Sign in to follow this  
RadGuy

Shaun's Death By Numbers 2018

26 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Simon Ricketts - On paper, DI's best choice? Small tip: The obit might only appear in a blog form from the Guardian Night team. Not even sure if the blog format counts as a QO. He did win some blogging award lately though and the next cancer attack will kill him within days

Jacqui Forster got her obit via a blog (though an actual Guardian article did show up for her later) and Les Mutrie got his obit via a live feed, so yeah, unless Spade changes the rules, blogs will count. 

It’s interesting to see how this ends. Still some good picks from both ends, and I’m pretty sure the title will go to one of you two, but looking at my team, I think I might be able to get third place, especially if Thuy Thanh Truong dies and obits. And yeah, it looks as though Stuart Fraser is in remission at the moment so probably not a hit this year...

Quite the nice analysis. Definitely glad this pool is free-for-all again after the toned-down previous year, picking 50 names instead of 20 was what made this one fun. :)

I have to admit Woodward got on via some convoluted reasoning: Throw in a few old people I wanted to pick somewhere, but couldn't find any room for elsewhere, as I already had all my other non-DDP deadpool teams locked in. Dave Bartholomew and Denis Norden also got in via this method, but I swapped them out (and into the Poker Pool). Woodward was saved from being transferred out since she's a little younger, has actual severe illness, and there were enough too-healthy cancer picks floating around that could be swapped out instead.

49 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

(who was that female UK author with lung cancer, writing extensively about her plight?)

Jenny Diski?

To Joey: Yes, you have the differentials to at least potentially reach 3rd place. If I may say so after a minute of thinking.

Cpt Chorizo, too, but maybe 1-2 fewer than you, and more unusual picks. But he is currently ahead and that counts a lot now.

Same goes for msc, but he hasn't got much room to improve with all those non-obits.

To challenge DI and me the field needs about 4-5 "surplus hits" (300 pts, 200pts for msc) Better start doing so now. But I see no team where they can be realistically expected right now. Think we're mostly through with the "good pick and valuable differential" phase. Kamala? Dynamite Kid? Michael Schumacher...not many of These names left.

At DI: Ah yes, thanks!

And yes, the Death By Numbers is a good one ;). I mean, you kind of have more or less about 50 names anyway from which to choose your final 20. Not that much more effort needed, but you do get different situations and people in there.

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Jacqui Forster got her obit via a blog (though an actual Guardian article did show up for her later) and Les Mutrie got his obit via a live feed, so yeah, unless Spade changes the rules, blogs will count. 

It’s interesting to see how this ends. Still some good picks from both ends, and I’m pretty sure the title will go to one of you two, but looking at my team, I think I might be able to get third place, especially if Thuy Thanh Truong dies and obits. And yeah, it looks as though Stuart Fraser is in remission at the moment so probably not a hit this year...

Just for the record, Guardian blogs aren't actual blogs. They are article series by recurring writers which get called blogs to be "down with the kids". As they are actual articles in the actual paper, they'd count, much like if Clive James mentioned the death of a colleague in his reviews imo.

• Like 1

Update #20

Hits:

25 August - John McCain (b. 1936) - YoungWillz, The Unknown Man, msc, John Key, Sean, drol, Joey Russ, Wormfarmer (J), Book, Grim Up North, Torva Messor, Captain Chorizo, Banana, mr.whit, DeathImpends, DevonDeathTrip, Prophet

26 August - Neil Simon (b. 1927) - The Unknown Man, drol

2 September - Conway Savage (b. 1960) - gcreptile

6 September - Burt Reynolds (b. 1936) - YoungWillz, The Unknown Man

Scoreboard:

gcreptile 1240
DeathImpends 1212
msc 1056
Captain Chorizo 951
drol 925
Grim Up North 925
Joey Russ 924
Book 888
Sean 783
Prophet 773
DevonDeathTrip 764
FixedBusiness 575
Banana 563
The Unknown Man 557
Wormfarmer 498
Toast 394
Torva Messor 390
John Key 350
YoungWillz 294
Gooseberry Crumble 187
Grigori 115
Bibliogryphon 113
mr.whit 79

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

drol 925
Grim Up North 925
Joey Russ 924

The pain...

• Haha 1

On 25/08/2018 at 16:09, msc said:

A wash? I'll have you know I'll cut the lead down to a mere 156 points! :lol:

Right, let's see the differentials between you 2 and the "people's underdog" (TM), msc. :D

7. msc

David Cervinski,  David DiChiera,  Latham Grant (J), Clive James,Steve Kopacz, Vanessa Lafaye (if she gets that obit),Philomena Lynott, Kulsoom Nawaz, Linda Nolan, Peter Overton, Carl Piddington, Mike Pintek, Bishop Francis Quinn,

Hmm, not the best hand in the world, I'll be honest!

Hand just got better.

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is to read that response from a DL professional like yourself?  C'mon man....  :bombguy:

Update #21

Hits:

11 September - Kulsoom Nawaz (b. 1950) - msc, drol, Joey Russ, gcreptile, Torva Messor, Captain Chorizo, DeathImpends

18 September - David DiChiera (b. 1935) - msc

19 September - Denis Norden (b. 1922) - YoungWillz, The Unknown Man, John Key, drol

20 September - John Cunliffe (b. 1933) - Gooseberry Crumble

Scoreboard:

gcreptile 1290
DeathImpends 1272
msc 1141
Captain Chorizo 1001
drol 997

Joey Russ 974
Grim Up North 925
Book 888
Sean 783
Prophet 773
DevonDeathTrip 764

The Unknown Man 579
FixedBusiness 575
Banana 563
Wormfarmer 498

Torva Messor 440
Toast 394
John Key 372
YoungWillz 316
Gooseberry Crumble 220
Grigori 115
Bibliogryphon 113
mr.whit 79

Edit: Apologies to those with Aznavour, his death was announced while I was in the middle of writing this update. I'll "roll him over" to the next update.

• Like 4

Phew, does my grip on the lead end with the next update, or is another surprise strike in store?

This competition is a pile of shit.

Update #22

Hits:

16 September - Maartin Allcock (b. 1957) - msc, drol, Grim Up North, Captain Chorizo, DeathImpends

1 October - Charles Aznavour (b. 1924) - YoungWillz, Torva Messor

11 October - Doug Ellis (b. 1924) - John Key

30 October - James 'Whitey' Bulger (b. 1929) - Wormfarmer

Scoreboard:

DeathImpends 1329

gcreptile 1290
msc 1198
Captain Chorizo 1058
drol 1054
Grim Up North 982

Joey Russ 974
Book 888
Sean 783
Prophet 773
DevonDeathTrip 764

The Unknown Man 579
FixedBusiness 575
Banana 563
Wormfarmer 527

Torva Messor 464

John Key 396
Toast 394
YoungWillz 340
Gooseberry Crumble 220
Grigori 115
Bibliogryphon 113
mr.whit 79

Phew! After a quiet month, we finally get another hit with Whitey Bulger, enough for an update.

Other than that, a late obit for Allcock came in, and it has big implications. With just over 2 months left, DeathImpends takes the lead again.

• Like 4

Devin Lima a hit for numerous players here.

Update #23

Hits:

6 November - Ted Mack (b. 1933) - Grigori, Grim Up North, Captain Chorizo

12 November - Stan Lee (b. 1922) - John Key, mr.whit

21 November - Devin Lima (b. 1977) -  Fixed Business, The Unknown Man, John Key, Sean, drol, Joey Russ, Book, Grim Up North, gcreptile, Captain Chorizo, Banana, Toast, DeathImpends, DevonDeathTrip, Prophet

Scoreboard:

DeathImpends 1406

gcreptile 1367
msc 1198
Captain Chorizo 1168
drol 1131
Grim Up North 1092

Joey Russ 1051
Book 965
Sean 860
Prophet 850
DevonDeathTrip 841

The Unknown Man 656
FixedBusiness 652
Banana 640
Wormfarmer 527

John Key 495
Toast 471

Torva Messor 464
YoungWillz 340
Gooseberry Crumble 220
Grigori 148
Bibliogryphon 113
mr.whit 101

I have an announcement to make.

After a year of running this pool, taking over from the legendary Shaunie, I have decided to retire. I am going off to university next summer, so I'm not sure if I'll have the time or means to visit this forum as often. Also, I will try and visit less often in general next year - I'm too young to make death such a big part of my internet life, ha!

If you'd like to be the next host, post here. I'd like to have a new host established by the end of this weekend.

I will continue the updates till the end of the year, of course.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well, first of all, many thanks for these regular updates and the very professional management of this huuuge pool.

Secondly, I could offer hosting services.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's official! @gcreptile is your new host for the 2019 competition. A big round of applause for him please. :clap:

I'll save my corny retirement speech for the end of the year, haha.

• Thanks 8

3 minutes ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

It's official! @gcreptile is your new host for the 2019 competition. A big round of applause for him please. :clap:

I'll save my corny retirement speech for the end of the year, haha.

Thanks! I intend to open up the new thread on the 2nd of December, at latest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2