YoungWillz

16. Stanley Baxter

Before Connolly, there was a charming Scottish comedian and actor known as Stanley Baxter.

A star on radio, TV and film, he really only graduated to the knowledge to the UK populace once he sold out moved to London. (Ah, those pre-regional days when you had to go there to really make it!). Of course I remember him best for his glamorous 1970s specials, inevitably dressing up as a lady...as I understand it, he was the first impressionist to do one of Her Majesty The Queen, which caused all sorts of trouble, but which he sailed through. His Parliamo Glasgow sketches remain the stuff of legend, but then they would, because taking the piss out of Scots remains a popular British pastime to this day, and Stanley was only too happy to take the cash for deprecating the language of the city of his birth.

Eventually he became famous to another generation through the children's TV show Mr Majeika.

He was on the side of Scotland remaining in the UK during the 2014 Indy Referendum, after all it is important to stress that from his £2m home in Highgate, London.

Anyway, he's at that age of 91 when he's checking obituaries and not seeing himself. And neither are we yet. But lest we forget, here's his thread.

• Like 5

So when he goes we can say the Queen is dead

stanley_baxter_now_and_then.jpg

• Haha 2

I think that's all because I mentioned him once early on. :o 

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Wow, he made the list!

:o

Read the list out from 50 to 1 to the wife (as is our wee tradition). Her response? "What? Stanley Baxter is STILL ALIVE?"

A decent enough pick.A massive figure in British comedy.My Late Grandads favourite comic.

92 Today :party:

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:57, maryportfuncity said:

So when he goes we can say the Queen is dead

stanley_baxter_now_and_then.jpg

it's the closest we'll get to it for a decade 

He’s gonnae pull through for twa thoosand and ninteen y’ken 

Saw the channel 5 documentary on his career.He looks and sounds not too bad but he did an interview recently which states his memory is very poor to the point he can't remember seeing the documentary.Also says he is housebound and can't get out or in his stairlift.

Can't get the link to work but it's from the herald Scotland.

On 02/12/2019 at 14:31, Sean said:

Can't get the link to work but it's from the herald Scotland.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/18066320.stanley-baxter-memory-may-shaky-comedy-great-funny-ever/

Here ya go.

That’s marvellous,” he says of the Channel 5 programme which has been crafted to parallel elements of Stanley’s life. “It’s lovely to have the tribute. It’s nice to know people still think of me. But is it a good show? Have you seen it?”

I have and it’s a great tribute, Stanley. It will bring back so many great memories. There are clips flashing back to early BBC Scotland shows in the 1960s, great archive footage, and, of course, it features that very handsome journalist who has written your biography.

“Yes, that’s wonderful,” he says, in soft, but delighted voice that reveals a delicious hint of sarcasm. “And I’m sure television will be kind to you.”

But all is not entirely wonderful. It transpires that the Glasgow-born legend has actually seen the programme. The production team sent over an advance copy a couple of weeks back. “I’ve seen it?” he says, a little taken aback. “Oh, dear. The memory isn’t quite what it was.”

he had a stent fitted. Baxter had blacked out while on holiday at his villa in Cyprus and awoke to find “a Hattie Jacques-lookalike nurse with a huge bosom standing over me. I thought I’d died and woken up in a Carry On film hospital.”

On 29/12/2019 at 00:14, msc said:

I really hope people didn't use Baxter pretending to have watched a documentary as a guide for their teams by. Misinterpreting it as memory issues.... 

Got a good few years left. At least he was dropped from the list. 

Wouldn't be that surprised if he made it to 100 given the lack of obvious health issues 

12 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Well, I never would have guessed....

I now eagerly await Cliff Richards authorised biography.:)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Comes out in authorized biography:

1902033640_b25lY21zOmQ1YWYwMWRkLWY1NTUtNDcwMy05ZGU1LTMwYzhkODRmNDMzMjpiODczYzBkMy03NjEzLTQyZDYtODQyZi1iNjZmYmMwYmZmMTY2.jpg.41b7c6d939dbe0e1d4f6d97219572d3b.jpg

So has Billy, it would seem!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Deathrace said:

As an aside, he looks pretty chipper for 94. 

Hell yeah

Start the sweepstake - Stan vs Keith Richards - now

This might ring a few bells ...as to the question, would it be made today? Well, let's just say it's of its time. 

• Like 1