Jump to content
ObakeFilter

Passed-Punks & No-Wavers

Recommended Posts

Their two hits were derivations of Eddie & the Hot Rods and the Clash respectively, but a couple of cracking singles nonetheless.

 

It was all downhill after he was outed as really being called Nicky Waitrose.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Cross-posting report of Nicky Tesco's death here.

 

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0856254/

Their former guitarist Nigel Bennett confirmed the news.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Belgian EBM legends Front 242 canceled a pair of planned concerts in their native country this weekend after Jean-Luc De Meyer was hospitalized, announcing in a short Facebook post that the frontman’s “health is worrying.”

SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jordan Mooney, a model for Vivienne Westwood and one of those credited with creating the W10 London Punk look, and who worked with Adam & The Ants, appeared in Derek Jarman films, has died, aged 66.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being played by Maisie Williams in the upcoming Sex Pistols TV drama fwiw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Being played by Maisie Williams in the upcoming Sex Pistols TV drama fwiw.

 

 

Yeah, that's good casting

 

A genuine dilemma for those of us monitoring music deaths for the purpose of doing a one-off "List of the Lost" show. Worthy of a mention but more for where she was and how visible she became. That said, she's on lead vocal here, so that's it sorted and we wouldn't want to miss her, 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

 

Yeah, that's good casting

 

A genuine dilemma for those of us monitoring music deaths for the purpose of doing a one-off "List of the Lost" show. Worthy of a mention but more for where she was and how visible she became. That said, she's on lead vocal here, so that's it sorted and we wouldn't want to miss her, 

 

 


Now we know who to blame.  That’s fahkin awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:


Now we know who to blame.  That’s fahkin awful. 

 

 

It's spirited and very much of its time - a neccessary reaction to how seriously prog rock was taking itself a year or two before

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, time said:

Jordan Mooney, a model for Vivienne Westwood and one of those credited with creating the W10 London Punk look, and who worked with Adam & The Ants, appeared in Derek Jarman films, has died, aged 66.

 

Really sad news. A true trailblazer and icon. Another of my childhood icons gone. RIP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Chris Bailey, of Aussie punk band The Saints reportedly dead: https://www.clashmusic.com/news/the-saints-chris-bailey-has-died

 

Yes, they even made Top Of The Pops, hitting a peak of #34 in the UK Charts with This Perfect Day in July 1977.


Damn - my favourite Aussie band.

Best cover song ever and that’s that.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, that's sad news. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Albin Julius, mastermind of the industrial band Der Blutharsch (... And The Infinite Church Of The Leading Hand) has passed away yesterday at the age of 55.

https://www.spqrlabel.com/albin/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(As noted elsewhere) Gord Lewis, founding guitarist for the Canadian punk band Teenage Head, has died. He was 65. Lewis is believed to be the third homicide victim in the city of Hamilton, Ontario, in 2022 and may have been deceased for some time. His son, Jonathan Lewis, is in custody and has been charged with second-degree murder.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9044029/man-60s-dead-homicide-central-hamilton-aug-2022/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wanted to share an update on David Thomas from Pere Ubu cause I saw he was mentioned in the first post. He said in an interview from 2020 that he almost died twice, and he needs kidney dialysis three times a week. Saw him performing with Pere Ubu somewhere in autumn 2019. He was driven in a wheelchair to the stage, and during the gig just sitting on a stool, drinking straight from a wine bottle and howling at his band members. Really impressive gig nonetheless (they did - apart from encores for which they didn't leave the stage cause it would take 10 minutes - only songs from their last album, which was even for their standards pretty gloomy and hard to get into.

 

But what I wanted to share.. During covid he got really busy with remastering his own albums and hosting his own patreon show which aired once a week, but 2 months go it was suddenly very silent on their socials. According to the patreon he tested postive for covid at the end of june and looks like there haven't been many updates since then.

 

And let's end with some banger from their commercial period

 

 

 

 

edit: The Guardian had an interview with him earlier this year in which he said 'contacting covid would be fatal', so maybe he cheated death once again..

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/08/2022 at 17:45, alt obits guy said:

(As noted elsewhere) Gord Lewis, founding guitarist for the Canadian punk band Teenage Head, has died. He was 65. Lewis is believed to be the third homicide victim in the city of Hamilton, Ontario, in 2022 and may have been deceased for some time. His son, Jonathan Lewis, is in custody and has been charged with second-degree murder.

 

https://globalnews.ca/news/9044029/man-60s-dead-homicide-central-hamilton-aug-2022/

 

 


Teenage Head played the Detroit market regularly in the early 1980s  iirc.  Surely I saw him when I saw them a couple times.  ‘Gord’ is a queer name and is thus used exclusively by Canucks lmao.  
SC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Fier
Anton Fier (drummer/producer) with the Feelies, Bob Mould, Pere Ubu, The Golden Palominos, etc. passed away (possibly in August).
The news was shared by musician Syd Straw's private facebook.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lilham said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Fier
Anton Fier (drummer/producer) with the Feelies, Bob Mould, Pere Ubu, The Golden Palominos, etc. passed away (possibly in August).
The news was shared by musician Syd Straw's private facebook.

 

A very fine drummer.   His work on Bob Mould's cheery album Black Sheets of Rain is something to behold. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teresa Taylor from the Butthole Surfers in hospice:

From Teresa Taylor:

"Many of you know I am in hospice, end stage. Cheryl Curtice is a godsend. She tends to me without my verbal abuse driving her away ( so far ). No more hospitals. I love being at home. I have an RN Nurse, oxygen, and weak -ass meds. Basket full of WHATEVERS. It sucks, but laughter ensues. I love ya'll. Kiss. Kiss. Morbid. Surreal. Wooo... This is the way step inside. Check you on the flipside."

She also played the woman who tried to sell Madonna's pap smear in Slacker, and appears on the poster. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacker_(film)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use