Joey Russ

So How's Your 2018 Shortlist Looking?

I thought by now I'd have had time to really get at it, but seems it's not going to happen soon.  May not put together much of anything in time.  Alas...

There's a name that I haven't been considering that much, but then I realized that they actually may be a great pick next year, if they are still alive of course...

Still dithering about whether to keep a place in the squad for Clive James and Abu Bakr Al- Baghdadi, a useless pair of layabouts who will probably both cark it in the first week of 2018 if I drop them, or party on in to 2019 if I don't. 

I'm hoping to go back to the tried and trusted method of having an Irish person, a folk/country musician, a criminal and a cleric in the team next year, but really struggling to find a sick enough religious figure to warrant a call up.  Might be time for Sister Wendy to answer the call of duty.

14 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

There's a name that I haven't been considering that much, but then I realized that they actually may be a great pick next year, if they are still alive of course...

Chris Rea or Jimmy Greaves?

On 6.12.2017 at 07:23, gcreptile said:

I've lost three names since then, so far.

Actually, I was technically wrong back then. Hallyday and King Michael were on my prospective B-Team roster. Only Hvorostovsky was on my main team. I think I'm going to mess it up again.

Have only a few ideas.Good ideas though.Waiting until the end of the month before I submit anything.

The only team I have 100% ready is the Hartlepool list. I'm just hoping no one dies from the list cause I don't have any replacements planned for that...

Down to about 45 names on my shortlist. The cuts get very difficult at this point... quite a few youngish likely deaths with risky obit chances in the mix. I'll inevitably punt on one or two but haven't been able to decide which, whereas I think I already settled on picking Julia Perez this time last year.

Just found a pick that is definitely guaranteed to obit and looks like a great pick for many dead pools, but they look like a gamble next year, cause they're either dead by the end of next year, or they're safe cause they find the right treatment. Really going to be one of the toughest calls for next year...

I had another look at my shortlist, and I feel that there's definitely something missing from it. 10 locks at the moment, but when I start going through the 50/50 people and trying to separate them from main team to B Team, it'll be very challenging... 

Had a weird dream where I found out a shortlist name was a few decades older than previously thought and got really annoyed.

Down to 32 names. So a dozen left to drop (quick maths). 

Another tough decision is a young person that has stage IV cancer, but didn't reveal what type or any other information. But due to iffy obitability, they probably won't make the cut.

22 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Another tough decision is a young person that has stage IV cancer, but didn't reveal what type or any other information. But due to iffy obitability, they probably won't make the cut.

It's colon cancer.

B)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

It's colon cancer.

B)

Bummer, that!

Ah, tis the season of remission. While that will open up some room on the shortlist, the matter of who they are going to get replaced with is a much more difficult matter...

So, I'm trying to look at a person who is very likely not older than 45, but I'm trying to find their birthdate to confirm my suspicion. I did research in a lot of places, and do you know what I got out of it? The day and the month of their birthday, but no year. Kind of frustrated right now...

Anyone else get the feeling that there might be 2 or 3 coupon-busters over the festive? I feel there are possibles still to go and some of them are on my teams for next year.

I'd say 2017 is on a par with 2016 and well, we all know what happened last year...

• Like 1

^ Always, YW. See the Beeb doing their memorial show on Friday, so expect carnage ala 2016's last week of the year.

As for me, I've just twigged one of my locks is actually on the wrong part of the BBC main page, and thus not eligible for the DDP. Bugger that.

Yeah, there was at least one name that probably would've been close to a lock had the local obits been allowed once again...

LOL. Just realised I'd noted down someone as being diagnosed with their illness in April 2017, not April 2015. *takes two years off their life expectancy*

Also, while the local obits only (not the BBC sports page, I must be going blind) person is 100% off the team, another person I rated at 30% QO obit chances previously turns out to have had a few articles of late in The Telegraph. So that was nice.

When you have that person who you wish were younger than they are cause they're such an interesting person...

One of my picks may have died yesterday, if a twitter post is to be believed. I've not seen any confirmation yet, and the account that posted the death doesn't seem to be a hoaxer.

If you think someone has legitimately died, you don’t have to hide it in secret wording, FYI...

I think it's quite clear that he isn't sure, so fair enough not to name the person.

• Like 1

Famous last words but I think I've got it now. Both A and B-Team. There's still room in the B-Team for someone whose life support is scheduled to be turned off on New Year's Eve but I think I can manage without that. I'm not sure I should still add a name coming up in December - like Ricketts and Gilbert last year.