YoungWillz

16. Stanley Baxter

7 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

This might ring a few bells ...as to the question, would it be made today? Well, let's just say it's of its time. 

I genuinely can't see why it is OK to dress up as a person of a different gender, but not OK to dress up as a person of a different race.  It's just acting, comic acting in this example.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Toast said:

I genuinely can't see why it is OK to dress up as a person of a different gender, but not OK to dress up as a person of a different race.  It's just acting, comic acting in this example.

Surely the woke thought police that controls Big Tech and the media should demand that Eddie Murphy's apologise for his use of "white face".

• Facepalm 1

Stanley seems like someone who would fit in at DL  somehow, well he is Scottish and gay  so he'd be at the centre of that Venn diagram. 

• Haha 7

On 25/05/2018 at 00:09, CoffinLodger said:

it's the closest we'll get to it for a decade 

Actually the Queen's death was the closest we got to Stanley's death for some years...

• Like 2

Always a big death round about my birthday in some days time.

Just saying, I know Truss has been busy but...:D

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Always a big death round about my birthday in some days time.

Just saying, I know Truss has been busy but...:D

21 again?! Your 50th? Or are you too shy and coy to say?!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

21 again?! Your 50th? Or are you too shy and coy to say?!

Definitely a last century kind of guy.

Think I'm placeable for those who have been here a while. I can certainly remember Mr Baxter's TV specials. ;)

• Like 1

On 10/11/2017 at 16:57, maryportfuncity said:

So when he goes we can say the Queen is dead

stanley_baxter_now_and_then.jpg

And only then...wait a minute....

NOT DEAD

But has anyone heard or seen any recent information on Baxter’s current status?

He’s gone almost worryingly quiet. I cannot seem to find anything since he published his autobiography in November 2020, with a picture of him holding it, looking spritely and incredibly youthful for ninety-four.

Due to some hard decisions with limited places, I’m seriously considering taking him off my 2023 shadow list last minute; 2024 feels like his year for some reason (a strong feeling he’ll go at 98 like his contemporary, Leslie Phillips). However, I would hate to miss this national treasure of British television all of a sudden like I did with Bernard Cribbins, 97 is a dangerous age for anyone (especially males) and Baxter is probably the second most vulnerable candidate from this year’s list, who was born in 1926 and is still living (after Tony Bennett).

So should I risk leaving Baxter off until 2024 and give his place to someone else like Vera Miles, Bernadette Chirac, Burt Bacharach etc.?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

NOT DEAD

Not necessary, we know you are not able to break such big news.

EDIT: evil and unneeded. Am I turning into Ulitzer?

• Haha 6

Ahmnoshureburrahmprityfashedhesoanmateamfiranitheryear.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Ahmnoshureburrahmprityfashedhesoanmateamfiranitheryear.

Aye, minetaeasweel. 

• Like 2

I watched the 1977 xmas special with Crosby/Bowie/Baxter/Twiggy etc a few days ago and was amazed to find he was still alive. If he outlives Twiggy I think he's immortal.

• Like 2

On 31/12/2022 at 12:14, Arsewipe said:

I watched the 1977 xmas special with Crosby/Bowie/Baxter/Twiggy etc a few days ago and was amazed to find he was still alive. If he outlives Twiggy I think he's immortal.

Yes, also extra staggering that he is still alive over 60 years after he seriously contemplated suicide, and also considering he has lived a mostly unhappy life because he has been unhappy with who he turned out to be.

• Like 2

Look Reaper, when I slipped you that note last night with the initials "SB" and "I've started a thread for him on the Deathlist forums ;)" I thought you'd know who I meant!

Sort it!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Pretty sure that’s one of those Cash Luna accounts 

He was on Wikipedia as "Dynoblex" and got blocked for using that Twitter account to add Stanley Baxter and Jeffrey Jones to the deaths in 2024 article. I had a feeling it was our Latin American friend based on the bad English, but since he was blocked without a fight I didn't figure he'd be bored enough to try signing up again and actually passing that account off as legit news. Oh well...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoldierAmerican10 said:

That's crazy, you must be the insider who broke the story a week ago and is a huge fan of 2001: A Space Odyssey...

1874166520_Screenshot_20240323-1845172.thumb.png.13bb29d5744f8ee1c3a07b1e0ddd1dd3.png

(And to the people who want an invite to the server: no, I'm nuking it and you can create your own)

• Haha 5