ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I think P-orridge would be a really good name for the Deathlist, ngl. Kind of follows the cult music name vibe like Gord Downie, Mark E Smith, and Johnny Clegg...

Hell yeah, the one positive being a few more people might investigate his - ermm - singular talents. Here's what's arguably his greatest hit:

• Like 1

How many bogus music 'sub genres' are they going to come up with?
Synth Punk?  WTF is that?  He was 29 so whatever the fuck it is it's a new phenomenon the past 6 years or so.  I have no idea what it is, but let's quit calling anything 'punk' which died its death in 1990 or so.  I'm sure many many bands were playing whatever the fuck 'synth punk' is back in 1984.  
Listen, I know you people age 20-30 weren't around, and you want something you can call your own.  But guess what, all this music today is rebooted/repackaged crap we listened to way back when we were partying with your PARENTS.
There's no such thing as synth punk ffs. 
Stop The Insanity!

hqdefault.jpg

Update on Genesis P-Orridge. They aren't doing well, but maybe stabley unstable?

While I don't think the classification of "Synth-Punk" is commonly used now or in the past, bands who happen to use Synth's and were also influenced by Post Punk or New Wave artists  such as Joy Division,The Cure,Gang Of Four,Depeche Mode etc is not a Millenial fad or whatever.   Anyway everything has been repackaged forever,a lot of Canonized Boomer Era bands were just appropriating Black Blues Musicians from earlier era's and in the case of Led Zeppelin just outright stealing other peoples work.

6 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

How many bogus music 'sub genres' are they going to come up with?
Synth Punk?  WTF is that?  He was 29 so whatever the fuck it is it's a new phenomenon the past 6 years or so.  I have no idea what it is, but let's quit calling anything 'punk' which died its death in 1990 or so.  I'm sure many many bands were playing whatever the fuck 'synth punk' is back in 1984.  
Listen, I know you people age 20-30 weren't around, and you want something you can call your own.  But guess what, all this music today is rebooted/repackaged crap we listened to way back when we were partying with your PARENTS.
There's no such thing as synth punk ffs. 
Stop The Insanity!

hqdefault.jpg

So, try Bandcamp for a few minutes and explore the tags. It's everyone for themselves genre invention these days. But you can find all kinds of stuff. Most recent download at MPFC Towers being Bulawayo Blue Yodel - pretty much what you'd expect; straight old school country - done by Africans

8 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Update on Genesis P-Orridge. They aren't doing well, but maybe stabley unstable?

Fuckin hell - dying can take a long time these days.

20 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

With that update (35% capacity lungs, chemo not working, blood numbers on the decline) I give Porridge about 6 weeks to 4 months left, on the Eric Lubbock scale.

Could be a huge Drop 40 pick in 2020 if they make it that far.

Admittedly I’d rather have her see 2020 at this point rather than dying this year, especially if things stay in the situation they are right (with no more deaths on DI team and Spicer almost certainly not obitting). :unsure:

17 hours ago, msc said:

With that update (35% capacity lungs, chemo not working, blood numbers on the decline) I give Porridge about 6 weeks to 4 months left, on the Eric Lubbock scale.

Could be a huge Drop 40 pick in 2020 if they make it that far.

Oh gosh yeah, I think she's the biggest one right now to look out for put of anyone off or on the DL.

• Confused 1

On 11/10/2019 at 10:49, Grim Up North said:

Que sera, eh?

But she died in the end!

Genesis P-Orridge updated. They slipped on the floor :( (NSFW content in succeeding pics, perhaps..)

Must’ve had too much damaged goods...

• Haha 1

Things are not looking too good for Matthew Seligman, Soft Boys' bassist.

Didn't see that being posted anywhere, The The's Matt Johnson has been hospitilized a few days ago, suffering from a chest infection. Not Corona related if anyone is wondering.

On 01/02/2020 at 17:22, ObakeFilter said:

Andy Gill is dead.

Well, drummer for American punk band The Misfits, Joey Image, who had been battling liver cancer, is being reported dead all over Twitter.

The Hare's Pool awaits an actual report of some kind.

I do like his alleged participation in The Mary Tyler Whores. That tickles me, that band name.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Well, drummer for American punk band The Misfits, Joey Image, who had been battling liver cancer, is being reported dead all over Twitter.

The Hare's Pool awaits an actual report of some kind.

I do like his alleged participation in The Mary Tyler Whores. That tickles me, that band name.

This good enough?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

Well yeah, but I'm looking for a date of death. Most seem to indicate today, but I'd like that in a report. I'll not jump in yet in case something comes along soonish.

Thanks, Joey.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Well yeah, but I'm looking for a date of death. Most seem to indicate today, but I'd like that in a report. I'll not jump in yet in case something comes along soonish.

Thanks, Joey.

Wikipedia has his death as June 1st, so unless something else comes along that’s probably the date to use for scoring

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Wikipedia has his death as June 1st, so unless something else comes along that’s probably the date to use for scoring

FTR, now that he’s gone, I think Joey Image is a great name change for you, @Joey Russ.  I’m 100% serious.

• Like 1