Joey Russ

So How's Your 2018 Shortlist Looking?

I'm seeing a lot of people talking about how they think on certain celebrities right now who got mentioned in the forums, so it makes me wonder how is everyone's shortlist looking right now? Do you think you'll have the best year ever with the people on your shortlist, or are you one of those people who is waiting till the 30th of December to even start putting together your list?

For me right now, I have two potential feelings with my squad at the moment, either it's going to be a much better year for me than or it will turn into a disaster. I obviously want the former, but there's still time yet to get more people onto my list. Well, at least I know that my current joker and potential back ups will obit this time...

I shall have my usual mix for my general team of people mentioned here, people who haven't been mentioned for a long time and at least one person who has had a death hoax and at least one person associated with The Beatles.

My theme teams will write themselves I feel...

• Like 1

I am looking at a theme team again but it depends on finding enough interesting names for it rather than "who the fuck are you?" ones.

Just 4 locks, all very obvious, as I continue to chip away at the "yeah, there's definitely 20 better names than this one" people...

Yeah, I think there's only a couple of names on my list that is already truly a lock. Though I do look at a couple of other names that I haven't truly locked, yet I say to myself right, if you make the starting line, you're definitely going on my team in the end...

Well, tbf, I had "seven locks" this time last year. Two of them I snubbed (Hewlett, Skellern), two are still alive (Brackers, Rayya). So mid-November is still a long time from closing...

At least the first two names on that list last year - Van Zandvliet and Downie - produced the goods.

My shortlist is too long... about 100 names for 60 slots.

I'm moving towards increasing the number of hits, instead of trying to maximize point average... so, probably goodbye to the Mao Kobayashi of 2018.

I have around 140 names. I'm thinking Thanksgiving break is when I'll start trimming down rapidly.

My plan for 2018 is to go conservative - lot of low-point (old) dead-certs and very few high-reward risky picks.

I've now condensed mine to about 75 (provisionally; I mean, Bracknell is no.1 at the moment and Mihai no.2)

Whether they're a big gamble or not, the most well known will be surviving the cut (bad choice of words)

This will only be my second list and I’m planning on making it better this year. I now realise how silly my 2017 list was however I did get 11 hits which I think is alright. I will have less joke slots (except Donald Trump who will be a permanent feature).

I think some people are confusing their shadow list as their shortlist. This is for the DDP especially if you’re trying to win it. Nevertheless, you’re welcome to do both on here, I honestly couldn’t care less...

• Like 1

Haven't even started.  Gonna be a pathetic attempt I fear, time is pulling at me in different directions other than 100 hours necessary to put a quality team together.

SC

Ah the moment you were ready to drop someone from contention, only more info sneaks your way which makes them a lock.

Looking back at my longlist, I am so tempted to try to make a sneaky reference to one of my longlisters likely to be on the shortlist soon. Unfortunately for me, I feel as though the joke may be too obvious and someone else may find them...

5 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Looking back at my longlist, I am so tempted to try to make a sneaky reference to one of my longlisters likely to be on the shortlist soon. Unfortunately for me, I feel as though the joke may be too obvious and someone else may find them...

Could have "done more" - that was a classic. Gcreptiles. She was already on my shortlisted and is now dead, of course.

• Like 1

Thirteen new candidates so far. Was discussing list preparation with the lad (Dead Pool participation is one mother-son activity, he had a hit with baseball HOF Bobby Doerr yesterday) and we noted that the fun of research was the amateur exercise of style and personality in developing a list, e.g. stronger representation of wrestlers, musicians, composers, sports Hall of Famers, astronauts, depending on interest. He's learning what we know: there's a knack to balancing the (forgive me) "dead easy" with the specialty picks for competitive lists.

When I see some online death pool standings tables in November with a few "Pointless" entrants (how Richard Osman and Alexander Armstrong would love them!), I wonder if their lists are mostly the 'Pope, Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth, the Bushs, the Carters, the "obvious" famous, and if they do any research at all,, or if they're stacking with high-risk but lucky so far candidates like international journalists, and Abu Bakr al-Baghdadii. 

• Like 1

I'm currently wondering if a (mostly) internet celebrity with about 500.000 followers on YouTube but without wikipedia page will get a QO. Can't make up my mind, but of course, I'll reveal the name.

14 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I'm currently wondering if a (mostly) internet celebrity with about 500.000 followers on YouTube but without wikipedia page will get a QO. Can't make up my mind, but of course, I'll reveal the name.

We've been down this road a few times, maybe 150,000 followers vs 500K.  The answer invariably is 'no'.  But....if it's worth a punt, you could get big points.  As Sir Creep always says, the only people guaranteed not to obit are the living.  He has Qureshi and Lakovic in DDP this year to prove it.

SC

Well, I just had to cut someone who I was hoping to make the starting line but I wasn’t expecting her to anyways. It happens...

Ah, the time where picks that are up for major consideration start to exile into the abyss... 

There'll be more. I think many of our short lists will lose about 5 names still.

A good shortlist loses about a dozen names at least from now on, on average.

A good shortlist does not equal a good final team, of course.

Most frustrating shortlist death for me is still that art dealer who carked it on Boxing Day and would have been a unique for me the following year (I assume).