tim Curry

Parkinson:

Michael J. Fox

Roger Bannister

Johnny Isakson

Ray Kennedy

HIV:

Magic Johnson

Charlie Sheen:)

Alcoholism:

Shane McGowan

Paul Gascoigne

Jimmy Greaves

David Hasselhoff

Charlie Sheen

Drug problems:

Lindsay Lohan

Macaulay Culkin

Courtney Love

Diabetes:

Wilford Brimley

Peter Falk has Alzheimer¬s.

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

So does Charlton Heston. 

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

So does Charlton Heston. 

And Glen Campbell

14 minutes ago, Sean said:

And Glen Campbell

had Alzheimers............. now dead

James Corden/Piers Morgan. Just in hope. No supporting medical reason. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bentrovato said:

had Alzheimers............. now dead

:whoosh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Wilford Brimley

• Like 1

Brimley is a dead ringer for Jimmy Greaves.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sean said:

Wilford Brimley

Wilford Brimley and his Diabeetus.

6 minutes ago, Prophet said:

Wilford Brimley and his Diabeetus.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Sean said:

I keep hearing this one here but none of the nice British chaps in this forum have volunteered thus far to explain this seemingly humorous little quip to me.