Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

Hey, I'm a football mad Scot, and I thought he'd get local press only. So we can't really blame the Americans here!

24 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

North Americans tend to underestimate just how crazy Europeans are about their soccer football.

FTFY

• Like 2

First year doing this so played ir pretty safe

Team Name: Aber-Deads

Joker (Pick 1): John McCain
Pick 2: Leah Bracknell 
Pick 3: Marieke Vervoot
Pick 4: Bobby Welsh (great train robber)
Pick 5: Stirling Moss 
Pick 6: Geoff Capes (UK world strongest man)
Pick 7: Mel Brooks
Pick 8: Salvador Sobral (eurovision)
Pick 9: Kamala 
Pick 10: Tessa Jowell 
Pick 11: Jim Bowen
Pick 12: Roger Bannister
Pick 13: Roy Wood (wizard)
Pick 14: Chris Rea
Pick 15: Murray Walker 
Pick 16: David Prowse
Pick 17: Billy Connelly 
Pick 18: Linda Nolan
Pick 19: Ron Jeremy
Pick 20: Jacque Chirac

IMHO Death Impends will finally win DDP this year, but it will be a stiff competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drol said:

IMHO Death Impends will finally win DDP this year, but it will be a stiff competition.

By definition it can be nothing else.

• Haha 3

Deadest person entered, as far as I can ascertain, was Barry White, who's been dead a mere 15 years.

16 hours ago, CaptainChorizo said:

Is it too early to say the abundance of B and C team's should be a reason to get rid the drop 40 bonus in 2019. The drop 40 bonus was create to give a boost to picking more traditionally famous people like Stan Lee,Prunella Scales etc.  The wave of top teams having a secondary squad and sometimes C squad is gonna insert the drop 40 with the cancer picks like Clegg,Cryne's,Goodwin's,Alcock's etc over the Stan Lee's and Prunella Scales

I see what you're getting at: a sort of blood doping only for stiffs.

That's what happens when you introduce rules, people will try to find a way of getting round them. This "trend" in having B-teams has come about because they often do as well if not better than the so-called "A" teams! I think it maybe a lack of confidence in said main teams, so there's a bit of hedge betting going on. As for the cancer celebs and FFBIs potentially making the Drop 40, again it's human nature to follow trends and we often see some of the most cunning picks survive the year then get picked by a load of teams jumping on the bandwagon. However, as we saw with Daisy Berkowitz, if they don't die when they're supposed to, they often fall out of favour and when they do end up dead, only a few teams end up picking up the points!

You pay your money and take your choice.

1 hour ago, Deathbysnoosnoo said:

First year doing this so played ir pretty safe

Team Name: Aber-Deads
[snip]

Pick 6: Geoff Capes (UK world strongest man)
[snip]

For some reason, I was sure that Geoff Capes died years ago.    I was just about to post that you'd picked a dud when I thought I'd better Google him first, just so I didn't make a fool of myself and, behold, he lives!   

You learn a new thing every day on these forums. :huh:

• Like 1

Interesting analyses of people's teams going on.

Now, how many of your team do you actually care about?

I'll throw my main team into the mix then...

PEDRO’S CATACOMB DWELLERS

1 Leah Bracknell Joker!

2 Major Mike Sadler (Last survivor original SAS)

3 Lady Myra Butler

4 Fred Sutherland

5 Olivia newton John

6 Carmen Franco Alfred Worden (Astronaut0

7 Mary Stopes-Roe (Barnes Wallis daughter)

8 Alan Braden (Band leader)

9 Bill Pitman (Guitarist)

10 Patrick Cryne

11 Stefan Karl Stefanson

12 Rayaa Elias

13 Alberto Fujimori

14 Peter Allis

15.Helen Clare

16.Valerie Harper

17.Clive James

18.Nanci Ryder

19.Nobby Stiles

20.Ian St. John

44 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Apologies, I didn't realise this was such a hard question.

*moves on*

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Apologies, I didn't realise this was such a hard question.

*moves on*

I was asleep, you know!

Define "care". Of the 60 people on my 3 teams, the only two I wouldn't raise a glass to are the two murderers. There are some I outright hope buck the trend - Falkholt,  Lewis - and others I have outright sympathy for their condition. I take no joy from the actual death (it's just part of life) but after the Tony Benn debacle*, I don't pick people who mean massive amounts to me on a personal level. Hence complete lack of Mr Lambie on any of my teams.

*My team in 2013 was shit. Benn was ill. I picked him the next year as a sort of jinx to try and keep him alive. Failed. Very sad. Not repeating that.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

My answer would be similar to msc.

I lost a family friend prematurely before Christmas who was a good person who deserved for me to care about his death at all levels (and I did). I use him here only to illustrate the point that I understand the pain of the death of a loved one.

The people I have selected in my death list teams I do not actually know at all although the world of celebrity would like me to think I did.

Most of the people on my teams are dying way before their time and I would not want anyone I truly knew or loved to be in their shoes although when death finally comes to claim them it will probably be a relief - none of my picks are going to die suddenly and unexpectedly.

My selections are based on a logical process (still flawed by being a newbie) to try and get a maximum score in a game that rewards young and famous deaths in my attempt to win the game. I cannot attempt to link dead pooling and caring because my mind has already divorced the two (rightly or wrongly).

As a related point I try to follow the following etiquette on this site. When someone dies I will be respectful in my comments on their thread and in the deaths of the year thread (unless there is a harmless joke or pun to make :P which sometimes I can't resist) however in the Dead Pool threads I can celebrate the points a death might earn me.

It's not perfect, like me, but I think dead pooling is a pretty harmless way to spend my time really. 

• Like 2

Thanks for responding guys.

What I meant was not necessarily some deep affection. When I said "care", I meant something along the lines of someone who you could start off a response to their death in one of the following ways:

"I remember that time..."

"...affects me...."

"I met......and..."

"Interesting point you might not know about...."

"(S)He was so evil...."

or some such. Do you see where I am coming from?

The analyses were so cold, so distant.

6 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Thanks for responding guys.

"I remember that time..."

"...affects me...."

"Interesting point you might not know about...."

The analyses were so cold, so distant.

Well, I've not met any of them. The analyses are cold by default, it's people assessing others chances of death after all.

In short, for Pan Breed alone (for time, etc)

- I remember when John McCain offered the C4N guy a cup of tea back in 2000. I rooted for him to win the primaries, but he lost to Bush. I still think he'd have been a better President than Bush or Gore (why is it always Clinton associates who fail to campaign in really easy Democrat states and then lose them?). Also, his "I slept like a baby" response to losing the Presidency in 2008 was really funny.

- I remember when Kathleen Blanco got left holding the can at Hurricane Katarina.

- Interesting point about Patrick Cryne - it's very easy to cut and run in his situation, and I doubt many would have begrudged him selling to the first American billionaire. Instead, his family are major shareholders, the council own part of the land so it can't be sold off for a quick buck, and he's got some of his friendly co-millionaires to invest in the club after he's gone. Bar curing his own cancer, Cryne could have done little else to try and protect Barnsley football club after he's gone. So much respect.

- I was offered a copy of Harley Loco years ago, long before Rayya Elias took ill. I turned it down.

- I don't watch soaps, but my wife fondly remembers Leah Bracknell's lesbian character on Emmerdale.

- Greg Gilbert's band are OK. They're not the Tragically Hip or Surfer Blood (Hip being genuinely great, and Blood have one or two really catchy songs you cannot get out of your head) but I always give the bands which show up on here a listen. Even if they were as awful as Holly Dunn, RIP to her.

- Philomena Lynott bumped into my mum once, in the 80s (ie Phil was alive). Apparently she were nice.

- I think Toothill climbing Everest - a difficult task for any healthy person - while suffering from advanced cancer was worthy of the greatest respect, and his place here is a tip of the hat for that.

- Vanessa Goodwin not only has a doctorate in law, but full honours in criminology, and so was massively qualified for her role as Attorney General. Which is more than you can say for, err, David Davis and most British politicians.

- I remember the coverage of the Black Widow case in the Daily Record. At the time, I thought Nevin foolish to involve others in her own murder plot - other people equal tattlers when the police are there. I still do. *innocent face*

- Carl Piddington is a link to Bill Tarmey, who's death scene in Corrie is actually one of the best in British TV.

- I've never been able to stand Tessa Jowell, tbh. She seemed one of those prime Blairites who is great at reading from a prepared script, but who falls apart as soon as you actually question them.  She also completely misunderstood the Corbyn/youth thing. I still don't wish glioblastoma on here, though.

- While I can't point to the Best of Matt Cappotelli, due to events (he did manage a run in Ohio Valley which is nigh impossible to track down), it will always sadden me that his potential was snuffed out. Back in training, every report was that this guy got it, that he was the best of that generation of intake. His Tough Enough co-winner, Johnny Mundo/Morrison, is a multi-time IC Champ, and a huge thing in Lucha Underground, etc etc, and Matt was meant to be *even better*, but we completely missed out on him.

- I am dreading when Stefan Karl Stefansson dies, because you know how France went for Johnny Hallyday, or older folk went for Bowie? That's basically what the younger members of my family will be like for him, they ADORED LazyTown, like how I adored Timmy Mallet when I were 3, or the wean loves that bloody Mr Tumble.

- I remember watching Liam Miller's goal againt Lyon live, after 28 passes. I jumped out of my seat and applauded, and I never do that for Old Firm goals. At the time I defended his move to United against my staunchly Celtic supporting pals, now I recognise it were a move too soon. He was a great talent in potential though. Should have played for Scotland!

- Satoru Anzaki: did you know his time as Komatsu President (1995-2001) coincided with their expansion into China, and a licence to build the articulated trucks of Europe.

- I never took part in Pete Frates's Ice Bucket Challenge because it would kill me!

- Steffan Lewis was considered a future First Minister. How he'd achieve that from Plaid, I'm not sure.

- I have listened to Devin Lima's song. It is shit. I still don't wish cancer on him.

Anyone else already starting there long list for 2019?

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Well, I've not met any of them. The analyses are cold by default, it's people assessing others chances of death after all.

In short, for Pan Breed alone (for time, etc)

Yeah, a number would have sufficed! :lol: But an interesting analysis of your team nonetheless.

I think we'd better leave the eulogies themselves for when the people actually die.

I.e. just trying to balance out the thread. Maybe it would have been easier to ask how many of your team could you respond with "Hit #...for me" before rushing off to see how the rolling scoreboard places you in the standings!

10 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Anyone else already starting there long list for 2019?

If by that you mean am I holding onto all the scraps of paper with names I sifted through, highlighted, crossed off, wrote their ailments, etc etc. and put them into a folder so I won't have to go through that shit again....then yes.

SC

Just now, Sir Creep said:

If by that you mean am I holding onto all the scraps of paper with names I sifted through, highlighted, crossed off, wrote their ailments, etc etc. and put them into a folder so I won't have to go through that shit again....then yes.

SC

Now I'm meaning already started googling terms like "terminally ill musician" and "artist with brain cancer" and filing any names on a brand new spreadsheet.

Okay I'll give it a go.

GUN Fishing

Joker (Pick 1): Stefan Karl Stefansson - never watched Lazy Town, he's my joker so I think he's going to die this year and get me lots of points.
Pick 2: Erica Garner DNS Subbed by DJ Casper - hated Cha Cha Slide - he might die this year he might not
Pick 3: Liam Miller - Martin O Neill seemed pretty upset about him being ill but I don't know him or even know if he will die this year but he's young and he might get me lots of points - sad.
Pick 4: Linda Nolan - hated The Nolans and she's not even that good a pick - probably less than 50% likely to die this year.
Pick 5: John McCain - he's had a life and now he's dying and will be on Dop 40 so should score me some points.
Pick 6: Nobby Stiles - old footballer whose mind is gone - time to go and get me some points - wasn't even born when we won the Workd Cup so no personal attachment.
Pick 7: Patrick  Cryne - wouldn't even know this guy existed if he wasn' dying - thibk he will die and get me some points.
Pick 8: Leah Bracknell - never watched Emmerdale - think she will die and get me some points.
Pick 9: Rayya Elias - who?? But she's dying and should get me some points.
Pick 10: Vanessa Goodwin - who?? Hopefully one of the QO sources will notice when she goes and get me some points.
Pick 11: Tessa Jowell - ah politician I've actually heard of her but not even sure which party she was in - they're a dodgy lot politicians and she has a good chance of dying and getting me some points.
Pick 12: Tiffany Youngs - some rugby player's wife who is dying - tragic for them but good chance she will die and get me some points.
Pick 13: Greg Gilbert - The Delays who??? Apparently he's going to die soon so hope it's this year and they get me some points.
Pick 14: Gabriel Grunewald - tragic case of a runner who was first diagnosed at 22 - ruined a promising career and looks like cancer eventually will get better if her - possibly not this year but I wanted to try for a unique in my first year - as a runner myself this is my only pick I feel something for.
Pick 15: Dean Francis - boxer - never heard of him before he was dying - think he might die this year and get me some points.
Pick 16: Total Biscuit - who and what sort of name is that but he might die this year and get me some points.
Pick 17: Steffan Lewis - young politician I've never heard of and not even sure how Ill he is - probably 50:50
Pick 18: Pete Frates - famous for ice bucket challenge and will probably die this year or next - I'm hoping it's this year.
Pick 19: Marieke Vervoort - when she goes it will be her own choice and I will be happy for her - hopefully this year so I get some points.
Pick 20: Simon Ricketts - ah another mistake possibly as he's on alternative treatment that is working (I now know) - who is he? Some journalist but never read any of his stuff and he's probably not going to get me any points either.

A team full of pathos and points.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Okay I'll give it a go.

Pick 14: Gabriel Grunewald - tragic case of a runner who was first diagnosed at 22 - ruined a promising career and looks like cancer eventually will get better if her - possibly not this year but I wanted to try for a unique in my first year - as a runner myself this is my only pick I feel something for.

So, one then? ^_^

• Like 1

For example, I have 60 names spread across my three DDP teams. I'd say that only 3/60 I have picked based with little to no knowledge of them other than their possibility of being a hit.

Maybe that's why I do so badly...:P

• Haha 1

There are many routes to the same path!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, msc said:

There are many routes to the same path!

Perhaps I need a better sat-nav.

• Like 1