ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

16 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Do you actually have a point?

Yes. Newbs get wrapped round the knuckles for lazy ass style posting but I hold everyone to the same minimal standard. You and me have both been here for ~15 years and we know the drill and should set an example. That’s all.

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yes. Newbs get wrapped round the knuckles for lazy ass style posting but I hold everyone to the same minimal standard. You and me have both been here for ~15 years and we know the drill and should set an example. That’s all.

I don't give newbies a tough time, in fact I help them out if they're struggling with a source. 

And when I hear about someone passing away, my sources are from those connected professionally with the deceased.

• Like 1

I would have bet my life there was a post about Stevie D Davis and his liver cancer a few years back.  Maybe it was a name on some list I held back, seeing as I know Keith Jackson of the Glass Heroes and probably heard about Davis’s plight there.  
Speaking of life, Steve Davis doesn’t have any.  Age 64.

SC

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

I would have bet my life there was a post about Stevie D Davis and his liver cancer a few years back.  Maybe it was a name on some list I held back, seeing as I know Keith Jackson of the Glass Heroes and probably heard about Davis’s plight there.  
Speaking of life, Steve Davis doesn’t have any.  Age 64.

SC

Uh, my lifeline in the Cup.

Jack Terricloth, who has led Brooklyn's World/Inferno Friendship Society for 25 years, has died at age 50. 

Born Pietro Ventantonio in 1970, he was first a member of Bridgewater, NJ punk band Sticks and Stones in the late '80s and early '90s before forming World/Inferno F.S. The band's first album was 1997's The True Story of the Bridgewater Astral League and they'd go on to release six more albums, the most recent of which was 2020's All Borders Are Porous to Cats. Jack was the sole constant in the group, which saw over 40 members pass through over the years.

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/rest-in-peace-jack-terricloth-of-worldinferno-friendship-society/

• Like 1

David Gamble, who was one-half of late-'70s/early-'80s Athens, GA post-punk duo The Method Actors, has died after a battle with cancer. News came via Vanessa Briscoe Hay of fellow Athens, GA band Pylon, who wrote, "As some of you know, David Gamble passed away night before last. He had been fighting cancer. Sending condolences to his friends and family, as well as former bandmates. May he Rest In Peace."

https://www.brooklynvegan.com/david-gamble-of-the-method-actors-has-died/

• Like 2

Pyotr Mamonov, one of the most important figures in popular culture in the late Soviet and post-Soviet era and founding member of Russian post-punk band Zvuki Mu, died on July 15 from complications of coronavirus. He was 70 years old.

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2021/07/15/musician-actor-and-writer-pyotr-mamonov-is-dead-at-age-70-a74534

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grande Pablo said:

Olli Wisdom from goth pioneers (quoting the post) Specimen.

https://www.facebook.com/909647169098003/posts/4659655330763816/?d=n

Earlier he'd been a genuine, if minor, pioneer on the punk scene as vocalist with The Unwanted, who appeared on one of 1977's first punk albums, the live compilation The Roxy London WC2.

Just now, ObakeFilter said:

Relevant to here as well.

Yeah, this fucker is a bugger to find. First time the search box has let me down in ages.

• Haha 1

Julz Sale, founder and vocalist with Delta 5, reportedly dead: https://louderthanwar.com/julz-sale-delta-5-founder-rip/

Edit: Apparently died in Thailand, where she was a teacher of English, of cancer.

Part of the Rock Against Racism movement in the 80s, they weren't particularly commercially successful at the time, though John Peel did have a session with them (no, not that way).

However, you will probably have heard their single Mind Your Own Business on an iPhone advert:

• Like 1

Wait, that was an 80s band? I assumed it was some late 00s shitters like The Go Team or New Young Pony Club.

Just now, Spade_Cooley said:

Wait, that was an 80s band? I assumed it was some late 00s shitters like The Go Team or New Young Pony Club.

I believe the tune itself was 1979 actually, but yeah, flopped over into the 1980s.

Delta 5 were absolutely a cusp of the 80s, post-punk band. They formed as students in Leeds, and it's probably just good luck that none of their three female members got knocked on the head by the Yorkshire Ripper. After their early singles on Rough Trade they signed to a major label, but they weren't cut out for the big time and broke up.

Incidentally their drummer Kelvin Knight is dead too.

• Like 1

On 23/09/2021 at 14:56, Ulitzer95 said:

You just wanted one these:clivedunn:, didn't you?

yes please

• Like 1

Darrell Bath, founder member of The Crybabys and sometime guitarist/songwriter with The Vibrators, UK Subs, Dogs D'Amour, apparently dead: 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Russell Hardy has passed away at the age of 80.

Russell was Ian Dury's co-writer and musical director for Kilburn and The High Roads 

244612427_10160148624819575_6314800957927308986_n.jpg

• Like 1

Rest in Peace. 

Interesting story with the name of that band:

The band was named after a tiny African primate the band found very cute called "bush babies", and a kind of fish the band liked called a "neon tetra" (taking one word from each of those names.)

• Like 1