Joey Russ

So How's Your 2018 Shortlist Looking?

Looking at a person currently who seems fucked and has a very small chance of getting a QO imo, but I have no idea of their age at all...

Had a funny moment a few days ago, when I was trying to find out more information about a pick. I kept resoundingly failing to find that information, but in doing so, kept stumbling across useful stats and research websites for work/non-deadpooling purposes.

So thank you, anonymous D-lister who I think might be exaggerating both their claim to fame AND their illness.

Remember when I mentioned that I would be including two FFBI next year? Well, I think I already found the two who are on my provisional lineup at this moment. Nevertheless, I expect at least one of them to die before the end of this year tbh...

On 18.11.2017 at 00:05, gcreptile said:

I'm currently wondering if a (mostly) internet celebrity with about 500.000 followers on YouTube but without wikipedia page will get a QO. Can't make up my mind, but of course, I'll reveal the name.

Name was Jordan Liberty, but he has beaten his cancer... for now....

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Name was Jordan Liberty, but he has beaten his cancer... for now....

Ah, had him on my longlist a previous year, when he was first diagnosed with cancer (he's battled a couple rounds of it now, IIRC). But could never really convince myself he had the requisite e-cred to get an obit.

DDP Team #1 - Done

DDP Theme Team #2- Done

DDP Theme Team #3 - Still being prepared

Hare's Pool - Done - awaiting December post.

Hartlepool DP - Not ready

Deathrace - considering whether to bother entering

Advent Avalanche - Done - ready to submit

Scavenger Hunt - awaiting a deadline for entries

Death By Numbers - Not ready

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

DDP Team #1 - Done

DDP Theme Team #2- Done

DDP Theme Team #3 - Still being prepared

Hare's Pool - Done - awaiting December post.

Advent Avalanche - Done - ready to submit

Death By Numbers - Not ready

DDP team (and any other DDP teams) - waiting Spade's decision on rules etc

Hares Pool - Drafted.

Hartlepool - Waiting to see if Ali is running it again.

Deathrace - 50%

Advent thing - Will just pick someone off the shortlist on the day.

Scavenger - ditto

Death by Numbers - roughly know half of the names.

Alt Obits - See Death by Numbers

Crowdsourced list - Mine was first in.

Deathlist Cup - it's not 2018 yet! :P

So started drafting my 1982 Top of the Pops theme team.

Without looking up health issues or searching at all, I have 12 definites already! So I need to find another 8 plus subs to make up my team. Might not be such a chore after all...

I took a look at a wikipedia article called notable people with pancreatic cancer. I had a look to see if there was a potential hidden pick on that list. 

Turns out that has no help to me at all. In fact, the only 2 people from that list that are currently alive is Charlotte Rae and Stefan Karl Stefansson. God damn it Wikipedia...

21 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

I took a look at a wikipedia article called notable people with pancreatic cancer. I had a look to see if there was a potential hidden pick on that list. 

Turns out that has no help to me at all. In fact, the only 2 people from that list that are currently alive is Charlotte Rae and Stefan Karl Stefansson. God damn it Wikipedia...

What about Liam Miller or Jose Jose?

6 minutes ago, Prophet said:

What about Liam Miller or Jose Jose?

They weren’t on there...

Potential unique? Check.

Big bad pancreatic for over a year? Check.

Only UK mention was a non-QO? Check.

Still looks fine in public appearances? Check.

Then there's the recently diagnosed young'un, where you know nothing of the severity of their cancer... and probably won't until it's too late.

Image result for tough decisions ahead

TBH not very happy with my shortlist at all. Been too busy to do anything but the most cursory form checking. (I don't spend much time worrying about uniques, I figure every single one of them is on Gcreptile's shortlist...) Will be happy with a 4th top 50 spot in a row in 2018.

• Like 1

Ha, high and probably too high praise! I am unable to do a lot of research this month. There will have to be quite an effort after Christmas.

King Michael's death opens up some welcome space but my shortlist is also getting awfully conventional. Now that Nicky Holloway had an improvement. I'm not really happy with it and might have to be forced to pick one or two Shameless types.

Oh there are a number of Shameless type picks out there - more than usual, by looks of it - but I am aiming to give them a wide berth. That's the passive "this dying person just exists, now they are dead" type picks of course...

It's up in the air whether or not I go with any Shameless picks. I prefer not to, but may hold my nose if one is obvious enough. I went for Sims this year because we all knew about him, and Briggs because he was an obvious pick from a coldly logical standpoint (death and obit assured), despite the uncomfortable nature of the pick. Not sure if anyone around right now reaches those levels of no brainers. And when I gamble, I want to do it on people with some sort of claim to fame pre illness (so no "will the Mail remember this inspiring mum six weeks later?" for me).

Like I said before, I would like to aim at a maximum of two FFBI picks, though I think there's only one right now that is really up for serious consideration. The other one I mentioned only has stage 2 cancer apparently but they will definitely obit if they took a turn for the worse imo...

Trying to remember all the major shortlist contenders last year who didn’t make the starting line. I know there was Craig Sager and Piers Sellers off the top of my head, but I suspect there were a others that I missed. I’m asking because I wonder about how many of the typical shortlist names go before the starting line as Johnny Hallyday did...

On 18.11.2017 at 20:04, gcreptile said:

There'll be more. I think many of our short lists will lose about 5 names still.

I've lost three names since then, so far.

6 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Trying to remember all the major shortlist contenders last year who didn’t make the starting line. I know there was Craig Sager and Piers Sellers off the top of my head, but I suspect there were a others that I missed. I’m asking because I wonder about how many of the typical shortlist names go before the starting line as Johnny Hallyday did...

Piers Sellers, Craig Sager, Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, Gregorio Alvarez, Bruce DeHaven, Alphonze Mouzon, Rachel Owen, that Oxbridge student that wanted to go to Disneyland, the Man City fan guy, Barrelhouse Chuck, and AA GIll would have all featured heavily. I suspect Greg Lake would have appeared on one or two of the top contenders too as there were rumours about his health.

I'm forgetting loads. It is what it is. 2015 into 2016 and 2013 into 2014 were quite spectacularly bad for this sort of thing too, iirc. Contenders just pick the next hospice dweller, and the rest of us go....

wait for it....

"Oh well, Bernard Hepton's still alive, better pick him!"

And you know what? He is and all! :)

• Like 1

Always a nice feeling when you do some research on a name you never thought a lot about, and then find some info that makes them a serious contender for a spot in the final 20.

1 hour ago, Death Impends said:

Always a nice feeling when you do some research on a name you never thought a lot about, and then find some info that makes them a serious contender for a spot in the final 20.

Right out of the Spade school! :lol::salute:

I put together my shortlist in some free time earlier. 70 names, but once I remove those who wont get acceptable BBC obits, those who I don't think will get any obits, and those who are too 50/50 for my liking, it'll be considerably lower.

On the plus side, found lots of interesting names for my proposed theme team, including some I am actually surprised qualify for it. Always nice. That theme team might actually out score Pan Breed in 2018, tbh.

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 16:32, YoungWillz said:

DDP Team #1 - Done

DDP Theme Team #2- Done

DDP Theme Team #3 - Still being prepared Done

Hare's Pool - Done - awaiting December post. Posted.

Advent Avalanche - Done - ready to submit Submitted

Death By Numbers - Not ready Submitted

Deathlist Prediction Game - not ready

Above Updated.

• Like 1

Just having a skim through the longlist I compiled earlier this year that obviously stopped when I made a decision to host the 2018 DDP. I think I halted in March/April time. Alexander Paul, Mitchell Henry... what great picks they would have been if they'd managed another six months.