Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

I'm now starting to see why people are wanting to ban a second B Team, particularly with the controversy of Grim's nearly identical teams. I still don't think they should be completely banned though, especially since that'll eliminate some interesting but too old names from ever being used. Instead, I think a better idea is similar to the 11 hour period after the main deadline for the DDP is shut, ie to enter them at the hosts discretion. For example, if a second team mainly has borderline potential drop 40 picks that looks like it might have an impact on it, don't include it. But if you see a second team mainly with old and interesting folk that are ill but too old for main team glory with no drop 40 chance, then that would get accepted. Just a thought from me...

Cancerous Hatred 1 and 2 had 15 identical picks. There was no controversy. There is none. Asking the host to spot Drop 40 picks ahead of time is added and unnecessary work. There is no need to overthink things.

• Thanks 1

Just now, msc said:

Cancerous Hatred 1 and 2 had 15 identical picks. There was no controversy. There is none. Asking the host to spot Drop 40 picks ahead of time is added and unnecessary work. There is no need to overthink things.

One hundred per cent agree.

Crikey, throw a "host's discretion" into the mix with hundreds of teams....:o

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

One hundred per cent agree.

Crikey, throw a "host's discretion" into the mix with hundreds of teams....:o

Aha, I see the intent here: to put Spade in the looney bin, and thus prevent him winning the DDP in 2020! It's a plot twist worthy of Christie...

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmm - as a first timer I must say my teams generating all this interest during the first 7 days is quite an honour (honor for Joey).

I can only hope someone is still talking about them come June and possibly even December.

Joey hates losing to me though so I think it's just a hangover from his first round Cup exit last year.

On the subject of B-Teams:

Yeah, not a big fan. 

I know the 'intention' behind them is to be able to use your obscure, risky findings without putting them on your safer main team. But the risky and interesting picks are just a small part of your average B-Team, the rest are the ten or so last names dropped from a contender's shortlist, and these are often good names. So B-Teams often end up doing as good as a main team, or sometimes better, like gcreptile's B-Team outperforming The Love Boat in 2017. B-Teams make it easy for a contender to have two teams in the top 20, which isn't exactly fair to other participants. For example, The Living End would have kept his top 20 streak alive if it weren't for gcreptile's two teams (sorry to be using you as a scapegoat, gcreptile, but obviously I can't use all the numerous 2018 B-Teams as examples yet).

Other than that, it's not really part of the spirit of the game. B-Teams are too much of a safety net. Part of the fun of the game is to narrow down your choices to the final 20, making choices and taking risks. Adding a B-Team is a way of getting around that and feeling less anxious. 

I agree with Toast and think the rules should be amended next year to allow only one main team and two theme teams.

But anyways, that's just my two cents. I'm not tryna launch myself into a lengthy debate like the one in the rolling scoreboard thread right now.

• Like 1

I thought about a B Team but decided it just seemed not to be in the spirit of the game.Plus my theme teams allowed me to pick some key picks such as Bracknell Jowell Hume Scales and some riskier picks like Danielle Westbrook Bruce Jones and Keith Vaz.My main team has been played very safe except for Gazza who is only there for being young and Drop 40 regular. 

Safety net, yes exactly. 

I just mentioned on another thread that when I started playing the DDP you were only allowed ONE team.  (Theme teams were introduced later.)

So you had to consider your choices very carefully. 

• Like 2

Well my three teams of crumbles are all quite distinct and different full of interesting names and probably a few unique picks like last year. They are in no way an attempt to game it via the drop dead 40 which is a part of the game that's not on my radar at all. 

The difficulty with thinking theme teams are the answer to not having b teams is that people could pick such very broad terms for their theme team like say American women over 60 that it is effectively a b team as people call it anyway. 

My prediction of the likelihood of death of my main team:

1)Rayya Elias:100%

2)Marieke Vervoot:98%

3)Bobby Zarin :97%

4)Liam Miller:95%

5)Matt Cappotelli:93%

6)John McCain:92%

7)Patrick Cryne :90%

8)Fernando Ricksen:85%

9)Dean Francis:80%

10)Stefan Karl Steffanson:75%

11)Devin Lima:73%

12)Noel Conway:71%

13)Pete Frates:70%

14)Greg Gilbert:65%

15)Morgan Tsvangirai :60%

16)Olivia Newton_John:58%

17)Linda Nolan:57%

18)Ami Brown :55%

19)Val Kilmer50%

20) Paul Gascoigne:45%

1 hour ago, msc said:

It amuses me how CH2 was described by Jiroemon as a "I had some really bad subs in the first team and wanted to put better picks in" team - except CH1 finished higher due to being the only one with Glen Campbell!

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Safety net, yes exactly. 

I just mentioned on another thread that when I started playing the DDP you were only allowed ONE team.  (Theme teams were introduced later.)

So you had to consider your choices very carefully. 

I think one team (and maybe one theme team) works better, and it means less work for the host. Running this game must be very time-consuming.

18 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Alright, trying to keep track of potential DDP hits for this year, here is everyone that has received a QO so far. Let me know if I missed someone:

January 1st:

Regis Manon - BBC obit

John Paul Steur - Sun obit

January 2nd:

Tony Calder - BBC obit

Rick Hall - Telegraph obit

Thomas Monson - BBC obit

January 3rd:

Rob Picciolo - Daily Mail obit

Jim Shaw - Reuters obit

January 4:

Aharon Appelfeld - Daily Mail obit

Brendan Byrne - Daily Mail obit

Rayya Elias - Telegraph obit

Bruce Halle - Daily Mail obit

Ray Thomas - Mirror obit

Hereward Wake - Times obit

January 5:

Asghar Khan - Daily Mail obit

Jerry Van Dyke - Daily Mail obit

John Young - BBC obit

January 6: 

Jim Anderton - Reuters obit

Peter Preston - Guardian obit

January 7: 

France Gall - BBC obit

Peter Sutherland - Reuters obit

List brought forward to new page. 

2 hours ago, Sean said:

My prediction of the likelihood of death of my main team:

1)Rayya Elias:100%

2)Marieke Vervoot:98%

3)Bobby Zarin :97%

4)Liam Miller:95%

5)Matt Cappotelli:93%

6)John McCain:92%

7)Patrick Cryne :90%

8)Fernando Ricksen:85%

9)Dean Francis:80%

10)Stefan Karl Steffanson:75%

11)Devin Lima:73%

12)Noel Conway:71%

13)Pete Frates:70%

14)Greg Gilbert:65%

15)Morgan Tsvangirai :60%

16)Olivia Newton_John:58%

17)Linda Nolan:57%

18)Ami Brown :55%

19)Val Kilmer50%

20) Paul Gascoigne:45%

Sean - I think most of your percentages are too high (apart from Elias obviously and also SKS but I'm a bit nervous about his 90% as he is my joker - perhaps 90 is too high). 

What would your score be if you applied these percentages to the applicable scores and based on your Drop 40 predictions?

For example I have Pete Frates - I think he's 50:50. I also have Linda Nolan - I think she's 30%. Liam Miller I've got him at 75% because of MON but he would still have looked the same if the poor guy only had 2 years to live - 75% could be too high.

I sit at about 153 based on my percentages so just wondering what your percentages score out at?

We have a Theme Team League, how about a B team League?

I suggest this now that I'm Joe Public complete with flat cap...

• Haha 3

B teams are for pussies. One main team and one theme team is enough. 

• Like 2

Next year I'm going to submit a C-Team. It will be full of cancer mums and Australians.

• Haha 1

Oh I've been entering a C-level quality team for years. It's called Pan Breed.

• Like 1

Coming up next: The Z-Team, a permanent residence for the likes of Lee Evans, Scott Thorson, and Ryan Buell...

• Like 2

1. Lee Evans
  2. Scott Thornson
  3. Ryan Buell
  4. Yoshiro Nakamatsu
  5. Catherine Nevin
  6. Frank Van Bleeken
  7. Christy Dignam
  8. Rick Davies
  9. John Wicks
  10. Aretha Franklin
  11. Alberto Fujimori
  12. Ami Brown

Trying to figure out how that might look like. Only got 12 names so far...

Jasper Carrott, Drew Carey, Ed Drummond, the lesser known Quincy Jones, Vojislav Seselj...

The Tarka the Otter guy? David something? That was another DDT one.

As for Nevin, I decided to call her bluff and played her again in 2018. Seem to be the only person to have gone for that among the regulars, so risky.

Larry Pickering

Edit: Oh, and the OPEC lady, Alison Mbukele-something-something.