ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

1 minute ago, Phantom said:

Only thing I have heard is that he's been having a lot of heart issues 

Hmm, big guy and always has been, who tends not to hold back on stage. 

I tend to take them in small doses but I love The Exploited when I do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

I haven't seen them in 30 years. Last time was a double headliner with Anti Nowhere League 

7 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Leonard G. Phillips (The Dickies) and Charlie Harper (UK Subs) have had similar heart issues recently 

13 minutes ago, Phantom said:

Leonard G. Phillips (The Dickies) and Charlie Harper (UK Subs) have had similar heart issues recently 

Punks, man...beer and fags merchants to a man! 

It's the acid-heads like Dave Brock of Hawkwind who are still standing.

• Like 1

Benjamin Bossi, the saxophonist for San Francisco new wave act Romeo Void, died Tuesday, Dec. 13. He was 69.

The cause of death was complications from Alzheimer’s disease, according to the band’s bassist and founding member Frank Zincavage.

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/benjamin-bossi-saxophonist-for-romeo-void-dies-at-59

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Punk-era music writer Jane Suck deceased, as noted by her Sounds colleague Jon Savage.

It really sucks to be her right now…

• Haha 3

Eddie Edwards of The Vibrators has stated that they will no longer be doing live shows. However, it appears that Nigel Bennett is continuing to tour under the band's name. 

• Like 1

Twitter reporting that Tom Verlaine has died…

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 2

39 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Twitter reporting that Tom Verlaine has died…

His Facebook page has comments agreeing with Twitter 

NYTimes obit https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/arts/music/tom-verlaine-influential-guitarist-and-songwriter-dies-at-73.html

• Sad 1

Gets a Guardian breaking news alert but I can’t say I have ever heard of him or the band before. 

55 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

His Facebook page has comments agreeing with Twitter 

NYTimes obit https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/28/arts/music/tom-verlaine-influential-guitarist-and-songwriter-dies-at-73.html

That's terrible news. I thought it was a bit sus when Television had cancelled their tour dates with Billy Idol in October due to "illness". Now I'll never get to see them! Great guitarist, great songwriter. Marquee Moon is one of the great albums. RIP. :rip:

• Like 1

Terrible news. It's going to be a bad few years for our idols who are getting old. 

*whispers* I actually prefer Richard Lloyd's solos on 'Marquee Moon' but obviously Verlaine was a colossus.

33 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Gets a Guardian breaking news alert but I can’t say I have ever heard of him or the band before. 

I can understand how that may be.  He (and Television) was as important to the New York punk underground as the early innovators were in London/U.K.  Maybe not Sex Pistols important, but no far fae it. 

SC

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

I can understand how that may be.  He (and Television) was as important to the New York punk underground as the early innovators were in London/U.K.  Maybe not Sex Pistols important, but no far fae it. 

SC

Punk is not that mainstream in the Uk - the majority of the Uk could only name the Sex Pistols if asked to name a punk band. 

8 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Punk is not that mainstream in the Uk - the majority of the Uk could only name the Sex Pistols if asked to name a punk band. 

Thus the word ‘underground’. 
That said, we may have differing ideas of what qualifies as a punk band.  I personally do not accept the term ‘post punk’ because the bands wiki chooses to call ‘post’ punk I would say were ‘right in the thick of things’ primary punk. (By wiki’s standard, punk was from 1977-78 lol whatever). That’s all I’ll say, I don’t want to hijack Verlaine’s moment; was just pointing out his place in music history to you. 

SC

31 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Punk is the antithesis of mainstream. Despite your name, you're too young to have been around during the punk era.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, time said:

Punk is the antithesis of mainstream. Despite your name, you're too young to have been around during the punk era.

True. Plus my parents both detest punk. 

35 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

True. Plus my parents both detest punk. 

They're probably too old. (j/k :D).

Not everyone's cup of tea; there were some punk bands I didn't/don't like but I wouldn't have called Television punk; (nor Blondie, The Ramones, or Green Day, all of which/whom I have seen described as punk).

9 hours ago, time said:

They're probably too old. (j/k :D).

Not everyone's cup of tea; there were some punk bands I didn't/don't like but I wouldn't have called Television punk; (nor Blondie, The Ramones, or Green Day, all of which/whom I have seen described as punk).

I don’t think Blondie is anywhere near punk. My parents like them.

The mid-70s New York rock scene was one of the starting points of punk, but most of the best-known acts that came out of it, like Patti Smith, Television, Talking Heads, Suicide and Blondie, weren't "punk" musically. On the other hand the Ramones were one of the defining bands of punk.

• Like 1