ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

It truly costs not a cent to be kind.

Check this out.

D07A4B9A-91EB-4306-B0F5-53AD16264000.png

• Like 6

Very sad news from the D (I should start a Detroit thread, just to get some people's goats.  But there's plenty of activity)

Russ Gibb who owned the iconic Grande Ballroom in Detroit has passed away at 87.   Many a late 60s and 1970s band rolled through there.  In fact it was a coming of age to play the Grande (pronounced Grandy).
RIP
SC

Here's a quick read: Russ Gibb Remembered.

EDIT - Gibb is the one who started the 'Paul Is Dead' rumour re: Beatles.

• Sad 1

Genesis P-orridge did appear on a recent podcast. Actually doesn’t sound too bad at the moment, although if you read the background P-orridge did go through a really gruesome surgery that the anesthesia wasn’t handled properly...

• Like 1

Dave Cocks of coldwave duo "Throw Down Bones" has died it seems.

For someone who is surely a gold standard future DL pick, John Cooper Clarke doesn't have his own thread (?) but was on Desert Island Discs earlier! Sounds OK, all things considering, but bloody hell he's aged a fair bit in the last few years

R3SHKLsr?format=jpg&name=small

Guardian has his bits on heroin from the show.

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth had to cancel a tour for ‘health problems’. She had a breast cancer diagnosis in 2011. Hm...

On 21/07/2019 at 17:46, msc said:

For someone who is surely a gold standard future DL pick, John Cooper Clarke doesn't have his own thread (?) but was on Desert Island Discs earlier! Sounds OK, all things considering, but bloody hell he's aged a fair bit in the last few years

R3SHKLsr?format=jpg&name=small

Guardian has his bits on heroin from the show.

Aye, all told any smackhead that sees his current age has to qualify as a success, of sorts and fair play to JCC for: 1 - Being honest about the attractions of heroin 2 - Cleaning up without the huge support team available to the likes of Keith Richard

I literally don't understand for what this thread was made. :huh::blink::unsure:

I guess in a sense it’s focused on people from the post punk and new wave genres.

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I literally don't understand for what this thread was made. :huh::blink::unsure:

Aw, man - do yourself a favour. Start with Joy Division and follow the streaming suggestions - basically, there's stuff that was later than punk and before the horribly cheerful MTV tossers turned up. Much of it dark and inspired in equal amounts and some of it amongst the best "popular" music ever made by anyone anywhere. Listen without prejudice and then take on board that some of those responsible for these sounds smoked, drank, took drugs and were born in or around 1960.

Of course, it's helpful if you were born in northern England - but not everyone's that lucky!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

I dont understand either, but more in a figurative way.

2 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aw, man - do yourself a favour. Start with Joy Division and follow the streaming suggestions - basically, there's stuff that was later than punk and before the horribly cheerful MTV tossers turned up. Much of it dark and inspired in equal amounts and some of it amongst the best "popular" music ever made by anyone anywhere. Listen without prejudice and then take on board that some of those responsible for these sounds smoked, drank, took drugs and were born in or around 1960.

Of course, it's helpful if you were born in northern England - but not everyone's that lucky!

Look, I was around at the time, I know the era.

I can only think this thread is for folk who weren't that successful, maybe niche, underground or cult. Maybe even folk who were in bands as precursors to more successful bands. But I'm guessing because the lead in the OP suggests a whole lot of what I'd call pop stars. It's so bloody vague I'd never be able to drop a name here.

Anyway, it seems some know better....good luck with it.

I just did a search on Cooper Clarke, found this thread, is all.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Look, I was around at the time, I know the era.

I can only think this thread is for folk who weren't that successful, maybe niche, underground or cult. Maybe even folk who were in bands as precursors to more successful bands. But I'm guessing because the lead in the OP suggests a whole lot of what I'd call pop stars. It's so bloody vague I'd never be able to drop a name here.

Anyway, it seems some know better....good luck with it.

Fair points and I guess there's a certain amount of drift in people starting a thread and then it getting taken over by others who throw in examples the thread starter never intended. One thing that's great about this and the folk thread is the tonnage of names in there largely unknown to dead poolers but followed by arty intellectual types and therefore decent q/o chances in the broadsheets. So, for example, Lol Tolhurst could - just about - be claimed as a member of a pop group, he belongs in this thread, he could walk down a high street largely unbothered for selfies and he'd surely be a q/o job as and when (to the best of my limited knowledge he's fine btw).

Some threads do spiral out of control. I mean, I started Deadio Times with the hope of us all tipping each other about decent upcoming death and related stuff on radio and television and it's morphed into discussions on marginal broadcast figures. I'm deeply offended, frankly, and have barely been able to bring myself to post hereabouts for the last ten years.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Don't think I can stand another swing and a miss.

Stay well, Peter, don't want to be posting that vid of She's In Panties Parties just yet.

6 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

For invasion of their hollow hills
The music hold and Oberon fill
Is surely recommended not
For fear of death in fear of rot

13 hours ago, ObakeFilter said:

Worried for a minute there - until I realised it was the Bauhaus frontman and not the 38 year old current manager of Annan Athletic who holds the record number of outfield appearances for Carlisle United

On 14/08/2019 at 16:37, ObakeFilter said:

Mr. Murphy issues a statement.  Had two stents put in.  Considers himself fully recovered.

On 09/02/2019 at 15:28, gcreptile said:

Another P-Orridge health update:

Sweepstake territory?

Genesis P-Orridge interview. Still completely dying.

2 minutes ago, drol said:

Genesis P-Orridge interview. Still completely dying.

Yes, grim news in there. Soon, he'll have the final crisis... but when?

If he makes it to 2020, pretty much the safest pick available. 

I think P-orridge would be a really good name for the Deathlist, ngl. Kind of follows the cult music name vibe like Gord Downie, Mark E Smith, and Johnny Clegg...

• Like 1