Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

8 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't really care for this trend of having a B Team.  It seems to be a way of avoiding the discipline of having to keep to 20 names, and reducing the danger of 'risky' picks.  Theme teams are fine, but two 'serious' teams seems a bit greedy to me.

It's not really a trend people have been doing it for a while - here's the FFBI types with a good chance and here's what I'd have picked if the rules were more sensible. Haven't bothered myself as I've never been one to pick FFBI types anyway.

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

I don't really care for this trend of having a B Team.  It seems to be a way of avoiding the discipline of having to keep to 20 names, and reducing the danger of 'risky' picks.  Theme teams are fine, but two 'serious' teams seems a bit greedy to me.

Oh I assure you it isn't at all serious. Well, mine isn't. Despite this year's one doing surprisingly well, it's mostly just a bunch of interesting people I don't think will get obits, but it's nice to give them a wee run out. Sort of a theme team without the theme...

For example, one person on my B team is properly renowned in their own field, but has no chance of a QO now. This is quite sad, but hell, I've picked 'em anyway and if they do get a QO, that'll be a nice bonus. And if they live, even nicer, of course.

11 minutes ago, Deathray said:

It's not really a trend people have been doing it for a while - here's the FFBI types with a good chance and here's what I'd have picked if the rules were more sensible. Haven't bothered myself as I've never been one to pick FFBI types anyway.

It doesn't necessarily involve FFBI people, although of course they may feature.

Took one final look at my teams for next year, and then I sent them now. I'm very excited for my second year of this yet quite nervous. 

And once again, thank you for all your hard work Spade for next year. Without you, the DDP might not be around today, but it's certainly good to see that it's still going now. :) 

M6(Tolled) are back with a few tweaks.  Severn Trent have done well this year keeping the water clean.

This year will be the first time I've put in a 2nd themed team - might be richer pickings from this more specific grouping!

Thanks to everyone organising the DDP & this forum for the effort & fun.

• Like 1

Right, excluding myself cause I'm not that selfish, here are the teams I will be watching out for next year:

The Living End/Thomas Jefferson Survives - obviously

The Love Boat - Thinking a top three placing is very likely for him next year even without seeing his team

Golden Slumbers - The one most likely up for the title defense, and I suspect he'll have a strong team at that

Still Life - Most improved for 2017, and I think he'll have a stronger team in 2018 tbh

Pan Breed - Think he'll improve after his mistakes for 2017

Shaun of the Dead 69 - Think he'll have a major improvement next year

Droller Coaster - Same as above

Heading Nowhere - As will he

Crossing The Styx - Not on this forum, but is always consistent with his team, so their always one to watch

To Kill A Gabor Sister - He doubts himself, but I don't think his team will be as bad as he thinks

4 minutes ago, Grande Pablo said:

M6(Tolled) are back with a few tweaks.  Severn Trent have done well this year keeping the water clean.

This year will be the first time I've put in a 2nd themed team - might be richer pickings from this more specific grouping!

Thanks to everyone organising the DDP & this forum for the effort & fun.

#1 priority for Spade: coming up with a pun-like jokey description for all the theme teams. One of the little joys of my time as host...

CANCEL MY APPOINTMENTS – Sir Creep

Leah Bracknell
Ami Brown
Noel Conway
Rayya Elias
Jessica Falkholt – JOKER
Ronnie Galyon
Donnie Galyon
Greg Gilbert
Richard Haag
Karen Land
Devin Lima 
Jawara McIntosh 
Litsa Menounos
Liam Miller 
Kulsoom Nawaz
Abdelhak ‘Appie’ Nouri
Larissa Podermanski
Fernando Ricksen
Nobby Stiles
Marieke Vervoort

Sub 1: Dame Tessa Jowell
Sub 2: Reggie Wright, Jr. 

And my two ridiculous but amusing theme teams:      

DDP 2018 THEME TEAM (1):  GRIS GRIS

Robert ‘Bob’ Roberts – Rugby (105?)

Col. Gail ‘Hal’ Halvorsen – Berlin Candy Bomber

Michael “Mick” Michael – Lord Mayor of Perth 

Phil Philips (Baptiste) – ‘Sea of Love’

Pete G. Peterson – US Sec of Commerce

Eddie Edwards – Governor of Louisiana

U.E. ‘Pat’ Patrick – Car Racing team owner

Carl-Erik Eriksson – Olympic Bobsled

Joseph P. Josephson – Alaska state Senator

Glen Glenn (Orin G. Troutman) – Rockabilly musician

Ivan Ivanov (actor) – in Bloodsport 4: The Dark Kumite etc

Kris Kristofferson – Actor/Musician

Jacques Roger Booh Booh – Cameroon politician

Pat Patterson  - Gay Canadian wrestler

Elbert ‘Woody’ Woodson – 1-legged drummer  (NOTE:  Not convinced he isn't already dead.  FB page has condolences in June 2016, no mention 2017).

Sirhan Sirhan – Kennedy assassin

José José (José Rómulo Sosa Ortiz) – Mexican singer, drunk/addict (67) - JOKER

John ‘Cocksy’ Cocks – NZ TV Presenter

Alfred Freddoso – Professor of Philosophy, Univ of Notre Dame

Chris Christie – NJ Governor

DDP 2018 THEME TEAM (2):  IVAN IDEA FOR A THEME TEAM  ----   TEAM DELETED -- TEAM DELETED

Ivan Ivanov (archer), 1992 Summer Olympics

Ivan Ivanov (badminton, b 1966), retired badminton player from Bulgaria

Ivan Ivanov (cross-country skier, b 1987), Russian cross-country skier

Ivan Ivanov, (cyclist, b 1960), Soviet racing cyclist

Ivan Ivanov, (footballer, b. 1942), Bulgarian international footballer

Ivan Ivanov, b. 1983, Bulgarian footballer who plays for PFC Svetkavitsa

Ivan Ivanov, (footballer, b. 1988), Bulgarian footballer who plays for FC Basel

Ivan Ivanov, (gymnast), 2000 Summer Olympics, Men’s all-around

Ivan Ivanov, (long jumper, b. 1938), Bulgarian long jumper, 1962 European Athletics Championships

Ivan Ivanov, (runner, b. 1948), Soviet middle-distance runner, 1972 Summer Olympics, 1500 metres

Ivan Ivanov, (speedway rider), Russian ice speedway rider, 2010 Ice Racing World Championships

Ivan Ivanov, (sport shooter, b. 1921), Bulgarian Olympic shooter

Ivan Ivanov, (swimmer, b. 1979), retired Kyrgyzstani swimmer

Ivan Ivanov, (weightlifter, b. 1971), Olympic weightlifter for Bulgaria

Ivan Ivanov, (wrestler, b. 1986), Bulgarian Greco-Roman wrestler

Ivan Ivanov, (actor), in Bloodsport 4: The Dark Kumite

Ivan Ivanov, (diplomat), Russian Ambassador to Afghanistan -- (JOKER)

Ivana Ivanović, (38 yrs old), Serbian football midfielder, currently playing for SFK Sarajevo in the Bosnian League.

Ivan Ivanov, (host, b. 1975), Serbian television host, currently hosting Vece sa Ivanom Ivanovicem

Ivan Ivanović (born 1981), Serbian rapper known by his stage name ‘Juice’

UPDATE: I have given Spade permission to drop the Ivan theme team.  I could only find photos for about 2/3 of the entries, although I DID find a few I could insert at another go 2019 lol.  Anyway, Spade Cooley has enough on his plate without having to suffer through this Ivan Idea theme team.  Will try again next year, as stated.

SC

• Like 2

My list:

1  Franco Zeffirelli (Director and WW2 veteran) (Joker)

2  Daniel Ellsberg (Released Pentagon Papers)

3  Gene hackman (Actor)

4  Anton Coppola (Composer, brother of Carmine, uncle to Francis Ford)

5  Alberto Uderzo (Cartoonist)

6  Frank Gehry (American architect)

7  Marieke Vervoort (Paralympic athlete)

8  Alberto Fujimori (Former Peruvian president)

9  Chuck Yeager (Speed demon)

10  Lee Iacocca (Former president of Ford)

11  Clois Leachman (Actress)

12 J ames Hong (Actor)

13  Valéry Giscard d'Estaing (Former French president)

14  Kirk Douglas (Actor and WW2 Vet)

15  Karl Lagerfeld (Fashion designer)
16  Olivia Newton-John (Singer and actress)

17  Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (speaks for itself)

18  Jean Marie Le Pen (Vile person)

19  Tony Bennett (Singer)

20  Paul Bocuse (Cook)

Reserves:

Georg Ratzinger (Priest and brother of ex-pope)

Doris day (Actress)

Prince Philip (bastard)

Good luck to everyone. Here is mine.

The End of the World As We Know It

Leah Bracknell (Joker)
George H. W. Bush
Kirk Douglas
Rayya Elias
Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Rev. Billy Graham
Valerie Harper
Clive James

Jose Jose
Tessa Jowell
John McCain
Catherine Nevin
Olivia Newton-John
Linda Nolan
Javier Perez de Cuellar
Isabel Peron
Prince Philip
Charlotte Rae
Stefan Karl Stefansson
Nobby Stiles

I submitted my hastily scribbled list. I've read the DDP Rules & Scoring a few times: before sharing it here, may I have confirmation that 20 *unique* picks aren't required? 

Good luck and Happy 2018 to all.

Team Name: Scythe Matters

1. TBD *JOKER*
2. Fernando Ricksen
3. John McCain
4. Leah Bracknell
5. Rayya Elias
6. Tessa Jowell
7. Stefan Karl Stefansson
8. Clive James
9. Alberto Fujimori
10. Linda Nolan
11. John Hume
12. Leontyne Price
13. Shane MacGowan
14. Alison Lurie
15. George H.W. Bush
16. Jimmy Carter
17. Jill Gascoigne
18. Rosamunde Pilcher
19. Barbara Bush
20. Dennis Skinner

Substitutes:

A. Muriel Pavlow

B. Philip Mountbatten (aka Prince Philip)

C. Yasuhiro Nakasone

ETA: Gah! I saw my error while away from the laptop on an afternoon stroll. I sent an email via the phone but it didn't sync up with my laptop's email client, so who knows if my 1st sub is in 1st place, or my requested replacement purportedly sent at 22h41m GMT 31 Dec 2017. Who needs drunkenness when one has ADHD?

Not at all, in fact, the vast majority of the picks aren’t unique. 

35 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Not at all, in fact, the vast majority of the picks aren’t unique. 

That is rich coming from you, you are the least novel person on this website. You're list might as well be called, the most obvious list of people likely to die. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Death Impends said:

@Deathray Last year, Sir Creep posted a few theme teams in the DDP thread assuming it'd count as a submission. It didn't. So on that I'd recommend sending Spade some emails.

That's correct, I hope everyone lived and learned vicariously through my boner last year.   A-hem.
SC

9 hours ago, gcreptile said:

I bet the chance of unique hits will decrease even more with all those B-Teams.

If I had allotted more time, and wasn't such a silly goose with my goofy theme teams I threw together in an hour, I'd have sent in a 'theme team' primarily with the intent of destroying a number of names I wasn't quite ready to use, but were likely being used by other, and taking down any possibility of a unique hit.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.  I very likely will use this tactic next year, so hate me now cuz it's gonna happen.
SCreep

Just now, Sir Creep said:

If I had allotted more time, and wasn't such a silly goose with my goofy theme teams I threw together in an hour, I'd have sent in a 'theme team' primarily with the intent of destroying a number of names I wasn't quite ready to use, but were likely being used by other, and taking down any possibility of a unique hit.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.  I very likely will use this tactic next year, so hate me now cuz it's gonna happen.
SCreep

The twist will be when you accidentally put a bunch of them on the Drop 40 for others. :D

• Haha 4

Well. I rushed my list out, but I submit it nonetheless. This is my first time doing this, good luck to all :) 

6 minutes ago, msc said:

The twist will be when you accidentally put a bunch of them on the Drop 40 for others. :D

haha excellent point mate.
Well I already see I've no chance this year.  Not sure how everyone thinks....how the hell is Falkholt not a slam dunk first few names on your lists I do not know.  I anticipated Drop 40 slam dunk for her, but I don't see another team listing her that posted.  lol oh well.  I lose 6 points cuz I chose her as Joker over Bracknell.  Ugh! 

SC

First time doing this, and I may have rushed my lists out, but I got them out!

1 minute ago, Sir Creep said:

Well I already see I've no chance this year.  Not sure how everyone thinks....how the hell is Falkholt not a slam dunk first few names on your lists I do not know.  I anticipated Drop 40 slam dunk for her, but I don't see another team listing her that posted.  lol oh well.  I lose 6 points cuz I chose her as Joker over Bracknell.  Ugh! 

SC

:huh: You wouldn't lose anything if they both die. A 20-something that doesn't make the Drop 40 would be equal in value to a 50-something that does.

• Like 1

Team submitted.  I've kept it very simple this year, as I felt the team almost picked itself.   Have resisted temptation to add stylish potential unique picks...apart from just now when I dropped in two right at the last minute :rolleyes:

Good luck to everybody who plays, and to everybody who is picked.   

46 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

SC

I don't think she is a slamdunk at all,even under worst case scenario some people are kept alive for years. With her parent's and sis dying if her family is religious even more incentive for them to keep her on a machine long as possible

• Like 1